Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot Carpet Removal/Puzzle for DICE install

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Mant

Boot Carpet Removal/Puzzle for DICE install

Post by Mant » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi All!

This seems to be the right kinda place. New Z4 owner here, only a few weeks old now and loving every minute I am in it (came from a 05 Seat Leon Cupra R).

I have been doing a few simple mods like the - Aerial nib, new Aero wipes etc. But now, I would like to install a Silverline DICE unit into my Z4 for my iPhone. I have Bluetooth already built in so calls are sorted, I do have an AUX point but I would like to get a digital connection to my Business CD headunit as well as charge the thing. I've weighed up the other options around and DICE seems to fit the bill for me...

So before I buy it I want to get at the boots CD Changer area, to make sure I can hook this up, but here is my issue: Now i've trawled through all the various guides online including two very good guides, but it seems those are not for the Coupe and my 2007 Z4 Coupe boot is a little different to these guides. They have this massive box unit to the right side of the boot, which I dont have.

I've given it a good hour of prodding and I am stumped as to how I can get that back panel off so I can get to the Center rear unit where the 3pic and 6pin cables live. I cant for the life of me get the side carpet units out, they seem fixed/joined to the adjoining back wall. I have managed to take the main part out (that covers the battery, that was easy), I bought a upholstery tool and removed the remaining base carpet. But this part seems sewn or attached to the main back wall carpet?. The side units seem the best bet but they seem fixed too to the back wall.

Had anyone done this or have any tips to get at the back wall carpet? BMW really do know how to put carpets together and I dont think I want to pay the crazy BMW labour in getting them to do it for me.

Any advice from you guys will be appreciated before I do some irreparable damage to the boot using some very sharp tools :wink: If you need pics I can take some.
Black 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe Sport

srhutch

Re: Boot Carpet Removal/Puzzle for DICE install

Post by srhutch » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:36 pm

There are some plastic retainers than need to be unscrewed from memory on both sides od the boot (assuming same as roadster) with these removed and the floor panel removed you should be able to get access behind the bulkhead panel.

glastoveteran

Post by glastoveteran » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:07 am

Have you seen this guide?

https://www.europeanautosource.com/supp ... t=23&id=41

Not sure if it helps - I haven't attempted it yet but need to soon.
Z4MC Silver Grey / Light Sepang / Nav / Logic7 DSP / Intravee / Bluetooth / Cruise / PDC / SPG / Electric folding and dimming mirrors / 19" E46 M3 wheels / Vreds

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:41 pm

Good link...

Interesting.. I never knew the Coupe owners had their tyre kits hidden - us MR drivers have the pump pretty visible from the boot.

Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..

Mant

Post by Mant » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:00 pm

Cheers for the feedback so far.
glastoveteran wrote:Have you seen this guide?

https://www.europeanautosource.com/supp ... t=23&id=41

Not sure if it helps - I haven't attempted it yet but need to soon.

That is one of the guides i've been looking at. It is close, but I don't have that bulky box on the right side (my battery sits low under the front part of the boot). So I am not seeing most of the screws and bolts (particularly on the side areas) in some of those particular screens etc.

Thinking about it, I'll have to have a stab at the left side (I've been trying the right side most of the time).

Looking at this pic...
I am sure I can get that far, but i've really tried (and drawn blood) trying to get that left side panel off (that you see loose in the above pic). It doesn't look like they have taken the surround plastic off around that side panel, which to me feels like the only way to get that panel off. I'll give it another stab and failing that ill take some pics and point out the nightmare points.

I initially thought I would be going under the back-wall carpet, but going by that pics I think they had the same issue and took the carpet out form the top, and I can only imagine what a nightmare it will be putting the carpet back under the running strip that the carpet has to go back under.

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:14 pm

Only the /Ms have the battery in the boot, so you're not alone. But it should just be the same without the box.. good luck !

Mant

Post by Mant » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:01 pm

Success! 3rd attempt this weekend, this time I made sure I was less of a pansy at went gun-ho at the side panel - this time the left side which was more willing to be removed.

To help anyone out (and give something back to the community here), i've taken some pics to illustrate the process for anyone willing to do the same in their Z4 Coupe.

All you need is a Philips screwdriver and an upholstery removal tool (around £2 off ebay), you can use a screwdriver but the tool removes the caps more safely and does not damage them - so you can put them back looking unharmed.

Photo of the boot, with side meshes and battery cover (base carpet) already removed from previous attempts. What you dont see here is the plastic panels removed behind the tailgate. Necessary to get at the side panels and remove them. Its a simple process of unscrewing the main middle panel, then using the plastic screw on the rear light covers (as if you were to replace the bulbs) and remove those.

Lift the side panel over the carpet and with a bit of patience (and blood) you'll be able to life the side panel away from all the areas holding it in.

Side panel folded up here, to show the back wall attach pin. If you can get underneath the back wall already, you dont really need to take this out - but I did.

Photo showing the hooks holding the back end of the side wall in. Nasty things!

With the side panel removed (pushed up) I could get my hand under the back wall carpet, luckily for me I didn't have to rummage much to find the two loose cables I need to plug into the DICE.

So with that I can order the DICE in this weekend and hopefully get it all in stalled in the week or next weekend. (With more pics).

If anyone is doing this and has any questions, feel free to post them.

Cheers!

glastoveteran

Post by glastoveteran » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks - great guide and great looking pics!

Glad you got it sorted!
Z4MC Silver Grey / Light Sepang / Nav / Logic7 DSP / Intravee / Bluetooth / Cruise / PDC / SPG / Electric folding and dimming mirrors / 19" E46 M3 wheels / Vreds

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:21 am

Well done, useful info for a popular mod.

Pretty much applies to the Roadster too.

Interesting though why you're going for a DICE and not a Intravee ?

torino

Post by torino » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:22 am

I've tried removing the roadsters carpet, only difference is that the centre arm rest box emergency release cable is in the middle of the back part!

Couldn't work out how to disconect it?

Anyone done this on a roadster?

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:52 am

Disconnection is done from the inside. However, if you can work from the boot it is not necessary to do so.

Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

torino

Post by torino » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Thanks PVR, actually wanted to remove the rear carpet for slightly different reasons, mainly to mount an amp and run wiring about the place.

So does that internal panel just pry off or are there any fixings/screws?

Mant

Post by Mant » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:03 pm

Andy wrote:Well done, useful info for a popular mod.

Pretty much applies to the Roadster too.

Interesting though why you're going for a DICE and not a Intravee ?
Cheers Andy,

DICE over Intravee was (to be honest) mainly because I over looked the Intravee as an option. I did see it being mentioned and I do remember looking into it, all but briefly. Looking at their site I can understand why though, as it's a whole lot harder to find out where to buy it online, let alone find good guides and feedback on the unit.

Having said that though and looking through a few sites, to me, I still would have plunged towards the DICE. It ticks all the boxes for what I need and at a much cheaper price than the Intravee unit. The 'untested' mention on their site for the Z4 Business CD head unit would have put me off too. DICE also has a lot of user feedback online, which goes along way with me. I've been hearing good (and bad) things about the DICE but they have been mostly good experiences; I have come from a Pioneer Headunit along with a iPod CD-IB100 interface unit in my last car, which was pretty limited in terms of control; such as totally locking the ipod out once connected, then with the firewire to USB power change it didn't charge my 3G iPhone. With these converters costing near to 3/4 the price of a DICE unit I thought id keep things simple - keeping the head unit and going with a DICE.

All-in-all it's worth a punt and ill let everyone know how the install goes. I am glad there's plenty of options on the market these days, back in the day when I was last doing this the choices were very limited. Whilst looking I was shocked to see how Dension can ask for the prices they do on a unit that is very feature limited when compared against the likes of the DICE and Intravee - crazy.

salinanekol

Post by salinanekol » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:54 am

it nice guidelines by pics thanks. :)

tjlazer

Post by tjlazer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to give props to the work here, the pics really helped me unpick my boot to fit the new antenna! Good work sir!
WAS: black on black MR with carbon trim. NOW: IB/Champagne/Carbon ZMC