Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dim Headlights - candles would be brighter!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
srhutch

Re: Dim Headlights - candles would be brighter!

Post by srhutch » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:34 pm

ksher wrote:I don't even need main beam on twisty and non-illuminated B-roads. The dimmed xenon headlights are bright enough at moderate speed.
But your comparing chalk with cheese ksher, the halegons on the E89 could be much better than on the E85/6

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:38 pm

srhutch wrote:
ksher wrote:I don't even need main beam on twisty and non-illuminated B-roads. The dimmed xenon headlights are bright enough at moderate speed.
But your comparing chalk with cheese ksher, the halegons on the E89 could be much better than on the E85/6
All E89 models have xenon headlights as standard.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:32 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
Eh??
xenon and HID are the same thing. xenon being just one inert gas used in HID type lighting. I see no reson why an aftermarket bulb would be any better (or worse) than an OEM. Aftermarket only work on dipped and not main so are single.

As for scattering the beam I'm not sure what you are getting at?

For sure overly high temp aftermarket bulbs give out less useful light.
Mine wasn’t the clearest post in the world…. Typing it while I was trying to leave work :headbang:

Was I was basically trying to get at is that a car with halogen headlights… which then had an aftermarket HID kit fitted would probably light up the road much better than a car with OEM Xenons.

Never seen the projector within the Z4 – so your probably much more experienced what that then me.. but on the S2K I had a UK car whch came with factory HID’s another guy had a JAP import which came with halogens which he fitted HIDS to… both running 4.3k colour and aligned on a wall to approx. the same height…. and his were much brighter.. the cut off within his projectors also had holes in to light up road signs.. which after he fitted his HID's produced a "UFO" effect.

One guy on that forum worked for Toyota within the R&D department (ok so gone completely off the topic here now… started off with a Z4, then gone to a Honda and now toyota :oops:) …. turns out that the projectors + glass used in halogens lights are very different to xenons one – to accommodate things such as the length of the D2R bulbs being longer then H7 and the way a bulb filled with Xenon gas produces its light.

Essentially the lens fitted on halogen projector lights generate a more scattered light pattern then the lens fitted to xenon lights … Thats my interpretation of it… I’ll see if I can find and access the original post and copy it here (which was much more technically).. as it even had pics of the different projectors + lens and the pattern of light they produced (between D2R, D2S and H7 fitment) for the then upcoming Avensis.

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:40 am

aquazi wrote:
Essentially the lens fitted on halogen projector lights generate a more scattered light pattern then the lens fitted to xenon lights … Thats my interpretation of it… I’ll see if I can find and access the original post and copy it here (which was much more technically).. as it even had pics of the different projectors + lens and the pattern of light they produced (between D2R, D2S and H7 fitment) for the then upcoming Avensis.
Correct as per mintstuff's findings

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... ilit=xenon

I also put these clear (non ribbed lens) into my xenon retrofit and the glare appears to be quite low

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:14 am

aquazi - I see where you're coming from and in effect suggesting that scattered light from an aftermarket is better than an oem xenon. I can't agree that could ever be right, but perhaps under certain combinations the usable dipped light on the area in front of the car is greater, but of course scattered light is often dazzling light??

I do however feel that aftermarkets in halogens are really an ill fitting combo with different length bulb, different structure of lens and dim/main functions and will never match the standards set by the light manufacturers.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:05 pm

CJ- totally agree with you here.. especially driving in the dark morning and evening to and from work and encountering countless cars with HID's fitted in reflector style headlights which would dazzle even planes in the sky! - Most of which seem to be private taxis!

However to contradict above! if i was in the situation to own a car with projector halogens and i felt that they inadequatly lit the road then i wouldnt waste time or money on brighter bulbs and would get a HID kit.. which can be had for under £40 on eBay now!

chester2000

Post by chester2000 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi All,

OK after reading all the various posts I'm confused which KIt I should get.

I have standard halogens which are pathetic on the country lanes.

Has anyone used the "ASTRA" kit detailed earlier in this thread ?

thanks

doofus4000

Post by doofus4000 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Yea and I have asked before too about which kit to buy..I am going to buy today or tomorrow, which one do you all recommend? I think the kit that a11y owns seems the best and he gives them a good review?

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:34 pm

Someone say my name? :)

I've got THIS KIT - 50w Supervision kit, 4300k colour. Very impressed after 12 months of use, no issues so far, no error messages and worked first time when I fitted them (once I'd sussed out which wire was live!).

But if I was buying now I'd be tempted by THIS SLIMLINE KIT. No reason other than I believe other Z4-forumers have used this kit and can install it within the headlamp unit itself, negating the need to drill a hole through the lamp access cover and avoiding potential condensation issues. I'm not sure on the bulb error cancellers with this slimline kit though - they've got an "H7 + Bulb Error Cancellers" option in their drop-down list.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

doofus4000

Post by doofus4000 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:44 pm

O there he is lol that slimline kit looks like a good job - you reckon it would be as good as the kit you have fitted? is the kit you have differernt/specefic for the bmws or have they just advertised it as a kit for bmws with it being a generic kit that would fit any car like the slimline one?

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:47 pm

Think the only difference that makes my kit BMW specific was the inclusion of a proven error cancelling unit (basically a large capacitor IIRC). I believe the bulb holders/bits/etc are all generic anyway.

Have a search for slimline HID kits on the forum as I certainly recall others fitting them. HIDs-direct has a good reputation so I'd guess all their kits are of similar quality.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

T-J

Post by T-J » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:50 pm

I use Specsavers and they are ok for me :?

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:41 pm

ksher wrote:
srhutch wrote:
All E89 models have xenon headlights as standard.
didn't know that but the point I was making is there is no point in comparing the headlights between the E85/6 and the E89

doofus4000

Post by doofus4000 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:11 am

rite a11y youve convinced me now - ordered up a set of slimline ones! candle lights are an exaggeration of how crap the halogens are - more like a bulb connected to a wire wheel with a mouse running around it.

chester2000

Post by chester2000 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 am

Doofus, can you let us know how you get on with the slimline kit.

Cheers