Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofit Cruise Control BMW Z4 e85 - does it take away leg room / knee room?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Thadeus1991

Post by Thadeus1991 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my very first post, and a peculiar one, too! I hope this is the right sub-forum for my question.

I own a BMW Z4 e85 2.5i (2006). I just about fit into the car (I am 6'7'' / 201cm tall) but happy to put up with the cramped interior given how much fun and joy the car is!

The Z4 is my only car and my daily driver. I've had it for about a year now and am playing with the thought of getting cruise control retrofitted on the car since I am doing quite a few 3-4h drives every month and my legs get achy on these runs. I got a quote from BMW and it would cost about £425.

Now my question: If I did go for the cruise control, would the cruise control stalk take away much of my leg room?
After all, all the extra convenience would be useless for me, if I scrape the stalk with my knee every time I am shifting...

I have tried to find a Z4 on AutoTrader with cruise control close to me to see what it'd be like, but unfortunately, they are either too far away or the model has sports seats (which means less space than my car with standard seats, so it would not help me in comparing it.

Does anyone have experience with this or any thoughts? Maybe there is even someone living close to Canterbury with a Z4 with cruise control so that I could have a quick look at what it'd be like (in exchange for a pint of ale or a bottle of wine of course!)

It'd be great if you guys could give me any feedback on this - very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts!!
2006 e85 Z4 - 2.5i Montego Blue
-----------------------------------------
2002 e46 330ci convertible (gone)
2006 e85 Z4 - 2.5i (gone)

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:58 pm

Not sure if this will help...I have CC on mine and I'm 6'5. No issue with left knee hitting the stork.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Welcome - the stalk is nowhere near knees / legs so takes no leg room away. Stalk and loom cost £130 from Sopers BMW Lincoln, figure another £100 for a decent auto-electrician to fit so should cost more than £230 - £250 all in :thumbsup:

Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Your questioned has hopefully been answered so I'll just welcome you to the mad house.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:35 pm

Yes, welcome to the forum OP. :thumbsup:

By the way, nobody has mentioned photos yet, but they are pretty much compulsory on here!

Just a thought, but as yours sounds like it is a facelift model it won't be pre-wired for cruise - however you can get the wiring you need from member "srhutch".

Mine has cruise and I find it really useful, especially when there are average spped cameras!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Thadeus1991

Post by Thadeus1991 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Thank you all for welcoming me and for your feedback!

@Lord Oxygen: Thanks for that input - that's really useful. I was just worried that with my abnormally long legs I might have trouble. But seems not!

@Marlon: Thanks for the price update - I will probably order the part myself and ask an indy professional to fit it rather than BMW

@MrTidy: You are right, it's a FL, so won't be pre-wired. What do you mean when you say I can get the wiring from him - a manual or the actual cables ready to plug-in (so to speak)?
Also: Which photos are compulsory? Do you mean some of my car? I will take some next week then :-) Or just of the cruise situation? Didn't think photos would be necessary for that.

Thanks again all!
2006 e85 Z4 - 2.5i Montego Blue
-----------------------------------------
2002 e46 330ci convertible (gone)
2006 e85 Z4 - 2.5i (gone)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Yes, "srhutch" will supply you with the wiring you need - see this thread for more info:- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97223

I think there may also be a "How To" on the E85/E86 General section of the forum, but as I understand it the location of the stalk is marked on the inside of the steering column cowl so if you are handy with a Dremel or similar you could probably do it yourself.

Sopers of Lincoln give a discount if you mention the forum so are usually cheaper than any other main agent for parts.

Photos aren't actually compulsory, but when there is a smilie like this on here hopefully you'll get the gist:- :worthless: And we're primarily referring to the car!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

step_change

Post by step_change » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:15 pm

I am going to have a crack at this mod with Steve's cable he made. I need to pop into Soper's Lincoln on my way past in a couple of weeks to get a CC Stalk.

No CC on Z4 makes long-medium drives very uncomfortable for me as well. I am 6'3". Even Nottingham to Northampton and back today (150 miles) got tiring.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav