Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dension or new head unit

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
jgu80

Dension or new head unit

Post by jgu80 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:36 am

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of improving the sound system in the zed.

The car has the 10 speaker pro hifi, business cd headunit and I added an aux input. When listening to cd's or the radio the sound quality is acceptable ( but it lacks depth and ain't that crisp), but listening to music from my iphone through the aux input is very disappointing.

I'd always scheduled improving the system, with new speakers and amp, but with all improvements I make to the zed I try to keep the car looking stock, so I had not wanted to replace the headunit.

So the point of the thread is, Dension Gateway Lite BT with lightning adapter, or simply replace the headunit?

Which is likely to provide the most satisfaction?
E85 3.0 SE Sterling Grey

mjennings23

Dension or new head unit

Post by mjennings23 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:22 am

I’m in a similar boat, don’t want to change the OEM head unit but want more features.

Have a look at GROM Audio, they do adaptors that take the place of the cd changer and emulate it, giving you the option of adding usb, aux and Bluetooth audio streaming all within the current control scheme.

I’m considering their BT unit as a stand-alone, as I’d rather not have to plug my phone in for audio... much easier/neater to keep it in my pocket and stream music wirelessly I find, but the usb unit can have Bluetooth added on.

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Dension or new head unit

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:27 am

HU doesn't tbh affect sound quality that much. The Pro Hifi in BMW is pretty damn good.
Speakers make a huge difference but don't go all out with max Watt ratings. If you are adding an amp in match the speakers to the AMP, for instance if it's a 400W AMP 4 channel amp, match it to the max 100W speakers but also pair the RDS rating. A high Max W speaker with a poor RDS will just give crap sound quality at loud volumes, the closer the RDS to Max the better you'll get (These get very expensive)
Material quality is also important, Get nice thick rubber cones but try and see how much they flex, if they are very rigid they'll give very good bass and loose ones provide the opposite. ideally with a rating down to 20hz.
Next thing is the source of the music and if digital like a phone pairing kbps rate, the higher the rate the better the quality (but uses more storage space 128 is generally the norm.

Now for the AMP and getting it to work with that many speakers will get a bit tricky imo, the way that I have generally done it in the past is to get in this car with 10 speakers, correct me if I am wrong but it's technically 6 speakers with 4 tweeters leeching off 4 main speakers. Would be to sever audio power to the speakers from the head unit. I'd run the signal to the amp via high level input (this is the speaker wire itself) and let the amp handle the rest, this also takes over the issue of remote turn on. 6 channel amps are huge money though.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

thanatu55

Dension or new head unit

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:02 am

I would say if you upgrade the speakers as suggested then it also matters which speakers you choose regardless of wattage, cone etc. etc. etc. Eton are exceptional speakers as well as officially being classed as 'BMW Upgrade Speakers'. They will slot in seamlessly with your current system as well as improving it ten fold and still appear OEM. I have the six speaker system and have added a set of these to the doors and replaced the tweeters with the corresponding Eton tweeters. They sound immense.

I am also reliably informed that Focal are great speakers with much of the above repeated though this is second hand information as I haven't had any experience of them personally.

As far as replacing the head unit, I'm sure there are plenty better than the stock head unit in isolation, I just think they look a bit untidy and out of place with the design of the dash. Just my opinion.

If you want more options then mjennings23 suggestion sounds like a good solution.

jgu80

Dension or new head unit

Post by jgu80 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Thanks guys. I'll look into the GROM audio.

I was looking at replacing the component door speakers with a set of Focal PS165F3's.

I was then looking to replace the rear speakers, but I'm not sure what to replace them with. The current set up has a 16cm Woofer and 10cm mid. I'm leaning towards replacing them with another set of the Focals and adding the tweeters.

Noted the advice about the amp, it's not going to be cheap, but I'm budgeting about £300-£400 for a decent 4 channel amp.
E85 3.0 SE Sterling Grey

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Dension or new head unit

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:09 pm

Focal are very very good. If any are about Rockford Fosgate. they don't make every size and sometimes are quite deep making fitting in doors impossible without being a bodger.
I have a Grom on order at the moment, should be here pretty soon. Seems to be worth it.

For the rears as these take the lower end of the spectrum (bass mainly) get some that are pretty beefy with deep cones (tons of room here) and set the amp filter to funnel the bass to the rear (if the amp has the capability)

Not sure where you are located but Caraudiosecurity have a pretty good shop near Heathrow and will help you out with a decent set up.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

mjennings23

Dension or new head unit

Post by mjennings23 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:32 pm

From what I understand you have the mid range stereo system too? (6 speaker was basic, 10 speaker mid and 10 speaker Carver DSP system the top one)

I believe the first two are quite easy to add in extra components, change amps etc without much issue. I have the DSP system however, and it’s not so simple! Aside from the fact it seems to be wired totally different to every wiring diagram, the factory subs are also very high voltage units owing to their compact size and it seems they don’t like playing with aftermarket amps.

I believe a 4+1 channel amp would be the best solution, can get some very solid ones for under £400 and that way you have four audio channels and one for the subs.

I expect passive crossovers are needed for the doors to split the sound to the mid and tweeters

thanatu55

Dension or new head unit

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:20 pm

I just replaced the upper rear speakers, see here: http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100968.

I replaced them with JL Audio C2-400x and the difference they have made is huge. However if you want to change these speakers, be prepared to set aside a day or two to do it as you need to remove the entire rear section of the car, including the rear centre console and either side of it. This in itself is not straight forward, there are a number of different panels, screws, clips and bolts to tackle. Much of which seem entirely unnecessary but are essential to get behind there. I now need to do it all over again to change the centre console finisher trim.

If you can be bothered I think it's worth it in the end.

pip_pill

Dension or new head unit

Post by pip_pill » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:03 pm

I not planning on changing the speakers - YET! but here is my take on improving the input to the Stock system (I have Business CD - HIFI with DSP in trunk input! (I posted this in the Zpost forum this week http://www.zpost.com/forums/index.php)

As many of the discussion on the forum are several years old this is my take on installing/upgrading the Business CD radio - I'm not looking for getting a qualification in Radio installs, I just want a quick quality solution to plug in or with minimal install and provides input of ..ipod/USB drive/bluetooth/android/iphone - charges the Ipod - changes Ipod from radio/MFS when attached - works with the installed Radio
Allows song data on the head unit/plays playlists and works with the Multifunction steering wheel -Just installed this to my 2003 write up here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16422#p239126 -

Here are my list of manufacturers for the DSP Radio OEM option (and none DSP - without the adaptor or with a different unit)...

1 BMW OEM No DSP Not a lot of good other than AUX cable

2 Dice Audiovox DSP Not directly supported - third party support is average and Crutchfield are not knowledgeable about DSP issue
Unclear as to What happened to Dice or product longevity with Audiovox or if its even made anylonger
http://www.voxxelectronics.com/OEI/
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_220CBM...C-BMW-DSP.html
a DICE MBR-1500-BMW NLA $0.00
b DICE DUO-100-BMW Silverline NLA
c Audiovox A-ACC-BMW-DSP $79.99
Sound quality unknown - some reports of interference.

3 Grom Audio - Seems to be well supported and useful Customer support chat https://gromaudio.com/
a BMW Mini 98-06 GROM USB Bluetooth Android iPod adapter - TRUNK $149.99
b BMW DSP CONVERSION KIT $69.99
c GROM In-Car Bluetooth Extension for select GROM kits, 10FT $49.99
d AUX-IN 3.5mm audio and 5V USB Charging cable , 5FT $14.99
Expensive at $300 for all capability
Concerned with long cable runs for possible interferance
Sound quality unknown

4 Interavee
http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/BMW.html
a Intravee II £109.98
b DSP Adapter £68.99 OUT OF STOCK
http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/BMW.html
I cant work out what I need from the web site and no customer support to help - other than an email request page on the web site I don't know if they support DSP workaround
Coaxial type connector you will also need a separate analogue to digital converter.
Don't know who makes this product. supplied by third party distribution
Sound quality unknown

5 mObridge - its been mentioned but no information
Web selection no longer covers z4 E85 2003+
Sound quality unknown

6 PAC Audio - its been mentioned but no information
https://pac-audio.com/?fc=module&mod...mp-sbv-submit=
I think this uses the Antenna to input to the radio
Sound quality unknown FM quality

7 Yatour -available from Asia on ebay -seems to have DSP solution but no customer support http://www.yatour.net/shop/?type=detail&id=53
On ebay = DSP KIT FOR YATOUR BMW04 DIGITAL MUSIC CHANGER / IPHONE IPOD ADAPTER US $60.00
Sound quality unknown

8 Parrot
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_333MKI...g&awug=9002273
MKi9200 $239.99
Sound quality unknow

9 USA Spec
https://www.usaspec.com/p-329-pa12-bmw_dsp.aspx
a PA12-BMW_DSP - DSP connection built in - interface adaptor are capable of connecting two audio sources $189.99
Sound quality unknow

10 Denison
http://shop.dension.com/
No DSP support
Sound quality unknow

At the moment I going with Grom because
1 got some good advice from the company
2 they understood my question and understood the DSP issue
3 don't look as if the company is going to disappear in the near future - can only hope!

Please tell me if i'm wrong or what your experience/advice is
Last edited by pip_pill on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Dension or new head unit

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:58 pm

The 10 speaker DSP system is actually VERY good. I have it in mine and the sound quality is excellent. Plenty of bass due to the 4 subs and clarity is excellent.

If your's doesn't sound good, have you checked to make sure it isn't in one of the other DSP modes? Jazz mode is very good all round I find.

Regarding listening from other devices, with the DSP system it's really straight forward and relatively inexpensive.

All you need to do is fit an SOT lead and something like a parrot kit with Bluetooth audio streaming. Because it hooks into the line level inputs, streamed or stored music quality is excellent, and you will control the sound with the oem controls.

Mike

srhutch

Dension or new head unit

Post by srhutch » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:51 pm

Have to say for iPod/iPhone intergration you will struggle to beat the intravee. Added functionality over and above the apple integration. Best used if you have nav though.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Dension or new head unit

Post by enzed4 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:38 pm

I fitted the non-BT Dension unit to my Business CD system and it works well (but no DSP, so compatibility wasn't an issue). I wish I'd gone with the BT unit but there was a lot of confusing info on the website as to whether it would work or not (can't see why it wouldn't, but as the cost was high, and the distance considerable, returning it would have been problematic). I've yet to see anyone post on this forum to say they have the BT Dension so I'm still not sure about it.
Mounted out of sight in glovebox, and USB socket next to Aux input under heater controls.
Very happy with mine, but just have to load music onto usb drive, which is rapidly becoming 'old school in this age of BT streaming.

Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Rodintampa

Dension or new head unit

Post by Rodintampa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Hey Pip,
The updated information is greatly appreciated!! I have the 2006 e85 and most of the info out there is really outdated.
Im trying to find a solution that would allow me to have Sirius/USB together. The grom does not seem to deal with Sirius, and like you said the dice is no longer available. The Sirius tuner is plugged into the cd changer so not sure how I can add usb into the mix.

Thanks again for the updated info
Rod