Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ticking noise from the engine

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ryukin

Ticking noise from the engine

Post by ryukin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a bit worried about my car. Each morning I've started the engine, there has been a ticking noise that lasts for about 2-3 seconds after the engine starts. This has only started happening over the past 3 days, so I'm hoping you'll all say you are having the same ticking noise and it's just down to the cold weather.

It doesn't sound like much of an issue when you read that, but I'm sh*tting myself with the thought that it might be the bearings.

Is this happening to anyone else?

srhutch

Re: Ticking noise from the engine

Post by srhutch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:12 pm

That sounds like HVA's (Hydraulic Valve Adjusters), if it only lasts a few seconds then dont worry as the oil has drained slightly, if it lasts longer than that I would get it looked into. N52 engines have serious issuex with the HVA's

ryukin

Post by ryukin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks srhutch. Do you know how much that's likely to cost and if it's a job for a garage or one I can attempt myself?

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:41 pm

I dont think it's a problem, so wouldnt worry, A slightly thicker oil may help as the 3.0i can drink a bit and again this reduces oil consumption to. I have not heard of anyone having to replace the HVA's on the older engines though.

ryukin

Post by ryukin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:22 pm

I'll try thicker oil in that case. It's a 2.2i rather than 3.0i though if that makes a difference.

Darren M

Post by Darren M » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:14 pm

Put your foot down on the clutch when both turning off the ignition and starting it, see if that helps. Oh and don`t let the car move when engine is off, so hand brake up first, car in neutral gear, foot on clutch, turn engine off.
IMO, definately not a problem. A possibility is that the cars have valve chains rather than a cambelt and occassionally you will get some chatter, but doing the above may help. Could be other things but doubt any of them are a problem. IMO, don`t use thicker oil, go with what`s recommended.
Current 2011 X1 2.0d xDrive
2006 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos with Light Sepang interior - GONE 08/2012 - PY56 GH* - where now?
2006 Z4 Si Coupe - Montego blue - GONE approx 05/2009 - WJ56 YU* - where now?

lamaman

Post by lamaman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:27 pm

I took mine into the dealer for the same problem - they buggered about with it but it didnt make any difference - short journeys or steady driving make it do that cold. That said, the dealer gave me the official BMW note which - in effect said "not a problem, if it bothers you drive the car harder and/or longer" - or words to that effect. Top Stuff. So I did. Until this week of course!
58 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport, Space Grey, 108's, ZHP

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:33 pm

I've had a ticking noise in just about everything I have owned, usually after sitting around for a little while and being cold. It goes away when it warms up and the oil gets moving around, if it doesn't it's usually time to check the oil levels.
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

ryukin

Post by ryukin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give the 'foot on the clutch when turning engine on/off' a go tomorrow and see what happens. I'm using Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 so i guess there shouldn't be any problems with the oil.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:38 pm

I always start and stop the car with foot on the clutch, it does eliminate a few noises.

rps

Post by rps » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 am

I just had the lifters etc. replaced under warranty in my 3.0i. The ticking noise was only present when the car sat for a couple of days and the temperature was cold. My car was at the dealers when they heard the noise and ordered the correction kit. The only drawback was it took them three weeks to replace the lifters which had to come from Germany. Everyone says that the ticking does not cause any permanent damage, but it does not sound normal and why would there be a correction kit?
2006 Z4 3.0i, Premium, Heated Seats, Power Top, Dice Silverline, Aux in, M Steering Wheel, Leather Z Armrest, Micro Antenna, and the saga will continue

de2
Location: Ventura County Gold Coast (sounds better than Oxnard), California

Post by de2 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:39 am

My 2006 3.0si has had the ticking noise (very random) from the HVA's (lifters) as well. In early December I had the car in for warranty oil change and mentioned the ticking noise and that I had read about a service bulletin about the lifters. A couple of hours after they started on the car, they said they checked the serial numbers of my lifters and they are to be replaced!

5 days later, I had the car back and thus far, all is well...

Mine was warranty work so no charge. I have no idea how much it would be out of warranty.

Good luck.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:44 am

de2 wrote:My 2006 3.0si has had the ticking noise (very random) from the HVA's (lifters) as well. In early December I had the car in for warranty oil change and mentioned the ticking noise and that I had read about a service bulletin about the lifters. A couple of hours after they started on the car, they said they checked the serial numbers of my lifters and they are to be replaced!

5 days later, I had the car back and thus far, all is well...

Mine was warranty work so no charge. I have no idea how much it would be out of warranty.

Good luck.
Up unitl September 09 they were replacing the entire head assembly as they did on mine, the head being modified to include a non return valve. But I guess the costs were to high to keep doing this (£3,500) so now they just replace the HVA's, but these must have been modified in some was otherwise the problem would still persist.

Gorbash12346

Post by Gorbash12346 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:12 pm

his engine won't be the N52 as from the picture it's a pre-facelift and will have the earlier M54 engine if it's a 6 cylinder.

as for rattley thats quite unusual unless your using the wrong grade of oil or it's level is too low.

how often do you drive your car? as said if it sits for about a week or more at a time and is a little rattley till the oils warmed up then i wouldn't be too worried as the HVA's have most likely just drained their oil out

what engine size is it? 2.0 2.2 2.5 or 3.0?

the oil your using is it bmw LL01 approved or LL04 approved? you should see it in the box of acea and api approval ratings etc on the back of the bottle

hope this helps

willowZ4C

Post by willowZ4C » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:49 pm

Mine is doing the exact same thing, i have been perservering with it as everytime i plan on taking it to the dealers, it magically goes away. My car is garaged everynight and sometimes left for 3 days at most. When starting there is a disticnt ticking noise which is in time with the engines rpm ( as revs increase, ticking speeds up ). I have a 07 3.0si coupe, not sure if its N52 or not, Is it worth taking to the dealers ??

Its not right, and quite frankley annoyoing, when driving through town and sounding like a 20 year old banger.

Cheers