Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

hypothetical auto on track question

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
andyj007

Post by andyj007 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:12 pm

still looking for my auto coupe at the right price, not intended to track it as have other cars for that purpose..
but with the sport mode and the push pull paddles, why would this not be a hoot..
i prefer an auto in every occasion, road or track.. the third peddle for me is just inconvenience,
got me thinking, too many people say oh you gotta have a manual, in a car like that, (probably never driven the auto either) but other than the stigma, be at one with the car, more engaging blah blah blah, what would exactly would be the limiting factor than made the manuals quicker better for average joe on the track?
i suppose you can drift an auto? although again, most uk tracks dont allow that anyway... so that cant be a reason

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:21 pm

And why in God's name would you want a lazy assed boring as f auto ?

andyj007

Post by andyj007 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:26 pm

ha ha exactly my point,
have you driven one d4dawg? i dont get why its boring tho..
generally tho when you have a pub discussion with someone, it ends up theve never driven a decent auto, and just go with the flow... mainly because everyone seems to say the same..
this is not a discussion on what personaly opinion is, it was more a fact finding mission.. as in
take your car, stick me in an auto you in the manual same track for a dogfight, why would i lose or not have as much fun?
Last edited by andyj007 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Usel

Post by Usel » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:29 pm

Less chance of blowing your engine or transmission with an accidental down shift.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:29 pm

I expect a car with a more track focused auto, ie the SMG box would be good fun. I've heard very good things about the E46 M3 with the sequential auto, albeit that is a different box/map than the SMG available in the Z4.

So, look for an SMG is my advice! All the ease of an auto when tootling around (although dont expect it to be anything like as smooth as the standard torque converter) but with the excitement of a sequential box when you want.

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Nothing wrong with an auto for daily use if you are an old git like me, but it would be the wrong choice for a track car I would have thought. As has been said, the SMG would be better, with the flappy paddles.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

andyj007

Post by andyj007 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:35 pm

same question... smg, auto or manual, which ones quicker... or less fun as in car drivability, as i actually get more enjoyment out of paddle shifting than i do clutch gear changing..

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:38 pm

Why would you want more help than the bare minimum to drive the wheels off your Zed. It's not about how fast, it's about involvement. Hence no chance of ever owning a 35is here. If you just want to go fast and not have to change gear, buy a tesla. :tumbleweed:

andyj007

Post by andyj007 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:47 pm

have you driven one Buzyg the involvement statement is not true using paddles... you still push or pull to change gear the involvement is the same, you just dont have to use your leg :) dont get me worng i have no gripes with manuals i have a lotus evora., manual, and a trcak race prepared clio.
it would make zero difference to my enjoyment/involvement on the track in the clio if this was paddle shift or manual, in fact a paddle would be better , as sometimes mid corner it woudl be easier to change gear whilst hanging onto to a serious slide like wise the paddle shift on the evora is fantastic... i think it beats the manual i have... hell my mapped smart roadster had paddle shifts that changed 1/4 second after you pulled the paddle and that was epic, it woudl run rings round a z4 coupe manual on a tight (very extremely tight) twisty with no straights circuit, :D

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:58 pm

andyj007 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:35 pm same question... smg, auto or manual, which ones quicker... or less fun as in car drivability, as i actually get more enjoyment out of paddle shifting than i do clutch gear changing..
Interesting that the rare SMG has featured as an ideal choice. I have owned and driven bmw autos and manuals and currently own an SMG. The SMG is the best of both worlds without any of the compromise. I prefer to use the stick, feels more rallyish. I have to disagree that you cant change gear as smooth as an auto. If driven correctly an SMG gear change is seemless, however if it isnt driven correctly then its chuffing harsh :D The fact that it blips on down shift also brings a smile to my face. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

andyj007

Post by andyj007 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:01 pm

ooo er blips on downshifts... now that is one damn good reason to get an smg :)

andyj007

Post by andyj007 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:07 pm

so i you tubed smg gearbox this link came up.
2mins 10 :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wClYhdi ... ringVideos

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:12 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:29 pm I expect a car with a more track focused auto, ie the SMG box would be good fun. I've heard very good things about the E46 M3 with the sequential auto, albeit that is a different box/map than the SMG available in the Z4.

So, look for an SMG is my advice! All the ease of an auto when tootling around (although dont expect it to be anything like as smooth as the standard torque converter) but with the excitement of a sequential box when you want.
The SMG is NOT an automatic gearbox. SMG = Sequential Manual Gearbox. It is in fact the same 6 speed manual gearbox as fitted in the M54 engined Z4 3.0i, the difference being the clutch is actuated electro-hydraulically when a gear is selected using either the stick or paddles. There is no clutch pedal. It only works sequentially up or down. In Sport mode when 'pressing on' the up changes are lightning quick and the down changes beautifully smooth each with a throttle 'blip'. On track or on the road a well driven SMG will wipe the floor with a conventional manual gearbox. You can steer into a corner, whilst down changing and left foot braking simultaneously and then feed the throttle back in as you come off the brake through the apex :thumbsup: . As mentioned the SMG can be driven in full automatic mode if you desire but it is utter sh*te with an eternity between each change. :thumbsdown:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

JimBob78

Post by JimBob78 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 pm

Considering selling my e86 OP, it's an auto with paddles, drop me a message for more info if you're interested.
To answer your question, loads of fun and faster than a manual, sorry but it's true!

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:51 pm

D4dawg wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:21 pm And why in God's name would you want a lazy assed boring as f auto ?
Next time I see you boy :telloff: :telloff:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981