Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another busy weekend

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
thanatu55

Another busy weekend

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:21 pm

It's been another weekend of hard work.

Relocated the 6 CD changer from the boot to the cabin (I'm firmly of the 'album' generation). This was actually an afterthought in the midst of the real pain in the a*$e of a job that was replacing the rear speakers. Those ones above the cubby-hole / subs that you can't get to without removing the entire back panels. I've heard people say they aren't worth the effort to replace them for all that they do. I would have to respectfully disagree. Yes it was a b****h to do, but if you're prepared to put in the work then as someone having tested the before and after the pay off is great and the difference is night and day.

I have the six speaker setup, so as well as replacing those rear speakers I also added Eton door speakers and Eton tweaters, and wired up a Kicker under seat active sub. Going from that puny factory setup to this, it sounds as good as I could ever have wished it to be without the Carver or ten speaker setup. The clarity is on point and the bass is deep and punchy.

Following on from last weekend's big brake upgrade on the front, this weekend I completed the job by doing the rears too. Since I had the rear wheels off to change the discs and calipers it was time for yet another experiment. I purchased some H&R lowering springs just for the rears. I've been disappointed with the tyre gap at the back since fitting my new wheels, yet I couldn't risk going lower at the front with my diffuser on or I'd never clear a speed bump, I already struggle as it is.

So my theory was if I try the smaller drop of 25mm, considering I already have M Sport suspension which is already around 15mm lower than standard, then technically I'm only lowering the rear by 10mm which I hoped would be small enough so as not to upset the balance of the car too much and won't stand out like a sore thumb.

My early conclusions are that in my opinion I just about get away with it. Both the front and the rear wheels fill the arches, there's no extra rubbing at the back and the front is as it was. I like the stance much more now rather than a*$e in the air. I'm sure there will be many that disagree with my opinion and I can deal with that. I'm also pretty sure that 9 out of 10 of the average man on the street wouldn't point it out without being told about it first.

And I love the new brakes and calipers :)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Another busy weekend

Post by Nictrix » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:33 pm

You should sweep your work area before you start anything. I couldnt be crawling about on all those stones on the monoblock.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

thanatu55

Another busy weekend

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Ah I don't mind a couple of grazes, I swept up afterwards and got rid of all the oil to keep the neighbours happy.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Another busy weekend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:53 pm

Great work OP. :thumbsup:

Your new brakes look great, and the car definitely sits better with that drop on the rear!

I like the idea of the stereo upgrade too - my first Coupe had the 10 speaker set-up but this one doesn't and it really is disappointing. :(

Saying that I seem to drive with it off most of the time so I can listen to the N52 engine - or maybe I'm just getting too old! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

thanatu55

Another busy weekend

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:07 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:53 pm Great work OP. :thumbsup:

Your new brakes look great, and the car definitely sits better with that drop on the rear!

I like the idea of the stereo upgrade too - my first Coupe had the 10 speaker set-up but this one doesn't and it really is disappointing. :(

Saying that I seem to drive with it off most of the time so I can listen to the N52 engine - or maybe I'm just getting too old! :lol:
Thanks!

I'm sure yours sounds much better than my 2.0i. If I had your engine I'd absolutely do the same, as it is though I'll have to make do with the the sound system. I can even hear it with the roof off now! :wink: :lol:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Another busy weekend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:36 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:07 pmI'm sure yours sounds much better than my 2.0i. If I had your engine I'd absolutely do the same, as it is though I'll have to make do with the the sound system. I can even hear it with the roof off now!
Sounds like a very good upgrade!

I had no real choice on the engine as I only wanted a Coupe (and couldn't afford an M). :(

Still mine sounds a bit better than most as the exhaust isn't quite standard. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Another busy weekend

Post by buzyg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Ride height looks spot on. :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Another busy weekend

Post by Marlon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Great work fella :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

EssexZed

Another busy weekend

Post by EssexZed » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:44 am

Like the changes :thumbsup: I bet you can feel that sub as well as hear it :lol:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Another busy weekend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:01 am

EssexZed wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:44 amLike the changes I bet you can feel that sub as well as hear it
Great improvements - I'm assuming that is what they mean by driving by the seat of your pants? :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Another busy weekend

Post by enzed4 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:16 am

Looks great. What speakers did you replace the rears with? Does the cover fit back on, or do they remain 'exposed' as in the photo. I had to replace one of them that was dead, so did both sides. Not sure they're a lot better, but at least it's not mono :) . Perhaps time to look at another set, although I'm more interested in the Sub as I don't have one, being the basic audio system.
Cheers.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

thanatu55

Another busy weekend

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:17 am

The rear speakers are JL Audio here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I was actually given some bogus information. I was told they are a simple straight swap, which technically they are because they go in no problem but just as you asked I would have preferred to have been able to put the oem covers back on but unfortunately the centre part of the speaker protrudes slightly too far and touches the cover when fitted. I'm looking for another solution or may leave as it is because the covers that come with the speakers are God awful. They sound great though.

The Sub is one of the main highlights. Being such a small cabin as it is, the bass fills it and more. I've actually had to turn it down quite a lot because it is LOUD and it's handled everything I've thrown at it. You definitely feel it where it's situated. If I was being greedy I'd have one under each seat but in all honesty they'd have to be turned way down or they'd be too overpowering.

It's on Amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/HS8-Kicker-Alu ... r+hideaway but I got it for half that on ebay.

Paulr

Another busy weekend

Post by Paulr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Those pockets behind the seats look very useful, where did you get them from?
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

thanatu55

Another busy weekend

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:50 pm

To be honest I hadn't even noticed them until you pointed them out, it's just how they came when I bought it. Are they not part of the seat?

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Another busy weekend

Post by patriot66 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:16 pm

The pockets behind the seats are loudspeakers if you have the 10 speaker system. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !