Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Smaller Plates

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
thanatu55

Smaller Plates

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:45 pm

Having unintentionally oversprayed my rear number plate surround it got me thinking about ditching the surround altogether and having a change. I came across this place https://www.fourdotdesignerplates.co.uk ... ero-plates that claim to make the smallest road legal plates.

The 'small' and the 'road legal' bit I like, the £75 for the privilege I'm not so keen on, but I can't seem to find anywhere else that does them, and I'm pretty sure this isn't the only place that does. Does anybody have any tips/links?

Also I've looked at the vinyl plates that some on here have but have read conflicting accounts about whether or not they are road legal. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Smaller Plates

Post by Nictrix » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:58 pm

Every plate if made to the legal specs would be a different size.
For instance on bikes 9x7 is normally what is said to be the only legal sized plate but this is wrong as it all depends on what letters/numbers and how many there are.
The only things that have to be a certain size is the height and width of the numbers/letters and the spaces between them, for instance if the plate has 1's in it these are obviously smaller width than 8's meaning the plate length could be reduced.
A kind of example is below
W111 WWW
T888 TTT
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

thanatu55

Smaller Plates

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:32 am

The site I linked to calculate each plate size by the numbers and letters in it to get the smallest size, but surely they aren't the only place that do this?

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Smaller Plates

Post by ben g » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:00 am

I have a legal small plate on the front of my Z4. I've had it years now, can't remember which company made it, but it wasn't more than £20, i'm sure.

They just trim down the unused white areas.
DSC_0775.JPG
DSC_0775.JPG (164.84 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Molinites

Smaller Plates

Post by Molinites » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:50 am

DMB graphics used to custom make them any size you want.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Smaller Plates

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:14 am

I run several sets of 5 digit plates, front and rear. There are many places that can make them legally to fit the number of letters and numbers in the plate, As per above advice just also ensure they have makers postcode and BS # printed and correct font and your all set. Full spec on dvla site
I pay around £20 per set and they are machine finished 100% road legal, just smaller

EDIT
Looked up my plates and they came from Number Plate Centre, Birmingham.
B11 1DS
Best is to call the guy direct and he makes up anything (legal)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills