Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HOW-TO: DIY "Phantom" Side Indicator.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:13 pm Don't want to be a killjoy, because I love what you have done and Audi indicators are my favourite. but what is the legal/MOT/Insurance implications.
As long as it flashes at the correct rate it should pass.

I’ll have to ask my mate who runs his own garage when I next see him and I’ll get confirmation (he’s a licensed MOT tester)
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:30 pm

How do the LED strips work? For example how do you terminate them, particularly when the strip has been cut. Do you just solder wires to them?
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:34 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:30 pm How do the LED strips work? For example how do you terminate them, particularly when the strip has been cut. Do you just solder wires to them?
Do you mean how would you use the "second half", eg the section cut off. Yes you just solder wires to the +5, DI, GND pads. If you look at the LED strips you'll notice they are designed to be cut to wha ever length you want, with cut points after each LED.
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:30 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:30 pm
NOTE: It is important to check your polarity especially when connecting to the car indicator plug. If you connect the +ve and -ve the wrong way round you're likely to destroy the ardunio
A thought, it is very easy to get the surrogate bulb the wrong way round in the holder. Why not solder an inline diode in the supply to the arduino, that way if connected wrong way round accidentally no damage.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:30 pm A thought, it is very easy to get the surrogate bulb the wrong way round in the holder. Why not solder an inline diode in the supply to the arduino, that way if connected wrong way round accidentally no damage.
A simple Zener diode should suffice yes, I just didn't have any at the time of putting this together so thought I should make that point very clear :)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:35 pm

I am interested in getting a datasheet for the WS2812 LED strip, would this be correct: https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2812.pdf.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:38 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:35 pm I am interested in getting a datasheet for the WS2812 LED strip, would this be correct: https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2812.pdf.
Yup that's the one. That may be specific to Adafruits version of the WS2812 LED, so if purchasing a non-adafruit led strip, you should see if they have a datasheet but the adafruit should do as a generic WS2812 datasheet
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:41 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:35 pm A simple Zener diode should suffice yes, I just didn't have any at the time of putting this together so thought I should make that point very clear :)
It just needs to be a plain diode wired in series, a 1W should clear it, but to be safe probably go a little higher. If you use a zener diode, depending upon the value of the zener it may drop too much voltage if wired in series and if you wire it in parallel you will need a resister to limit it from damage which will dissipate unnecessary heat.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:41 pm It just needs to be a plain diode wired in series, a 1W should clear it, but to be safe probably go a little higher. If you use a zener diode, depending upon the value of the zener it may drop too much voltage if wired in series and if you wire it in parallel you will need a resister to limit it from damage which will dissipate unnecessary heat.
True, however the voltage drop should be negligible since the arduino nano can operate from 6v - 20v
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:41 pm It just needs to be a plain diode wired in series, a 1W should clear it, but to be safe probably go a little higher. If you use a zener diode, depending upon the value of the zener it may drop too much voltage if wired in series and if you wire it in parallel you will need a resister to limit it from damage which will dissipate unnecessary heat.
Thinking about it more (it's been a long day) a zener diode in series will not work. In series it will give no protection as it will let current through both ways. If you are going to use a zener you would need to wire it in parallel with a ballast resister to protect it against reverse polarity, it isn't the way to go. A conventional diode in series is far simpler.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:37 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:27 pm Thinking about it more (it's been a long day) a zener diode in series will not work. In series it will give no protection as it will let current through both ways. If you are going to use a zener you would need to wire it in parallel with a ballast resister to protect it against reverse polarity, it isn't the way to go. A conventional diode in series is far simpler.
You’re absolutely right, I’m having a senior moment today - a Zener diode is no good. Just a bog standard diode should do the trick. You could always use a dc dc buck converter to help protect the arduino (0.50p from Ali express) although from memory I can remember if they have polarity protection
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Great work, looks really impressive :thumbsup:
A Dirty M///

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:47 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:46 pm
True, however the voltage drop should be negligible since the arduino nano can operate from 6v - 20v
Regardless, a standard rectifier diode like a 1N4004 is the correct part to use for reverse polarity protection in this instance. You may however want to install a TVS diode (perhaps 18V rated?) to protect from any spikes on the 12V power lines.

Edit: I forgot to say good work. I did some wanky (and I'm not being derogatory when I say that) lights like this on a previous car but I have no desire to do it on the Zed :D
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:12 pm

The printed parts could be useful to sell for anyone thinking of doing it. I was just going to seal in strip but this looks much neater.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:12 pm The printed parts could be useful to sell for anyone thinking of doing it. I was just going to seal in strip but this looks much neater.
Someone did ask, I said £10 (+ £2.90 postage)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22