Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

All season tires regarding

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
allanhelen

Post by allanhelen » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:44 pm

I've spent many years driving in parts of continental Europe and in Vermont in the US, in the depths of winter without decent winter tyres you just wouldn't be able to get anywhere.

This experience has carried over with me and when winter comes around the Z4 gets tucked up in the garage. As good as winter tyres are they are no good if the low ground clearance means the car becomes a sledge.

I have an X5 that starts to shiver at the thought of being used in the snow (i do have a full set of winter wheels and tyres for it but they only get fitted if it looks like we are in for it really bad)

So generally if the weather is cold and snowy the chosen form of transport is my wife's Renault Clio Diesel it runs winter tyres from November to the end of march every year as her job means she has to often travel into areas where the weather can get interesting. it keeps going up and down hills, through snow, slush, ice and mud and hasn't been defeated by anything the UK winters have thrown at it so far.

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Back when I had company cars, i had work pay for a set of winter tyres fitted for my 3 series. They were superb, it felt very sure footed in cold wet conditions and would allow the car to move on snow and ice. If I ever daily a RWD car again I would invest in a set for the winter.

With company cars a thing of the past, when the weather and conditions are like this, I use our trusty 2001 K11 nissan micra to get around. With very narrow wheels/tyres and a heavy 1400cc engine over the front, it is capable of driving through snow and ice with ease.