Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CD Changer - Power Source

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
csquire4

Post by csquire4 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi, probably a stupid question but where does the CD changer get its power source (2004 model) ?.

I have installed a Dension Gateway and I am getting buzzing on AM/MW (I like Radio 5/5 Live !!).

The CD changer has been disconnected from the head unit but was wondering if power is still connected and interfering with the Dension?

When I disconnected the Dension and put everything back to normal the buzzing stopped.

Any advice please.
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:41 pm

You may need to disconnect the plugs on the changer end as they'll be on the bus network I think
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:55 pm

markplant wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:41 pm You may need to disconnect the plugs on the changer end as they'll be on the bus network I think
Correct, there are two plug, and best to disconnect both.

csquire4

Post by csquire4 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Cheers guys. :thumbsup:

What is the best way to access rear of the CD changer? I removed most of my interior to paint my wooden trim earlier this year and not keen to do it again so hoping I can do it an easier way.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:16 am

srhutch wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:55 pm
markplant wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:41 pm You may need to disconnect the plugs on the changer end as they'll be on the bus network I think
If they are can-bus connectors, you need to link them to each other with a jumper otherwise the system will detect the break in the network and cause all sorts of modules to go offline..

Been there, done that with another member's car...

Mike

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:19 am

csquire4 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 pm Cheers guys. :thumbsup:

What is the best way to access rear of the CD changer? I removed most of my interior to paint my wooden trim earlier this year and not keen to do it again so hoping I can do it an easier way.
Just lift the bulkhead carpet in the boot it can be a bit awkward,
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:55 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:16 am
If they are can-bus connectors, you need to link them to each other with a jumper otherwise the system will detect the break in the network and cause all sorts of modules to go offline..

Mike
They won’t, and don’t need to be connected together. If you don’t have a changer the leads are just taped to the floor.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:54 am

srhutch wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:55 am
Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:16 am

Mike
They won’t, and don’t need to be connected together. If you don’t have a changer the leads are just taped to the floor.
If the car was fitted with a CDC from the factory, it will "look" for it on the canbus network. If it came without one, then yes, you are correct it will have the leads taped to the floor, but those leads will probably not be connected at the other ends either, so do not need terminating.

On a prev car I worked on, the CDC was drawing current continuously after the car was turned off, even when the other systems had gone to sleep. Turns out someone had bodged some wiring, which included the can bus data line, so the system was continuously looking for the CDC and not putting it to sleep. The CDC actually worked fine even with the break in the can bus, but the parasitic draw from it was killing the battery.

Once reconnected back into the network, the faults could be cleared and stayed away, and the parasitic draw stopped.
csquire4 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:26 pm Hi, probably a stupid question but where does the CD changer get its power source (2004 model) ?.

I have installed a Dension Gateway and I am getting buzzing on AM/MW (I like Radio 5/5 Live !!).

The CD changer has been disconnected from the head unit but was wondering if power is still connected and interfering with the Dension?

When I disconnected the Dension and put everything back to normal the buzzing stopped.

Any advice please.
I would suspect a ground loop issue with the Grom, where did you take the supply for it from? It may just need a ground loop isolator.

Mike

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:36 pm

They are connected the other end already, hence why fitting an intravee etc without having a changer fitted is easy as you just plug it in.

csquire4

Post by csquire4 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:52 pm

Cheers guys. The Dension was just a plug and play, it came with a wiring harness that goes into the back of the head unit.

This was the unit:
http://www.dension.com/automotive/produ ... teway-lite

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:54 pm

csquire4 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:52 pm Cheers guys. The Dension was just a plug and play, it came with a wiring harness that goes into the back of the head unit.

This was the unit:
You’ll still need to disconnect the changer though. Had to when I fitted a dension in my old zed with changer although dension connected to head unit.

csquire4

Post by csquire4 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:52 pm

srhutch wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:54 pm
csquire4 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:52 pm Cheers guys. The Dension was just a plug and play, it came with a wiring harness that goes into the back of the head unit.

This was the unit:
You’ll still need to disconnect the changer though. Had to when I fitted a dension in my old zed with changer although dension connected to head unit.
Yep, I had to disconnect the CDC from the head unit at the head unit end but it sounds like I need to disconnect from the back of CDC as well.