Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Adding compact Amp to Base Stereo set up HELP

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:31 pm
The bass you get out of a speaker is not simply a function of the size of the cone, but also the relationship between the speaker parameters and the enclosure. The rear cubbyboxes from memory are about 6L which is really not very big, this will dampen your speakers considerably and raise the effective resonant frequency and reduce the transient response (hence reducing bass).
This is very true, you are probably not going to get much down below 60Hz or so from that enclosure volume but then again I doubt you would get below 50Hz even with a long throw sub. At least with the coaxials you will get some good midrange and treble (although some don't like treble coming from behind... I think it adds a lot to my ears).

Others have fitted slim under seat subs to try to fill the bass gap (if you already have one this maybe something to consider) but again I doubt they go much below 45Hz with any kind of meaningful SPL.

See if you are happy with the bass once you get it all up and running and then take it from there.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Right, so that connects the 6x9's to the amp, but what about the front speakers (factory and added door one's)?
I would leave them as they are (i.e. driven by the head unit), then adjust the front / rear fader to get a good power balance between everything.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

Ferglar

Post by Ferglar » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:49 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:44 pm
Right, so that connects the 6x9's to the amp, but what about the front speakers (factory and added door one's)?
I would leave them as they are (i.e. driven by the head unit), then adjust the front / rear fader to get a good power balance between everything.
Brilliant, that makes sense. Adds a nice level of adjustment to I guess as I'll be controlling the 6x9's individually.

Those 4" seem quite popular in the "how to" I followed.

I think like you say get it up and running and see what's worth adding. The first aid kit box under the passenger seat seems quite shallow and I have the Kenwood here...

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/ca ... /KSC-SW11/

Ferglar

Post by Ferglar » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:16 pm

I appreciate that these are probably cheap rubbish but would these work better in the cubby holes?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2518646473

markalp

Post by markalp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Ferglar wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 am Right, I'm pretty sure I have exhausted every search option on this topic and not found the answer so bare with me...

I've finally acquired a 2007 roadster (just 7 years after my initial test drive) after the starting a family put my idea on ice!

I have the base stereo 6 speaker set up. After putting in an aftermarket stereo and subsequently removing due to ruining the look of the dash I want to improve my sound.

So I've ordered some 2 way 6x9's to go in the rear cubby hole's which I plan to run from the rear speaker wiring and not use the factory speakers.

I have also ordered 4" speakers for the doors to replace the current blanks which I will run off the tweeter wires.

Now to run this I've ordered a Pioneer GM D1004 compact amplifier that looks like it can run directly from the stereo with a din adapter. It's here...

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA ... s/GM-D1004

Now will this work?

Or have I ordered all the wrong stuff?

I know dangerously little about car audio and amp's so ideally want to avoid setting fire to my beloved zed!

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks
Have you looked into motorbike amps, there are some excellent small amps available, will put some links up when i get home.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Ferglar wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:16 pm I appreciate that these are probably cheap rubbish but would these work better in the cubby holes?

They may give you slightly more bass extension yes, but I guess it depends if you want any mids or highs (of which of course you will get virtually none of).

Ferglar

Post by Ferglar » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:39 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:32 pm
Ferglar wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:16 pm I appreciate that these are probably cheap rubbish but would these work better in the cubby holes?

They may give you slightly more bass extension yes, but I guess it depends if you want any mids or highs (of which of course you will get virtually none of).
In a car so small I'm guessing the sound from the footwell, tweeters and doors will be enough.

The 6x9's are mainly there to add some bass or depth. Now I'm thinking if they are the only thing being driven by the amp I might be better getting some cheap subs in the cubby holes instead?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Hard to judge the quality tbh and in a 6 litre enclosure you are pretty restricted what you can do with bass. In theory you have a bigger cone area on the 6x9" but you probably have more throw on the subs.

I suppose one option might be to do it the other way around - i.e. keep the back of the cubby hole enclosures open and block the vents up in the rear bulkhead (and any other obvious airways that lead from front to back). Then you effectively use your boot as the box and you should be able to easily hit the mid 30Hz on the bass. Parcel shelf will probably rattle like crazy so you would need to address that and I'm just not sure if the car would ventilate properly with the hood up and the vents blocked. Food for thought though.

Ferglar

Post by Ferglar » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:06 pm

markalp wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:26 pm
Ferglar wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 am Right, I'm pretty sure I have exhausted every search option on this topic and not found the answer so bare with me...

I've finally acquired a 2007 roadster (just 7 years after my initial test drive) after the starting a family put my idea on ice!

I have the base stereo 6 speaker set up. After putting in an aftermarket stereo and subsequently removing due to ruining the look of the dash I want to improve my sound.

So I've ordered some 2 way 6x9's to go in the rear cubby hole's which I plan to run from the rear speaker wiring and not use the factory speakers.

I have also ordered 4" speakers for the doors to replace the current blanks which I will run off the tweeter wires.

Now to run this I've ordered a Pioneer GM D1004 compact amplifier that looks like it can run directly from the stereo with a din adapter. It's here...

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA ... s/GM-D1004

Now will this work?

Or have I ordered all the wrong stuff?

I know dangerously little about car audio and amp's so ideally want to avoid setting fire to my beloved zed!

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks
Have you looked into motorbike amps, there are some excellent small amps available, will put some links up when i get home.
Thanks buddy, that'd be appreciated!

Ferglar

Post by Ferglar » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:09 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:56 pm Hard to judge the quality tbh and in a 6 litre enclosure you are pretty restricted what you can do with bass. In theory you have a bigger cone area on the 6x9" but you probably have more throw on the subs.

I suppose one option might be to do it the other way around - i.e. keep the back of the cubby hole enclosures open and block the vents up in the rear bulkhead (and any other obvious airways that lead from front to back). Then you effectively use your boot as the box and you should be able to easily hit the mid 30Hz on the bass. Parcel shelf will probably rattle like crazy so you would need to address that and I'm just not sure if the car would ventilate properly with the hood up and the vents blocked. Food for thought though.
I think I'll just run it like you said originally, I'll order up some polyester fibre stuff and half fill. Run off the amp on the bulkhead and go from there!

Thanks for all your help buddy, new to the forum but you've been a massive help!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:22 pm

You're welcome :thumbsup:

markalp

Post by markalp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:16 pm

I have listened to both of these and they sounded awsome when linked to focal k2 speaker setup in my old RX7, and were both small enougth to be mounted behind the dash.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rockfor ... -amplifier
http://www.biketronics.com/bt4180-180-watts-rms-x-4/

If i had to choose I would say the biketronics sounded better.

Another option could be.

https://www.nvx.com/mvpa4-4-channel-com ... -400w-rms/

We picked up one of these cheap off ebay when we were installing a surprise audio system on a mates quad bike, and was really impressed with the sound, very loud and clear for a 45 quid ebay find.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Ferglar

Post by Ferglar » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:09 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:22 pm You're welcome :thumbsup:
Sorry, one last question (probably)...

It is worth putting in this amp to power the rear 6x9's over just running off the factory stereo?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:50 pm

Oh yes - the amp will make a massive difference.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Not that I want to put my oar in but have you considered 4” components and tweets in the doors and a 10” sub in the boot run off a 3 channel amp? Two channels for the comps and 1 for the sub. Sound staging suggests keeping things up front rather than 6x9’s behind the seats.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29