Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Water into the boot again - ideas please

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Max

Water into the boot again - ideas please

Post by Max » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi,
The heavy rain has come again..........and I have water coming into the boot again!! It is collecting in the O/S well, over an inch deep and overflowing into the battery box. I assume this is because I park on a small slope with a lean to the right. Thus I assume the water will flow that way.

1- I believe the drains to be clear. My test was to poor water some water into the "well" where thee drains are, prior to cleaning the car last weekend. The water drained immediately, assume the drains are clear.
2- the boot seal looks ok
3- no water appears to be coming from the lights etc.

The water seems to be coming from above the wheelarch (foam backing on the arch soaking) This has now happened twice, both after extremely heavy rain. No problems when I wash the car

Any thoughts?

Gerry

Re: Water into the boot again - ideas please

Post by Gerry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Do you wash the roof when you wash the car ?
2.5 Maldives Blue, tottaly original , no mods,

Max

Post by Max » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Yes, but normally a rinse over with the hose

Z4 Pilot

Do this with someone you trust . . . .

Post by Z4 Pilot » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Years ago I owned a BMW 320is. I started getting water in the trunk and checked everything. It all "looked" normal. Then I climbed into the trunk and had my wife take a hose and run water all along the edges. Using a flashlight I found there was a pinhead size hole in the rubber seal which was allowing water to enter. I sealed it with a rubber seal product and it fixed the problem . . . as you can tell by this note . . . my wife let me out. Wheeww.
2005 Z4 Roadster 3.0i, Sterling Gray Metallic, Black Extended High Performance Leather, Sycamore Wood Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package, Sequential Manual Gearbox, 30mm GAU-8/A Gatling Gun and Perma Grin.

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Do this with someone you trust . . . .

Post by peddy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Z4 Pilot wrote:Years ago I owned a BMW 320is. I started getting water in the trunk and checked everything. It all "looked" normal. Then I climbed into the trunk and had my wife take a hose and run water all along the edges. Using a flashlight I found there was a pinhead size hole in the rubber seal which was allowing water to enter. I sealed it with a rubber seal product and it fixed the problem . . . as you can tell by this note . . . my wife let me out. Wheeww.
:rofl:

Oakandacorns

Post by Oakandacorns » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:23 pm

Z4 Pilot wrote:Years ago I owned a BMW 320is. I started getting water in the trunk and checked everything. It all "looked" normal. Then I climbed into the trunk and had my wife take a hose and run water all along the edges. Using a flashlight I found there was a pinhead size hole in the rubber seal which was allowing water to enter. I sealed it with a rubber seal product and it fixed the problem . . . as you can tell by this note . . . my wife let me out. Wheeww.
:rofl: :rofl: Glad Mrs Z4 Pilot was in a good mood and let you out :) .

Max - an alternative way to try and check where the water is coming in, if it's because of the boot seals, could be to apply a light dusting of talcum powder to the boot seals before a heavy downpour/using hosepipe on car? Mentioned in another post about the door seals in the past.
Oakandacorns
Former: 2.5 (04), Ellipsoid alloys, Heated seats, RFT, OEM Wind Deflector
Love it

chrismann85

Post by chrismann85 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 am

would not try this with my girlfriend :!:
Chris

05MY 2.0l Z4 - ToledoBlue/Oregon Leather, Ellipsiod 107s with Falken 452s, DICE, ZHP Gear Knob... no stubby!

WANTED: Sport seats, audio upgrades, MFSW... PM me

left98204

Post by left98204 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:37 am

Getting into the boot of a 320is is one thing, getting into the boot of a Z4 is something else entirely :lol:

Do you have children? :poke:
54 Plate 2.2 SE, Titanium Silver, retro fitted Heated, Electric MSports Seats, Gaptech, Cruise Control, 108's - Owned from new :)

Oakandacorns

Post by Oakandacorns » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:35 pm

left98204 wrote:Getting into the boot of a 320is is one thing, getting into the boot of a Z4 is something else entirely :lol:

Do you have children? :poke:
:rofl: :rofl:
Oakandacorns
Former: 2.5 (04), Ellipsoid alloys, Heated seats, RFT, OEM Wind Deflector
Love it

envy

Post by envy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:45 pm

dont know if you've tried this. open the boot and pour water along the top of it where the seals are. the water should wash down and straight out the bottom of the car. mine was leaking water through one of the rear lights which wasnt secured properly and letting water into the nearside well, quite a lot so i was able to spot it easily

Max

Post by Max » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi, Another 3/4 inch of water in the rear well again this morning. Thanks for all your suggestions some useful tips. However, the water is definitely coming in from above the wheelarch. The noise deadening foam on the arch is soaked and wet at the top. Whether this is a drain issue, partially blocked? I do not know.

There is no way I can get in the boot, same for my kids, both over 6ft!. but if I take out the adjustable shelf, I may be able to see something.

Any other thoughts, would be helpful.

If the drain is partially blocked may explain the problem in heavy rain. Can clean these with a wire from the bottom, but HOW the hell can you do it from the top, especially if putting an air hose on it.

Max

Post by Max » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:26 pm

water still getting in. Checked the drains again, all OK. BMW think it could be the boot seal. does not seem feasable to me as the top of the wing and under the seal appear dry.

Zed

Post by Zed » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:27 pm

envy wrote:dont know if you've tried this. open the boot and pour water along the top of it where the seals are. the water should wash down and straight out the bottom of the car. mine was leaking water through one of the rear lights which wasnt secured properly and letting water into the nearside well, quite a lot so i was able to spot it easily
Second that, had same problem after previous owner had another issue with water ingress which transpired to be a softtop seal which had become trapped, creased and leaky. After BMS sorted, picked the car up from him, had more water in the boot after rain fall, n/s well, carpet soaking all the way to rear suspension mount (soaked up like a sponge). Did the same, ran water between the seal and wing, low and behold it was one of the Torx screws which retains trim and the rear ligh cluster - tightened - job done!

Deffo worth a look, even just double check the screws and underside retainers are tight.
'04 Silver Z4 3.0i, leather, foldy mirrors, key opperated top, Carver, BT, MFSW, Clear light pack, red callipers, Cruise, K&N filter

Max

Post by Max » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Zed, thanks.if it stops raining Il have a go. I have placed another post on how to remove the parcel shelf. I want to get the carpet out and dry it out

spanna2000

Post by spanna2000 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:41 pm

I had a water ingress problem (water getting into the two compartments on the left and right of the boot area.

The water was coming in at the light area, draining to the metal and then being taken up by the carpet and the foam. It was hard to find the cause of the leak because the wet foam gave the impression the water was coming from the hood area. I found the problem before it became so bad to drain into the batter compartment - that would have been a very bad thing as the sound system amplifier is also in the batter compartment and the water would have trashed it.

I resolved this by tightening the nuts that hold the rear light clusters in place. There is a BMW mod to the light/fastenings seal but I haven't needed that yet.