Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

And so the colour change begins...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:28 am

It’s an 04 plate.... :)
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Dammit James I thought I'd done all there was to do! You're giving me ideas :fuelfire:

I'm thinking something like this

Looks good btw, congrats! :)

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Haha thanks :)

It’s gotta be done - although I suspect doing half colour like that would be harder than what I did
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:00 pm

It's not on the cards just yet, maybe in the new year.

I wondered whether colouring over black was possible but found this which looks like it would do the trick https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/How_T ... _Car_Seats. I suspect you're right, it won't be easy.

I do love red leather though. If I didn't have a blue car I'd want to do exactly as you have!

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:07 pm

The door cards pictured were black leather (I came across a deal too good to miss on a set of all black door cards). Took a couple extra coats but still covered it well.

I got a kit from eBay which includes all the prep stuff and scourers etc. A similar process to what you posted albeit a little less intensive.

I’ll find a link later for who I bought from, I highly recommend them, they sent me loads of free colour samples too which was nice of them. Cost £80 for the kit (1.5l kit) and comes with everything you need - alcohol cleaner, leather prep, colour, finish.

I’ve got plenty over so could’ve got away with a 1l kit I reckon
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Sounds good I'd be interested to take a look at what you used. The one I linked to doesn't sound like it stretches very far, they say you need a large to cover two seats which bumps the price up.

I didn't realise you had carbon interior too, where'd you get your bits from? I'm going to have some to sell once the new set I've had covered arrive (window switches and air vents).

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:19 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:15 pm Sounds good I'd be interested to take a look at what you used. The one I linked to doesn't sound like it stretches very far, they say you need a large to cover two seats which bumps the price up.

I didn't realise you had carbon interior too, where'd you get your bits from? I'm going to have some to sell once the new set I've had covered arrive (window switches and air vents).
I vinyl wrapped mine myself. Not as good as proper carbon effect stuff but a happy close second lol.

That being said, I feel it doesn’t really suit my new black/red theme so it’s going. All switches and door handles are now satin black. The dash trim will be black and red leather, and I’m just waiting for a decent priced piano black center console top trim I think to finish. Although I may get a leather cover thing for it
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:26 pm

It's going to look awesome when you're finished. Already does. Can't beat a piano black trim. Like you say, it's just getting hold of them without spending a fortune.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:33 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:26 pm It's going to look awesome when you're finished. Already does. Can't beat a piano black trim. Like you say, it's just getting hold of them without spending a fortune.
I just missed out on one at 49.99 but someone beat me to it as I was waiting for payday lol
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:15 pm Sounds good I'd be interested to take a look at what you used. The one I linked to doesn't sound like it stretches very far, they say you need a large to cover two seats which bumps the price up.
Found the link, I bought my leather dye kit from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261455508344
I also got my carpet fabric dye from them too. I spoke (via eBay messages) to someone named "Jonathan" who was really helpful and sent me free decent sized colour samples too. From my experience, I would highly recommend them
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Monaco84

Post by Monaco84 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:39 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:44 amApologies for the lack of "in progress" pics... but I'd like to think it's really coming together now...
wow pretty impressive....
2009-2016: Z4 3.0i E85 Roadster
2016-????: Z4M E86 Coupé

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:59 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm
Found the link, I bought my leather dye kit from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261455508344
I also got my carpet fabric dye from them too. I spoke (via eBay messages) to someone named "Jonathan" who was really helpful and sent me free decent sized colour samples too. From my experience, I would highly recommend them
Thanks I might ask for them for some samples, at least I know they work well! :)

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:44 am Apologies for the lack of "in progress" pics... but I'd like to think it's really coming together now... :)

IMG_0283.jpg
It looks to be the case, but just to make sure - did you colour the whole of the back of the seats too? I'm trying to gauge how much I'd need in comparison because if I were to go with the half colour effect I'd be covering considerably less than two full seats.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Monaco84 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:39 pm wow pretty impressive....

thanatu55 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 pm It looks to be the case, but just to make sure - did you colour the whole of the back of the seats too? I'm trying to gauge how much I'd need in comparison because if I were to go with the half colour effect I'd be covering considerably less than two full seats.
Yes I did. You'd probs even get away with just 500ml kit I reckon
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:30 pm

Thanks buddy that's what I was thinking :thumbsup: