Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Damp patch rear off side.... Brake line?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
step_change

Post by step_change » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi. Last few times I reversed out of the garage I noticed a small damp patch - size of a hand - just in front of the off side rear wheel. Not a puddle but clearly something has dripped onto the floor. Just a bit in front of the wheel so not the caliper I don't think. I "tasted" this dampness and it was water-like in taste, not oily or anything. Hmmm, I'll keep an eye on that I thought. When got back home it had completely dried up so it is not oil otherwise it would still be puddled. Then today I had my amber ABS and amber warning lights come on driving up the M40. Did 80 miles like that, then stopped at Warwick services but when pulled off to go home it was gone. Car brakes fine.

Rear brake lines do you think? Expensive?
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Air con puddle is common, but this is too far back. The warning lights could just be a coincidence. Get them checked out if they reoccur. Could be anything from a dirty sensor to a failing ABS pump.

Could be your roof drains - there are small outlets near the rear mud flap where water drains out. If it’s a slow drip after the car is stationary then maybe your drains are partially blocked.

If your pour water very carefully along the rubber seal at the base of the roof, you can check if it comes out in the same location.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

step_change

Post by step_change » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks MrPT that's an interesting thought..... Glad I had the roof motor relocated then...!
Then again, why the ABS light coming on, then clearing on it's own?????

Will try pouring the water to see as you suggest.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:34 pm

step_change wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:31 pm Thanks MrPT that's an interesting thought..... Glad I had the roof motor relocated then...!
Ah, that’s interesting. Not sure whether the procedure involves clearing the drain or not, but either way, the hole in the bottom of the drain is tiny and easily blocked.
Then again, why the ABS light coming on, then clearing on it's own?????
There are three main causes of those lights coming on - dodgy sensor, dodgy battery or dodgy ABS pump - and they can all be intermittent, unfortunately. I can’t think of an obvious connection to the drip, but someone else might.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:45 pm

The pipes normally go on the nearside, just in front of the rear wheel, where they are exposed to all the crap getting chucked at them from the tyre. Ideally a code read to see what's causing the problems..

Mike

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 pm

If it’s leaking hydraulic fluid I doubt it would have dried up from from the floor? More likely to be water by the sound of it :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:26 am

Unscrew your whippy aerial and poke it down the drain to clear it. Puddle will probably get bigger but then no more puddles after that. :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:11 am

Rusky wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:26 am Unscrew your whippy aerial and poke it down the drain to clear it. Puddle will probably get bigger but then no more puddles after that. :thumbsup:
Aha, they're good for something! :D

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:40 pm

MrPT wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:11 am
Rusky wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:26 am Unscrew your whippy aerial and poke it down the drain to clear it. Puddle will probably get bigger but then no more puddles after that. :thumbsup:
Aha, they're good for something! :D
Ofcourse, isnt that why they are there? Never quite understand why people swap them for a stubby! How do you clean the drains with a stubby?! :tumbleweed: :poke:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:28 pm

If your leaking hydraulic oil, the level in the cylinder will be going down. If the oil is still at correct level then you arent losing any.