Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

distilled or deionised to mix with anti-freeze?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ant

Post by Ant » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:43 pm

GuidoK wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:12 pm
Ant wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:28 pm "overkill" it's like £2 for a five litres of the stuff,
If you compare it to the price of tap water, thats actually ridiculously expensive :wink:
About 1000 times more expensive or so.

btw I always buy the premixed stuff. But I use the cheapest long life g12+ available though.
lol on here can be absolutely comical at times (not your response btw)

"what? the coolant ? aye just use some tap water! £2 for distilled water? f**k that"
then in another thread "£65 for a cup holder! bargain!" :roll:

i've a bottle of the genuine bmw premixed coolant sitting here left over from replacing a cracked reservoir last winter, which says to mix with distilled water in a 1:1 ratio...
MACK wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:01 pm Yep complete overkill. Totally pointless even BMW use tap water. Their spec listed above of 360ppm is twice the UK's very hard water at circa 180ppm. So why bother wasting even a little money? I certainly wouldn't wait to top up coolant or do a change till I got my hands on some.
If you're concerned about "wasting" £2 on a car, this is beyond the wrong car to be driving
like i said above it's hardly a difficult to get item when tesco express stock the thing, so "waiting" to get your hands on some would need some doing

(i'm also not arguing its probably is fine with tap water , but for the sake of £2 when I'm driving a fairly impractical car with expensive- ridiculously expensive parts it's not a saving worth making either)

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:03 pm

I use de-ionised for my top ups, although that was only once and needed about 200ml (100ml of DI water and 100ml of coolant).

I’ll be using de-ionised when I flush the system in the near future too.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:05 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:46 am
Crazy Harry wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:10 pm 365ppm in my location - I'm still for avoiding tap water.

Check yours here towards the bottom of the page: https://www.kinetico.co.uk/hard-and-sof ... t-water-uk
Useful link — I’m in a 37.5 area :thumbsup:
That’s horrific .. how are you still alive ?
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:10 pm 365ppm in my location - I'm still for avoiding tap water.

Check yours here towards the bottom of the page: https://www.kinetico.co.uk/hard-and-sof ... t-water-uk

Do you get refreshing showers with your water ?

:thumbsup:
Attachments
377DBB96-5455-4CED-80DB-DBBF63D6F090.png
377DBB96-5455-4CED-80DB-DBBF63D6F090.png (204.81 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Ant wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:43 pm
GuidoK wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:12 pm
Ant wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:28 pm "overkill" it's like £2 for a five litres of the stuff,
If you compare it to the price of tap water, thats actually ridiculously expensive :wink:
About 1000 times more expensive or so.

btw I always buy the premixed stuff. But I use the cheapest long life g12+ available though.
lol on here can be absolutely comical at times (not your response btw)

"what? the coolant ? aye just use some tap water! £2 for distilled water? f**k that"
then in another thread "£65 for a cup holder! bargain!" :roll:

i've a bottle of the genuine bmw premixed coolant sitting here left over from replacing a cracked reservoir last winter, which says to mix with distilled water in a 1:1 ratio...
MACK wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:01 pm Yep complete overkill. Totally pointless even BMW use tap water. Their spec listed above of 360ppm is twice the UK's very hard water at circa 180ppm. So why bother wasting even a little money? I certainly wouldn't wait to top up coolant or do a change till I got my hands on some.
If you're concerned about "wasting" £2 on a car, this is beyond the wrong car to be driving
like i said above it's hardly a difficult to get item when tesco express stock the thing, so "waiting" to get your hands on some would need some doing

(i'm also not arguing its probably is fine with tap water , but for the sake of £2 when I'm driving a fairly impractical car with expensive- ridiculously expensive parts it's not a saving worth making either)
The fact its completely pointless regardless of cost is the point I'm making. Whether it £2, £20 or £200 is immaterial really. If it's needed it's needed, it not its not. Ive been in the industry in various roles for 25 years and I've yet to see an engine with a cooling system issue due to the wrong water being used. Seen a few where muppets havent used any coolant but thats another matter. As for zeds having rediculously expensive parts, come on. Mechanically there's nothing that special about the e85/6, run of the mill BMW really and not alot more expensive than similar parts for likes of Peugeot and Ford's if you buy in the right places.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:20 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

We filter drinking water - its not just the lime scale! the water is drawn from aquifers and contains all sorts of stuff I'd rather not consider you can almost see the film on the water surface.

I can only dream of '20'. when we get visitors they can't understand why soap doesn't foam. When we visit others it takes ages to get the suds washed out of our hair because we forget not to use so much shampoo :lol:

Washing the car is difficult as its easy to end up with water marks on the paint and glass.

I see your 20 and raise you:

Attachments
lime scale.png
lime scale.png (99.61 KiB) Viewed 1327 times

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:20 pm

[/quote]

We filter drinking water - its not just the lime scale! the water is drawn from aquifers and contains all sorts of stuff I'd rather not consider you can almost see the film on the water surface.

I can only dream of '20'. when we get visitors they can't understand why soap doesn't foam. When we visit others it takes ages to get the suds washed out of our hair because we forget not to use so much shampoo :lol:

Washing the car is difficult as its easy to end up with water marks on the paint and glass.

I see your 20 and raise you:

[/quote]
All that sounds terrible where are you?
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:48 pm

[/quote]
All that sounds terrible where are you?
[/quote]

Breckland area of Norfolk - I grew up south of Manchester as a kid - ooh that lake district / pennine water:thumbsup:

I lived in North Yorkshire and the water wasn't too bad there but here it is harsh - I've seen a leaking coolant hose leave a tell tale white deposit on the thermostat cap. Hence my use of dehumidifier water rather than tap water.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:48 pm

earthdweller wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:05 pm

I drInk bottled water! :rofl:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:20 pm

Actually the lime scale/calcium in the water is very healty; hard water is much healtier than soft water.
It's what 'mineral water' makes 'mineral' :) .....you have that on tap!
the all sorts of other stuff can change that though, depending on what it is
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:31 pm

So, me using tap water when its 12 ppm calcium is pretty much a safe bet then... good to know! Planning to do a flush over the holidays.

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:45 pm

I have a man dropping in this week to give me a quote on a water softener system , the water here is hard. very hard but not as hard as some of the posts on here. I'd be more worried about kidney stones than the coolant in my car ... BUT.... for the cost of decent water to put in the radiator it's not worth arguing about. Buy distilled or filtered or deionised or reverse osmosis ...... it's not like you're running a shower and using gallons of the stuff. I said tap water is fine, it is, but to feel more comfortable I'd use the reverse osmosis because...(as noted in another post) it's an expensive engine and a finicky car. BTW, a 50/50 mix should be good for about -40 degrees, that's what we use in Canada, I don't think you really need to go that low :D :D :D
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Just by it ready mixed. :wink:

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:27 am

I am truly blessed ..,not only does my water come straight off the fells .. but those same fells give me roads like this :driving:
Attachments
D42F2500-21A4-4F24-B635-BFBDA7AA367E.jpeg
D42F2500-21A4-4F24-B635-BFBDA7AA367E.jpeg (350.42 KiB) Viewed 1285 times