Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Centre brake lights...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Centre brake lights...

Post by ben g » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Bought this from bmw on ebay last october and a mate pointed out to me this week that some of the led's don't light up, pretty rubbish considering it's only been on the car 14 months.

I purchased the fitting kit with it at the same time.

Are these covered under warranty? Even if bought from bmw_direct on ebay? I think they're an official BMW dealership, from what I remember.
DSC_5595.JPG
DSC_5595.JPG (81.76 KiB) Viewed 557 times
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Centre brake lights...

Post by Smartbear » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:19 pm

I’m not sure if lights/Bulbs are covered by warranty? The same as tyres/clutches etc
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

MT94

Centre brake lights...

Post by MT94 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:39 pm

I’ve literally had the same thing happen to me after buying a clear one from bmw_direct back in September, a couple of days ago someone pointed out I have a couple of leds missing from the strip I emailed them and say that it’s covered by a 2 year warranty but I have to take it to a bmw service centre rather than sending me a replacement which is a bit annoying as I want to fit it myself to avoid it cracking and I know some not all but some people don’t care about their work and just slap it in without doing it properly which is what I don’t want done if I take it in, I’ve emailed back saying I just need a replacement so we will see what happens.
Matt.
2004 E85 Z4 2.2i Titan Silver

Silverzedtom

Centre brake lights...

Post by Silverzedtom » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:55 pm

MT94 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:39 pm I’ve literally had the same thing happen to me after buying a clear one from bmw_direct back in September, a couple of days ago someone pointed out I have a couple of leds missing from the strip I emailed them and say that it’s covered by a 2 year warranty but I have to take it to a bmw service centre rather than sending me a replacement which is a bit annoying as I want to fit it myself to avoid it cracking and I know some not all but some people don’t care about their work and just slap it in without doing it properly which is what I don’t want done if I take it in, I’ve emailed back saying I just need a replacement so we will see what happens.
Matt.
I’d have thought they could order the part In and you could take your broken one and swap the parts rather than have it fitted. Unless they want proof it doesn’t work in which case they could remove yours and send you on your way. I’d have duct tape ready if that’s the case just in case it rains.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

MT94

Centre brake lights...

Post by MT94 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:31 pm

I have emailed back asking exactly what they wish to do when I take it there so I will wait for the reply and update on what’s going on.
Matt.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Centre brake lights...

Post by ben g » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:21 pm

MT94 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:31 pm I have emailed back asking exactly what they wish to do when I take it there so I will wait for the reply and update on what’s going on.
Matt.
Ok thanks. Will be interesting to hear what they say.

Kind of glad someone else has this issue, so i know it's definitely a fault and not just my bad luck :lol:

I'd be happy with a replacement being sent out. It's clearly not the cracking issue that is so well spoken about. This is the actual led lighting inside that isn't up to scratch.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

MT94

Centre brake lights...

Post by MT94 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:45 pm

Yeah it is strange how two have gone in quite a short amount of time, I did also think it was just me so when I saw your post I was a little relieved just hope they sort it and no more go out.
Matt.

MT94

Centre brake lights...

Post by MT94 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:03 am

ben g wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:17 pm Bought this from bmw on ebay last october and a mate pointed out to me this week that some of the led's don't light up, pretty rubbish considering it's only been on the car 14 months.

I purchased the fitting kit with it at the same time.

Are these covered under warranty? Even if bought from bmw_direct on ebay? I think they're an official BMW dealership, from what I remember.

DSC_5595.JPG
Just an update for those who are interested I received an email back from the company and despite me saying I just need a replacement and I’ll return my faulty one they insist on me going to BMW to get them to “check the car over” then they will be able to fill out a job form and a return form why this is needed I do not know but it looks like I’ll be taking a trip to BMW first time my car will have been to them for a long while.
Matt.