Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

hypothetical auto on track question

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:04 pm

NickDE wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:36 pm The Z4C auto with paddles is a blast on the track. Try it before commenting.
D4dawg knows all about being whooped by an auto, the amount of times I have to slow down to let the M catch up :roll:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:53 pm

D4dawg wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:33 am
firebobby wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:51 pm
D4dawg wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:21 pm And why in God's name would you want a lazy assed boring as f auto ?

Auto boxes are simply for those that can't drive manual end of
What about us disabled drivers don't talk bollocks mate :thumbsdown:

I have a manual license but driving in the real world with a f***ed left arm is a lot different to passing a test
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Zeld4

Post by Zeld4 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:21 pm

GAZA62 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:53 pm

I have a manual license but driving in the real world with a f***ed left arm is a lot different to passing a test
I don’t think this thread is about disabled drivers and I’m sure no offence was intended towards anyone of disability by any one taking part or expressing their views on this thread.

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:48 pm

Zeld4 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:21 pm

I don’t think this thread is about disabled drivers and I’m sure no offence was intended towards anyone of disability by any one taking part or expressing their views on this thread.
None taken but I still get stick from people for driving an Auto which tends to wind me at times
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:53 pm

A mate of mine has an M135I Auto, and we did a few track days, seriously driving in Auto is dangerous and no involvement - almost driving an arcade game.

Upshifting mid corner under hard acceleration was not a fun experience as a passenger.

I agree with the above comments, a manual give you greater driver involvement = more enjoyment.

The Auto's I have owned have been very sluggish in gear change, but the newer versions are very quick and responsive.

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:06 pm

firebobby wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:04 pm
NickDE wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:36 pm The Z4C auto with paddles is a blast on the track. Try it before commenting.
D4dawg knows all about being whooped by an auto, the amount of times I have to slow down to let the M catch up :roll:
Hahah en route to Ace
Have to be honest you weren't hanging about buddy and tbh you never do hahah

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:10 pm

Gaz you have taken my comment and twisted it to suit you
No where have I said anything about nor would i regarding an auto and a disabled driver let alone saying a thing regarding some one of whom is disabled

God we went on a road trip at Oxford with monkey at the lead point and Steve was behind me in an adapted car and not only a lovely guy but bloody quick too

So relax buddy and stop looking for grief from those that wouldn't give it to you:)

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:07 pm

D4dawg wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:10 pm

Gaz you have taken my comment and twisted it to suit you
No where have I said anything about nor would i regarding an auto and a disabled driver let alone saying a thing regarding some one of whom is disabled

God we went on a road trip at Oxford with monkey at the lead point and Steve was behind me in an adapted car and not only a lovely guy but bloody quick too

So relax buddy and stop looking for grief from those that wouldn't give it to you:)
D4dawg I had no intention on twisting your words or insulting your views and I am sure you would not insult a disabled driver but its the last 2 words that wound me up (end of) these are words that come up in arguments at work if a task is not completed a case of I don't want to here excuses no matter what they are I don't care what they are it did not get done and add to this I still get stick from people about driving an auto even after they know the reason as if I have not got the skills or can be bothered to drive a manual car which I have done in the past but found it uncomfortable and dangerous at times.

When I read this post I was not looking for grief from anyone there is enough of that in the world these days without looking for more and admit I did over react but its a touchy subject with me at times and yesterday was one of those times.
Last edited by GAZA62 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Mate it's all good with me :D
But if were you I'd learn to simply ignore a few words and their insinuation or will be wound up alot

And ref auto, that is a must for you and your use of one is necessary so to get angry over others saying about your using an auto is their ignorance so rise above it buddy :)

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:59 pm

D4dawg wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 pm Mate it's all good with me :D
But if were you I'd learn to simply ignore a few words and their insinuation or will be wound up alot

And ref auto, that is a must for you and your use of one is necessary so to get angry over others saying about your using an auto is their ignorance so rise above it buddy :)

Cheers Mate :D and apologies for my bad language :oops: :oops: and yes I do need to ignore peoples comments its something I have struggled with all my life and seems to be getting worse as I get older(Victor Meldrew) think I need to move to a private island somewhere just me and my Z.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:02 pm

:rofl:
We all wish for that buddy hahah

Life's too short buddy
I simply don't give a crap what people think or say these days
Only from ones that I care about does it hurt

So as said I'd make them look stupid ref your using an auto by asking them how?

Other part is simply words buddy

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:04 pm

The amount of extra headspace you have driving a modern auto vs a manual of comparable performance is ridiculous. You need to be going seriously fast or cornering right on the limit to get the same level of involvement as a manual.

The only regular comparison I can make is Golf R DSG vs Z4M. They are very evenly matched in terms of straight-line performance (sub-100mph, at least), but the Golf is automatic, AWD, and it absolutely smokes the Z4M in any real world driving situation. Even more so off the line, in the wet or on twisty B roads. It's great to drive, you just need to be doing silly things to get your heart rate up and for most sensible people that means it gets a bit dull once the novelty of straight line blasts and mid-corner stabs of the accelerator wear off.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:03 am

auto.png
auto.png (483.17 KiB) Viewed 665 times
In all honesty if you don't like manuals that's cool, to each their own.

I love the challenge a manual gives you - the things you have to learn to be fast and smooth like heel and toe, and having to really think about your gears into braking zones etc. A PROPER Dual-clutch transmission will undoubtedly be faster on track and easier to drive, but I'd argue it's not as involving all things being equal.

I don't personally derive any form of enjoyment from either CVTs or SMG transmissions - neither are particularly rewarding, nor offer any benefits over a manual for driving fast on the road or track. Coupled with being heavier, and having higher transmission losses, it's a no-brainer for me; as long as I can operate a manual I'll do my own gears ta :)
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:14 am

Ed Doe wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:03 am auto.png

In all honesty if you don't like manuals that's cool, to each their own.

I love the challenge a manual gives you - the things you have to learn to be fast and smooth like heel and toe, and having to really think about your gears into braking zones etc. A PROPER Dual-clutch transmission will undoubtedly be faster on track and easier to drive, but I'd argue it's not as involving all things being equal.

I don't personally derive any form of enjoyment from either CVTs or SMG transmissions - neither are particularly rewarding, nor offer any benefits over a manual for driving fast on the road or track. Coupled with being heavier, and having higher transmission losses, it's a no-brainer for me; as long as I can operate a manual I'll do my own gears ta :)
Love the pic hahahah
For me it's all about being in charge of the machine and bringing it all together not a cog in the wheel

Piper1

Post by Piper1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:26 am

One technique not yet brought up for an auto is left foot braking. Might as well put your left foot to better use than just bracing on the kick panel. It can help greatly in the cornering challenge of manual vs auto in that debate I’d think.

Both imho have their own levels of engaging the driver all depends on your taste.
03 Z4 2.5i
ESS VT1, Racing Dynamics SS headers ceramic coated, Full Super Sprint system, 4.10:1 LSD, K Sport BBK, Koni yellow/eibach combo, and lots of other bits
07 e86 3.0si stock for the moment