Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How many Z4s have over 100k miles

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Chris- youve certainly clocked up more miles than i have!
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

z4all

Post by z4all » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 pm

IMZ4N wrote:
m44rrt wrote:I noticed IMZ4Ns post with 150k miles on his previous 2003 Z4
I wonder how many Z4s have over 100k miles and any tips on getting to these high mileage figures
CoolZ4 has 230K on his 2003 2.5 to date.

If it is broke, fixit

At 100K have the diff and trans oil replaced, Lifetime fluids right

keep an eye on fluids and bushings and shocks--- bushings and shocks wear over time, you may not even notice it, I didn't

Use injector cleaner every 15 tanks or so

If you have a 03-05 you may want to do yourself a favor and replace the Vanos seals

Water pumps have not been an issue, the plastic reserve tank and the secondary thermostat on the bottom of that tank is the only coolant issue I had .

I will be interested to see how many cars have throttle body issues at about 120k, I did, CoolZ4 is on his second one.

Just my thoughts.
how do you know if you have a throttle body issue?

i'm just about to hit 120k

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:46 pm

z4all wrote:
IMZ4N wrote:
m44rrt wrote:I noticed IMZ4Ns post with 150k miles on his previous 2003 Z4
I wonder how many Z4s have over 100k miles and any tips on getting to these high mileage figures
CoolZ4 has 230K on his 2003 2.5 to date.

If it is broke, fixit

At 100K have the diff and trans oil replaced, Lifetime fluids right

keep an eye on fluids and bushings and shocks--- bushings and shocks wear over time, you may not even notice it, I didn't

Use injector cleaner every 15 tanks or so

If you have a 03-05 you may want to do yourself a favor and replace the Vanos seals

Water pumps have not been an issue, the plastic reserve tank and the secondary thermostat on the bottom of that tank is the only coolant issue I had .

I will be interested to see how many cars have throttle body issues at about 120k, I did, CoolZ4 is on his second one.

Just my thoughts.
how do you know if you have a throttle body issue?

i'm just about to hit 120k
It will fail spectacularly, rendering the car undriveable:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90194&hilit=betty
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:53 pm

I've done 96k, so not quite in the 100k club yet. 10k a year and owned for four years with no real issues.
:D
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:07 pm

125k and counting.
Approximately 45k of this in my ownership :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Chris_D wrote:
Marlon wrote:
Chris_D wrote: no.....way :o
Also, factor in that he's only had a licence for just over 10 years :D
jesus h christ on a bike that's an average of (edit) 7.75 cars a year! lol@basic maths. :lol:
I'm trying to think what frequency of 7.75x things a year I do....

haircuts. not much left to cut tbh so will become more infrequent :lol:
buying headphones :roll:
worrying at something not worth worrying about :?
inviting UK friends over to Holland :wink:
visiting UK and checking on house, contents, garden :|
cleaning my bathroom ewwwww :lol:
changing the brush on my lekky toothbrush :D
rearranging furniture to some degree :roll:

anyone else?
There be plenty folk here abouts that don't fill up the tank on there Zed's 7.75 times a year. :oops:

Maybe Jamie's found a way to never pay for petrol. :o Just buy a car with a full tank, drive it till it's empty, then buy another. :thumbsup:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:59 pm

Maybe Jamie's found a way to never pay for petrol. :o Just buy a car with a full tank, drive it till it's empty, then buy another. :thumbsup:[/quote]

I actually used to do this quite alot. I used to buy a lot of cars through work or car auctions etc and pass them over to a friend of mine with an indie garage/sales pitch to sell on for me. I always used to use the ones with fuel in till they were near empty and then hand them to my mate to sell. Certainly helps with fuel bills and mileage on my "proper car".

Only do the odd one or two now and then these days but years ago I was probably doing 5-6 a month for a good 10-15 years so I guess I can claim I've owned and driven hundreds in my 20+ years of driving, Beating Jaime, :poke: although not really! :rofl: I would genuine feel guilty trading my proper car that often and in that respect I'm more ChrisD having owned a 205 GTI now for 20 years or so.

Jaime I don't know if you deserve an award or should actually be facing jail time for being such a "car traitor!" :poke: :rofl:
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:04 pm

MACK wrote:I would genuine feel guilty trading my proper car that often and in that respect I'm more ChrisD having owned a 205 GTI now for 20 years or so.
wow, respic! Got any pics of that 205?
This is the last pic of 'Benny' i got before he was unceremoniously smacked into last March. Was still looking quite respectable imo:
IMG_4838.JPG
IMG_4838.JPG (162.63 KiB) Viewed 1113 times

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:30 pm

Hey I'm just trying to save all the neglected bmws in the world I take them clean them within an inch of their life and fix their problems so they are ready for their next loving owner :D
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:43 pm

I bought mine nearly 3 years' ago with 87k on the.clock. It's now on 106k.

I follow the service interval "reminders" and get an engine oil change done half way. Apart from the servicing costs, which included the big one, my only expenditure has been on a set of tyres all round and fixing the windscreen wipers, which I did myself for less than £4, and installing a new headlamp washer cap, which I also did with change from £30.

I suspect a new headlamp bulb will be needed soon. One of them is producing increasingly purple light.

Long may all of that continue.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Chris_D wrote:
MACK wrote:I would genuine feel guilty trading my proper car that often and in that respect I'm more ChrisD having owned a 205 GTI now for 20 years or so.
This is the last pic of 'Benny' i got before he was unceremoniously smacked into last March. Was still looking quite respectable imo:
IMG_4838.JPG
Looked in very good nick "Benny" especially considering the age and mileage. Such a shame really it ended the way it did.
205 wise, I do have some photos some where but there that old they're pre digital!
It was "retired" about 8 years ago and literally has been out of its garage four or five times in that time, mainly to check it still runs, change the oil etc!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:04 pm

MACK wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
IMG_4838.JPG
Looked in very good nick "Benny" especially considering the age and mileage. Such a shame really it ended the way it did.
205 wise, I do have some photos some where but there that old they're pre digital!
It was "retired" about 8 years ago and literally has been out of its garage four or five times in that time, mainly to check it still runs, change the oil etc!
Yeah, we'd been through thick n thin together. From braving snowdrifts in Stavanger to keeping me warm in the middle of -20deg winters in Estonia, to wafting me down to the Algarve in the middle of summer and back, with no complaints, a real trooper through and through. Rip. He looks rather forlorn under his funeral garb these days...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (176.8 KiB) Viewed 1101 times

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:18 pm

Chris_D wrote:
MACK wrote:
Chris_D wrote: wow, respic! Got any pics of that 205?
IMG_4838.JPG
Yeah, we'd been through thick n thin together. From braving snowdrifts in Stavanger to keeping me warm in the middle of -20deg winters in Estonia, to wafting me down to the Algarve in the middle of summer and back, with no complaints, a real trooper through and through. Rip. He looks rather forlorn under his funeral garb these days...
image.jpeg
No chance of a miraculous resurrection then?
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:38 am

MACK wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
MACK wrote:
image.jpeg
No chance of a miraculous resurrection then?
Nah. Thought anout stripping it and turning it into a drift/trackday bruiser, but it's too far gone i think...
IMG_4655.JPG
IMG_4655.JPG (188.11 KiB) Viewed 1097 times

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:49 am

You've still got Benny under a sheet in the drive :o
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S