Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iPhone 7 + intravee issue

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:34 pm

After 2 and a bit years my work iPhone 6 battery died - Apple built-in forced upgrade feature...

Anyway, I now have shiny new iPhone 7. Which is lovely, but it doesn’t work with the intravee :x

I have a genuine Apple 30 pin / lightning adapter bought when I got my 6 as that wouldn’t work initially and changing the cable sorted it. When plugged in the intravee only sometimes recognises there is an iPod attached ; the phone charges ; however the phone tells me that the device is unsupported ; music will not play. Really frustrating.

I know that the software on my intravee is very out of date - I think the last time it was updated was by srhutch a couple of years ago at least. I never seem to be able to get the update to work :oops:

Does anyone have a 7 working with an intravee ? Did you have to change anything, or make sure the intravee software is up to date ? Anything I need to change on my phone ?

Any help gratefully appreciated :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

dgm

Post by dgm » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:19 am

I haven’t updated my Intravee for at least three years, probably longer. I’ve used it with iPhones 4S, 5S, 6, 6S and now a 7 with no issues at all. More recently I routed a Cable Jive extension cable (lightning female to lightning male) from the boot to the panel below the heater controls and there were no issues. There is a genuine Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter between the Intravee cable and the extension cable too.

I can’t see any reason yours isn’t working but I did have an issue where my nav screen would go blank periodically before resetting itself. Unplugging the Intravee and rebooting it solved the problem which never returned. You could maybe give that a go?
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:23 am

Yeah, my satnav screen freezes or goes blank occasionally and then eventually restarts as well. I’ll try a reboot, as it didn’t work with my son’s SE either, which was weird. Good advice, will post to let everyone know if it works :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Ok, so I did a soft reboot - just from the menu screen - and that *appears* to have worked, I now have music. Note to self - apply the 'switch it off and on again' principle to everything. Except for human beings, That doesn't work :D

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 pm

3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

dgm

Post by dgm » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:20 pm

Bing wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:07 pm Ok, so I did a soft reboot - just from the menu screen - and that *appears* to have worked, I now have music. Note to self - apply the 'switch it off and on again' principle to everything. Except for human beings, That doesn't work :D
Excellent. I didn’t apply my own advice initially and was given a replacement head unit under warranty which didn’t solve anything. When that didn’t work the reboot did.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Hmmm. Not fixed. Well, half fixed. Music plays, but the satnav screen says “no ipod” and I can’t change the track using the MFSW controls, nor can I find playlists using the head unit controls like I could before. And it appears I need to reboot the intravee every time I switch the car on. Not terribly convenient. I think I’ll need to go for a hard reboot, just need someone with small enough hands to get to the intravee plug because of how it’s installed in the centre cubby :headbang:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Why would you unplug it from there if you want to do a hard boot? Just lift the battery cable off instead.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:04 pm

pvr wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:14 pmWhy would you unplug it from there if you want to do a hard boot? Just lift the battery cable off instead.
Did that, didn’t work. I’ve just finished moving it to the boot and connecting a usb to serial cable that works with windows 10. I moved it as I wanted to check the cables were not damaged... I have no idea how you got the alpine cable into the cubby, I had to cut the hole bigger to get it out.

I’ve updated the firmware to 7140 (latest I found before seeing Neil’s link above just now) and it still doesn’t do what it should do - charges, plays music (usually after rebooting), and whilst the logs say the intravee can see an iPod connecting/disconnecting, the screen still says ‘no ipod’ and doesn’t allow track control through the head unit. I’ll update to the version above and see if that fixes it, when I get a moment. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas / knowledge of using iPhone 7 with an intravee let me know if I’m missing something. It’s not the cable as I a spent £30 on a genuine 30pin to lightening adapter last time I changed phones.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:05 pm

mac27040 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 pmlasted one i have is www.muga-uk.co.uk/z4/v6.02-7146.zip
Cheers Neil, I’ll try this when I get a chance in the next day or two. If you’ve heard of any problems with iPhone 7s anywhere else do let me know - ta.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Well, I’m not alone... it appears to be an iOS issue. The common theme is having the latest iOS version :

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/130637-ip ... nt-1404824

Figured it is worth posting for people with a 7 who have it working but have not updated iOS yet. Don’t !

I had a 6 that worked fine, but was on an older version of iOS. New phone, forced upgrade of iOS when it was restored, phone doesn’t work with intravee. Hopefully Apple will fix something with a new release and it will all magically start working again.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:31 pm

Bing wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:04 pm
pvr wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:14 pmWhy would you unplug it from there if you want to do a hard boot? Just lift the battery cable off instead.
Did that, didn’t work. I’ve just finished moving it to the boot and connecting a usb to serial cable that works with windows 10. I moved it as I wanted to check the cables were not damaged... I have no idea how you got the alpine cable into the cubby, I had to cut the hole bigger to get it out.
I fed the cables the other way around :lol:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

dgm

Post by dgm » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Bing wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:15 pmWell, I’m not alone... it appears to be an iOS issue. The common theme is having the latest iOS version :

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/130637-ip ... nt-1404824

Figured it is worth posting for people with a 7 who have it working but have not updated iOS yet. Don’t !

I had a 6 that worked fine, but was on an older version of iOS. New phone, forced upgrade of iOS when it was restored, phone doesn’t work with intravee. Hopefully Apple will fix something with a new release and it will all magically start working again.
I don’t think this was the issue you had originally. When you first posted I double checked my 7 was working in the car, it had the up to date iOS and all was good. I haven’t driven the car since but your post prompted me to check again and now the 7 doesn’t show at all on the Intravee. Nor does my iPhone X.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Jesus, I hope I haven’t broken your gear by osmosis :lol:

That’s really strange though. I have no idea what’s going on, but that post on the 5er forum was about 4 days before I got my phone.

dgm

Post by dgm » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:23 pm

6S is having the same issue too. A bit of persistence gets the iPhone playing through Apple Music and via the Radio X app, first way is to disconnect the iPhone and re connect it, allowing a few seconds between disconnections, and eventually the phone is recognised with the selected music playing.
1D0F0CC7-B58D-491B-877C-58B7318BBA2B.jpeg
1D0F0CC7-B58D-491B-877C-58B7318BBA2B.jpeg (242.59 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
Second way is to toggle between the sources and eventually the iPhone is recognised as an iPod and plays music. I have DAB and CD multichanger connected through the Intravee so I cant speak for other set ups but the following error message is displayed on the iPhone when using the second method.
A544151B-A166-487B-A7A1-66BADA2D2F3C.png
A544151B-A166-487B-A7A1-66BADA2D2F3C.png (238.02 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
Once connected it seems to remain so but even so this is just a poor workaround. I have a horrible feeling that this is the start of the Intravee becoming obsolete with iPhones due to Apple’s changes but perhaps a future Intravee firmware update can address it.