Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering wheel adjustment

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Johnbmwz4

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi, fitted my new steering wheel a couple of weeks ago and now notice that it's not quite straight when I drive in a straight line. I don't think you can put it back on not straight as it has locating pillars n the back of it which marries up to the Colomn I think. I had to strip everything from my old steering wheel to put on the new one but can't remember any adjustments anywhere on anything. I think the old steering wheel was straight when I drove in a straight line but can't be sure. Any ideas before I take it back off to check everything
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Mine never had locating splines, but I had an ///M wheel on a 3.0i
My inclination would be to remove and reposition 1, 2, 3 splines left/ right to reset, assuming you’re sure you started correctly wheels pointing approx ahead. Note if your a turn out you can damage the slip ring by over rotating it
If that change fails an alignment will fix it by adjusting track rod ends
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:17 pm

It can go on in any position, although there is a centre punched dot on the wheel and a line on the column.

Mike

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 pm Hi, fitted my new steering wheel a couple of weeks ago and now notice that it's not quite straight when I drive in a straight line. I don't think you can put it back on not straight as it has locating pillars n the back of it which marries up to the Colomn I think. I had to strip everything from my old steering wheel to put on the new one but can't remember any adjustments anywhere on anything. I think the old steering wheel was straight when I drove in a straight line but can't be sure. Any ideas before I take it back off to check everything
Ive had a few different wheels on mine (SE and M Sport) and before reading this thread I would have sworn blind you were right about the locating tab etc and you can't get it wrong.
If we are right though then the only thing that really makes any sense is your old wheel was always slightly out but you simply didn't notice. Now you've swapped and your really concentrating on it are only now noticing it. Is this a possibility or are you 100% it was definitely straight?

Obviously now having read this and assuming we're wrong and CJ10 and DLV are right then you could have just installed it incorrectly this time.

It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:12 pm

One other thing I have found is that each wheel is different.. I recently swapped my M sport wheel for one the same, but with MFSW. The old wheel was dead central, and I replaced the new one with the "dot" exactly opposite the marked spline on the shaft, BUT it was then about half a notch out, as I found when I rotated it a full notch.

Alignment cured it.

Mike

Johnbmwz4

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Mm, looks like I'm gunna have to whip it off to check. I'm pretty certain the old steering wheel was straight other wise it would have annoyed me enough to get it sorted. I watched a you tube video about changing the steering wheel and it was the guy who said you can't put it back not straight due to the locating pillars but I must admit I can't remember these

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 pm

When I fitted my MFSW I followed this thread and my wheel is perfect, look half way down page 1 at no 11
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16422
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Johnbmwz4

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:08 pm

Ah so you have to line the notches up. I'm assuming it will still go on if they are not lined up? I'm gunna take it off tomorrow if I get time if not over the weekend. I will let you know how I get on