Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

e86 to TTS...?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JimBob78

e86 to TTS...?

Post by JimBob78 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Has anyone done it or tried one?
quite fancy trying 4wd plus they remap well and I can get a bike in the boot....
Any thoughts, experience and opinions more than welcome!

Angelus666

e86 to TTS...?

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:35 pm

I've got a 86M and a Mk2 TTRS (have had the Mk2 TTS) as well. The audi is the nicer place to be 90% of the time, much more refined on UK roads, quicker in 90% of UK weather and more relaxing overall. It's a really good car for not a great deal of money and still looks good today.

The other 10% that your 86 will offer is where car geeks like us enjoy the car the most.

Buckz

e86 to TTS...?

Post by Buckz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:25 pm

86 will be a better drivers car, TT will be a better car as a daily I'd say :) Both have pros and cons but I'd need to live with a TTS before I'd be able to tell what is better, I like RWD and fat engine up front.

Chris1981

e86 to TTS...?

Post by Chris1981 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Buckz wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:25 pm 86 will be a better drivers car, TT will be a better car as a daily I'd say :) Both have pros and cons but I'd need to live with a TTS before I'd be able to tell what is better, I like RWD and fat engine up front.
Completely agree... the Z4 is a beautiful handling car!

And remember because of the haldex based quattro AWD system the TTS will actually be front wheel drive most of the time, we all know how dull that is! If the steering on the TTS is anything like it was on my wife's old TT 2.0TFSI S-line you'd hate it, loads of under steer and no feeling at all!

However that said a TTS will out perform a 3.0si comfortably and has the potential to be tuned a lot easier than either the 3.2M or the si
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

e86 to TTS...?

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Question being which TTS? If current line they are pretty beasty and nice rides.. mk2 comes in 2 engines, the V6 is old hat now and the TFSI isn't anywhere near as good as the current line. Colleague of mine has the MK2 TTS TFSI and it isn't any quicker than my stupid 265BHP Fiesta ST up to 100MPH (off road of course)
Downside to owning the mid range.. You'll always be thinking of the RS.. which for what is it isn't a lot of money for a beast of a motor, plus the residuals on the RS line are far far better than the S' models. Look at the RS4 compared to the S4 and the same for 5s. Almost an investment when you look at how much they drop in price.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

Angelus666

e86 to TTS...?

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Yep, the TT steering is terribly dull, but TBH not that much different than your electric set up on your Si (the M is totally different).

If you have one car then the TT is a better option IMO

JimBob78

e86 to TTS...?

Post by JimBob78 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Yeah to be fair, not too bothered about steering feel, can't be any worse than Z4! I know Audi's have a reputation to understeer but all the reviews actually say it's quite a fun car to chuck around once you start planning for it.
I'm pretty sure the TTS only comes with the 4 pot S3 motor which has forged internals and remaps to 300+. It also has the magnetic dampers which is a real selling point as the Z4 is pretty appalling over bumps. But the one thing I'll really miss is the looks and sense of occasion, Tt's look boring and they're everywhere...!

Angelus666

e86 to TTS...?

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:33 pm

The magnetic dampers are ok, but it rides better with them turned off. We had 310hp on our TTS and it shifts along nicely, but you need the turbo to spool up and it comes in one big hit around 2.5rpm to 3.5rpm and then it's gone. The noise is average, it's a 4 cylinder and inside you hardly hear much going on.

Girls prefer the TT if that helps at all.... :?

Yorkie Z

e86 to TTS...?

Post by Yorkie Z » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:34 pm

As above the Audi is a nice place to be but the cars a bit dull. 4 wheel drive is really boring compared to RWD
A Dirty M///

JimBob78

e86 to TTS...?

Post by JimBob78 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:21 pm

When you say boring, is that because it won't oversteer or something else? I wouldn't hang the back out on public roads anyway and never seen anyone else do it so I'm not convinced that that's a factor for me personally but I probably need to drive one and see

Yorkie Z

e86 to TTS...?

Post by Yorkie Z » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:30 pm

JimBob78 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:21 pm When you say boring, is that because it won't oversteer or something else? I wouldn't hang the back out on public roads anyway and never seen anyone else do it so I'm not convinced that that's a factor for me personally but I probably need to drive one and see
Yeah boring from an oversteer point of view. If your not worried about that you'll probably quite enjoy the car. :thumbsup:
A Dirty M///

Zeld4

e86 to TTS...?

Post by Zeld4 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:33 pm The magnetic dampers are ok, but it rides better with them turned off. We had 310hp on our TTS and it shifts along nicely, but you need the turbo to spool up and it comes in one big hit around 2.5rpm to 3.5rpm and then it's gone. The noise is average, it's a 4 cylinder and inside you hardly hear much going on.

Girls prefer the TT if that helps at all.... :?
Power gone by 3.5k revs? Must have been something wrong with it surely?

Zeld4

e86 to TTS...?

Post by Zeld4 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 pm

I took a TTRS for a test drive about a year ago and while it has a fantastic engine, pretty much everything else is a let down compared to an E86 si. All the controls are too light, and the drive train whilst being driven by a great engine is sloppy. It just didn’t feel connected or together. The manual gear box was truly a shocker, rubbery and vague and the steering was just boring. It was a main dealer car so should have been well prepared.
A well set up Z4 is a far superior machine.

dhobbs

e86 to TTS...?

Post by dhobbs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 am

My neighbor has a MK2 TT but it's a diesel. I drove it and wasn't impressed. You got in it and immediately you are at home, all the dials in the right place, comfortable and easy to drive, just like a golf! Now that's probably a good thing for 90% of people but if you want something special..?
The old saying of "the journeys more important than the destination!".
The Z4 is the journey, whereas the TT is the destination.

This is just my opinion driving the diesel TT rather than the TTS/TTRS.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

BradleyB

e86 to TTS...?

Post by BradleyB » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 am

I had a mad couple of weeks where I fell out of love with my E85M for some unknown reason. In that period I went and test drove a 2012 TTS and as soon as I started the engine I was disappointed. There was no sense of occasion getting into it and it only got worse the longer the test drive went on.

It was extremely cramped and visibility was so limited all around the car I thought. My other half is 5ft 4 and in good shape and even she struggled for room in the back. Interior looked nice but the steering wheel felt tiny compared to the chunky M sport one!

Acceleration was ok but lack of noise made it all very boring!

Needless to say I did not call the dealership back with an offer...

Glad I did take it for a drive though as it made me realise how good the M (and I’m sure the 3.0si) actually is!
'56 ///MR