Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coupe vs Roadster

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Z4good

Coupe vs Roadster

Post by Z4good » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:25 pm

Just curious, and not wanting to start a war, but I am seriously looking to trade my 2003 roadster, for a 2007 coupe. Both have basically the same packages, but I really, really like the look of the coupe and I found a nice one, at a good price. I love my roadster, but just want to change up. I drove the Z4M coupe last week, (what an animal!!) but felt a little tighter in the cabin, compared to my roadster. For those of you who have gone over to the dark side, do you feel a difference in the the interior? I'm thinking because of the sport seats, I felt a bit more cramped. I'm going to test drive the non M coupe this afternoon, and I hope it doesn't feel as tight. I'm really talking more about leg room (seat fore and aft) as opposed to overall room, as I'm tall and need all the leg rom I can get. Thanks for any thoughts!
2003 3.0I Sport package, few mods, and of course a stubby!

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Coupe vs Roadster

Post by Taz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:31 pm

the interiors are identical with the exception of styles, seats, trim etc

jodale

Post by jodale » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:20 pm

I struggle with the same dilema. Personally, I find the outside of the coupe to be fantastic but it cannot replace the feeling of riding open top in the roadster. I spend more time inside my car than outside so I drive the roadster and look in envy at the coupes. I do find the roadster with the top down a close second in outside appearance so I just keep the top down most of the time. I think the only answer is to own both or buy the new hardtop roadster but sadly that is not going to happen.

indez4cpe

Coupe vs Roadster

Post by indez4cpe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Z4good wrote:For those of you who have gone over to the dark side
I quite like the dark side ;-)
3.0si Sport Coupe Auto - Silver Grey De-Badged with a WHIP! 8) Image

Ben.

Post by Ben. » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:03 pm

I agree, the Coupe looks fantastic but it is all about top-less motoring for me...
Spent two weeks in Europe up and down the mountains, the Roadster was fantastic and if I had a roof I wouldn't have seen half the views
Ex-Z owner

Bandit007

Post by Bandit007 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:33 pm

I was born to be dark.....

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:23 pm

Taz x wrote:the interiors are identical with the exception of styles, seats, trim etc
the only difference inside is the roof, all other options are available on both.

Ben.

Post by Ben. » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:11 pm

srhutch wrote:
Taz x wrote:the interiors are identical with the exception of styles, seats, trim etc
the only difference inside is the roof, all other options are available on both.
Wind Deflector?
Ex-Z owner

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:36 am

only if the roadster has one fitted :wink:

magicgreg

Post by magicgreg » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:45 pm

I think the consensus seems to be that the coupe looks visually more aesthetic and pleasing on the eye yet as many have mentioned the feeling of having the roof off is a good one!
BMW Z4 Coupe Montego Blue
Custom Quad Exit Exhaust, 19" Staggered Cades, HIDs, ZHP, Parrot MKi9200, Stubby, Power Sounder Mod, Ally Tax Disc Holder, Debadged....

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Time to separate this group; Z4-Coupeforum.com and Z4-Roadsterforum.com :wink:
Go Topless

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:22 pm

powerontap wrote:Time to separate this group; Z4-Coupeforum.com and Z4-Roadsterforum.com :wink:

the roadster owners may not have the eye of the coupe owners but they have lots of knowledge so i think i would prefer to stick togeather - they come in handy sometimes :)

roofless

Post by roofless » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:11 pm

Drive a 2007 roadster and see how it compares to the coupe, i would imagine that the 4 years difference between your current car and the coupe you mention will have an automatic difference so compare like for like age wise, then decide if you want to keep or lose the roofless driving option.
Personally i do like the look of the coupe but not anywhere near enough to make me change from a roadster and when i see roadsters on the road they do look so damn good. I'd miss the sun, or rain, on my face too much to do the coupe thing.
Good luck :thumbsup: :driving:
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

roofless

Post by roofless » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Taz x wrote:
powerontap wrote:Time to separate this group; Z4-Coupeforum.com and Z4-Roadsterforum.com :wink:

the roadster owners may not have the eye of the coupe owners but they have lots of knowledge so i think i would prefer to stick togeather - they come in handy sometimes :)
And i don't think the forum would be half as much fun without a little light hearted banter :)
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:15 pm

there isn't a ragtop (any make) in the world that looks good with its pram top up