Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another Can of Worms... Your thoughts on Tires....

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Another Can of Worms... Your thoughts on Tires....

Post by Shipkiller » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:44 am

I am now ready to pull the trigger on new wheels and tires.

Everyone chime in on what tires you all like... This will be like an "oil" question. EVERYONE has an opinion.... :fuelfire:

I like to drive "spiritedly", as TireRack says, and don't drive in the snow. I have the truck for that fun... :evil:

I have two or three possibles picked out already but I want to here what all the others say.... BUT NO RFT's.. :poke:
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:29 am

My RFT's were replaced by a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s. I knew I was in for a much nicer driving experience before I even got out of the parking lot from the tire store that did the swap.

Interesting side note - while I was on Tire Rack's web site the other day I was surprised to see that Michelin has a new version of the Pilot Sport PS2s called the ZP. Very little info on the tire beyond the fact that it exists and is apparently a brand new version of a run flat tire made by Michelin for BMW and it is only available in the size of our Z4s with the Sports Package (225/40ZR18F & 255/35ZR18R). I am not necessarily interested in yet another RFT but I wonder what model of BMW this tire got manufactured for.....

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Another Can of Worms... Your thoughts on Tires....

Post by Shipkiller » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:40 am

I have two tires in mind, but my mind can be changed....

Kumho Ecsta ASX or Falken FK452's.

The Kumho's are from TireRack and the Falken's are from Discount Tire.

BlackSapphireZ

Post by BlackSapphireZ » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:41 am

michelins are little pricey... I went for the GoodYear Eagle F1's awesome grip in both wet and dry conditions and even in the cold, it performs well. I have so far about 17000 miles on the tires and still have few thousands to go. EXCELLENT tread rating to me since i drive hard.
have no regrets with my purchase!

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:47 am

General Exclaim UHP should not be underestimated. 8)
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:52 am

I looked at the UHP's but saw a lot of people dissing them for tread life....

I did like there specs.....

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:12 am

I have them on my M6 reps, and they're very good for my skill level (i.e. regular spirited driving with no track time / experience). The sidewalls are a little softer, but running them as 35 or 30 profile I think they're just fine. As far as tread life, it's rated 400AA. I've only got about 3000 miles on them and don't have any complaints. I figured I'd try them and if I didn't like them then I'd only have wasted a little $ (since they're inexpensive). I really like them. :)
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

2 Zero
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2 Zero » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:26 am

My son put Kumho's on his CLK and he isn't getting any milage at all out of them he only has 3K and they look like 50% gone or more.
Out driving my car!!
See ya on the road!!

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:35 pm

BlackSapphireZ wrote:michelins are little pricey... I went for the GoodYear Eagle F1's awesome grip in both wet and dry conditions and even in the cold, it performs well. I have so far about 17000 miles on the tires and still have few thousands to go. EXCELLENT tread rating to me since i drive hard.
have no regrets with my purchase!
X2 as I have had F1's on both my 03 & 06 Zed. Excellent tires but not the cheapest option.... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:32 pm

Performance comes at a cost = lower tread life...
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS

plowy

Post by plowy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:06 pm

I put the Falken 452's on my 3.0i and can only say they are fantastic, for as long as i own the car nothing else will go on it, have done two track days on them and 9000 miles, fronts still have 4mm rears are nearly ready for replacing but what a fantastic tyre on this car in all areas..

Zeefour

Post by Zeefour » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Shipkiller wrote:I like to drive "spiritedly", as TireRack says, and don't drive in the snow. I have the truck for that fun... :evil:

I have two or three possibles picked out already but I want to here what all the others say.... BUT NO RFT's.. :poke:
I have the OEM Continental (non RFT) Z rated tires, and they work for me. Not sure what your definition of "spirited driving" is, but i can take 35-45 mph exit/entrance ramps at 80mph+ with no problem and they handle great in the rain too. I don't do track driving, but its my daly commuter... :thumbsup:
03 3.0i, 03 AMG E55

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:07 pm

I can't fault the Michelin Pilot Sport 2s, but am well aware they command a premium price.

I think next time all 4 get replaced on my Z (i'm in need of some rears only at the moment :evil: so replacing with more PS2s to match the fronts), then I will give the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymmetric, as they've had some outstanding reviews in the motoring press since launch, and no doubt are slightly cheaper than the Michelins.

spokey

Post by spokey » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:30 pm

Is it too late for me to mention Toyo Proxes T1-Rs? I put them on the Z1 as a gamble and was so impressed, I immediately ripped the Goodyear Eagle GSD3's off my M5 and put Toyo's on. They were immense, especially in the wet.

I was going to put them on the 1er this month, but unfortunately, I have to give Alistair Darling some money so that he can dish it out to feckless layabouts and / or management consultants. :x
Cheers,
Spokey
Aebous wrote:
lacroupade wrote:
Aebous wrote:Does dating your car count?
Only if it involves something unpleasant to do with your tailpipe.... :rofl:
I wouldn't call it unpleasant :?

epbrown

Post by epbrown » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:06 pm

I've got Goodyears on my '03 and will be replacing the stock Contis on my Z4MC. I'm still deciding between the PS2s (well-loved by all) and the new F1 Asymetrics (I like my DS-G3s but no experience with the new ones, though reviews are good).
Z4 M Coupe Production, 2006-2008
Coupes, Worldwide: 4,275, North America: 1,815.