Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What are your winter tire plans this year?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift

What will you be doing for winter tires ?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:19 am

I plan to store my summer wheel/tire set and mount a winter/tire set.
35%
I plan to remove the summer tires and mount winter tires.
9%
I don't plan to drive this winter will just visit my Z4.
No votes
I store my Z4 and drive another car in the winter.
12%
I am still thinking about it have not made my mind up.
18%
I plan to do nothing, just take her for a spin if it is 45F (7C).
26%

Total votes: 34

Rolf-Dieter

What are your winter tire plans this year?

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:19 am

What will you be doing for winter tires this year ?

I hope you been thinking about it, winter is just around the corner :)
2012 M3 with all options. My Last Car was a 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i
Have a Great Day! ............... Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

04z4

Re: What are your winter tire plans this year?

Post by 04z4 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:30 am

I plan to do nothing. I have "all season" tires, but even the UHP summer tires I had in the past on my Z3 were not too bad in the cold and light snow. I will drive the Z4 regardless of how low the temperature gets (rarely, it can get down close to 0F/-18C here). If there is light snow, I will drive it. In bad ice or heavy snow (might only happen once in 5 years) I will just stay home and maybe build a snowman. Now, if I was living in Canada (the closest was growing up in Wisconsin) I would probably have a four wheel drive truck and park the Z4 for the winter to keep it out of the salt (do they put salt on the roads there?). I have a 2WD truck here but it would be horrible on snow or ice compared to the Z4 or just about any car.
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster, Alpine White

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:33 am

I will switch back to my winter tires and rims which are currently Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60, I usually make the switch just before the end of November and then back to summer tires in late March... :driving:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

peds8045

Post by peds8045 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:59 pm

I don't have the spare cash for spare wheels and winter tyres.
Had some many years ago when living in Germany and found one major flaw with winter tyres, if you're the only person with them fitted you tend to get stuck in the traffic jam behind everyone else that doesn't have them fitted. :(

Rolf-Dieter

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:10 pm

peds8045 wrote:I don't have the spare cash for spare wheels and winter tyres.
Had some many years ago when living in Germany and found one major flaw with winter tyres, if you're the only person with them fitted you tend to get stuck in the traffic jam behind everyone else that doesn't have them fitted. :(
Must have been some bad winter tires :poke:

Rolf-Dieter

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:12 pm

WLH wrote:I will switch back to my winter tires and rims which are currently Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60, I usually make the switch just before the end of November and then back to summer tires in late March... :driving:
I do the same done so with my M3 (I shall miss my M3 this winter, sold it in the spring there was a traffic jam in my drive way after I brought home my new Z4 :rofl: ). If the snow is too high I use our reliable AWD.

Rolf-Dieter

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:16 pm

04z4 wrote:I plan to do nothing. I have "all season" tires, but even the UHP summer tires I had in the past on my Z3 were not too bad in the cold and light snow. I will drive the Z4 regardless of how low the temperature gets (rarely, it can get down close to 0F/-18C here). If there is light snow, I will drive it. In bad ice or heavy snow (might only happen once in 5 years) I will just stay home and maybe build a snowman. Now, if I was living in Canada (the closest was growing up in Wisconsin) I would probably have a four wheel drive truck and park the Z4 for the winter to keep it out of the salt (do they put salt on the roads there?). I have a 2WD truck here but it would be horrible on snow or ice compared to the Z4 or just about any car.
Sounds like you have the matter under control :) as for salt, I think there is a mixture of salt in the sand they put on the streets here. I take my Z4 only if the streets are dry and the snow is one from the roads (it is quite normal here in Southwestern Ontario). My car(s) get a weekly wash with great attention to the underside and wheel wells.

azroadie

Post by azroadie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:17 am

There needs to be an option, "Keep cruising on the summer tires with the top down." Gotta love Arizona "winters!" :D
Supercharged Metallic Grey 2003 2.5i Z4 roadster, Sport, Premium, convenience, DICE Ipod, tinted winows, xenon, heated seats, clear bra, Falken FK452s, Supersprint Race Exhaust, modified CDV, ESS TS2 Supercharger

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:24 am

azroadie wrote:There needs to be an option, "Keep cruising on the summer tires with the top down." Gotta love Arizona "winters!" :D
As soon as I can get a car in my garage in Chandler without going bankrupt I will join you in your reverie but until then I just have to reserve comment or I would be banned from the forum for being way too rude (jealous) :rofl: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

chetalien

Post by chetalien » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:16 am

By the way how do u store the tires I mean- would u box it and put one on top of the other, not sure, because I remember my tyre guy saying something about storing tyres coz i they are stored for too long in one position then the maybe a bit worn then others, dont know how true this is. Does anyone know?

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:31 am

Just got a insert in BMW magazine they are doing V Spoke style 141 with run flat tyres at £660! Sounds like quite a bargain for 4 new rims and tyres ????? It does not say size but this will most likely be 16" as it says it fits the 1 series.
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:06 pm

I didn't do anything last year and only got stuck once uphill when it got bad :) Looking for some better RFT's anyway.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:02 am

Not sure yet, we had a relatively bad winter in the UK but I don't know if we are expecting the same again this year. If we are I may consider having a spare set, trouble is I live in a flat and don't know where I would store them
2.5se Roadster - First Z
3.0 si Sport Coupe - now sold :cry:

Rolf-Dieter

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:13 am

mason storm wrote:Not sure yet, we had a relatively bad winter in the UK but I don't know if we are expecting the same again this year. If we are I may consider having a spare set, trouble is I live in a flat and don't know where I would store them
Some BMW dealerships here in North America store the Summer/Winter sets. Perhaps you can ask a Friend?

Rolf-Dieter

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:22 am

chetalien wrote:By the way how do u store the tires I mean- would u box it and put one on top of the other, not sure, because I remember my tyre guy saying something about storing tyres coz i they are stored for too long in one position then the maybe a bit worn then others, dont know how true this is. Does anyone know?
I have plastic BMW tire bags, the important thing is that the tire is stored in a dry environment and the tire gets air (so holes and or openings are required if you store tires only without the wheels). You can store them on top of one another. Or you can purchase special tire bags.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=60

For tire/wheel sets, you only need to store them either side by side on the wall in a tire holding storage shelf or like the tires only on top of each other.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=164

or

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=62