Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clear tails + indicators upgrade

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Hotride

Re: Clear tails + indicators upgrade

Post by Hotride » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:11 am

I thought the gloss paint alone would have given them a great shine. but there you go.
and polyglaze? isn't that cheap supermarket polish?? get some Meguiars polish, you will love it.

anyways the lights look great!! much better then the uneven oem ones!

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Thanks mate!

The gloss paint might have given it a good shine by itself if it had been applied properly. As it was it had a bit of orange peel and texture, so I had to sand and polish it out. Yeah I know, polyglaze is shameful. Which Meg's one do you recommend for a decent cut?
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:23 am

ummm I think there is one called scratch X. that is what I would use to remove any fine scratches and swirl marks. (currently have a bottle of autoglym paint renovator, and it worked brilliantly on the haziness on the front lenses) I just prefer meguiars products these days!

I use their deep crystal polish as an everyday polish tho. scratch X whenever I find a mark/swirl/scratch/fading that needs attention

Edit: Scratch X link - http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10307

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:28 am

OK sorry I forgot to mention Scratch-X. I do actually have a tube of it but feel that it's not coarse enough, particularly for anything that needs a decent polish. Might check out the deep crystal polish...
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Ohh scratch-x is harsher then deep crystal. Deep crystal doesn't really have any cutting ability. I thought scratch-x would do the job.

I do find the autoglym paint renovator to work ok tho, removed some scratch's from the side of my car where some &$@% hit it with a trolley at a shopping centre! Did take about 1/2 hour with some microfiber cloth's tho

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:48 pm

Oh really? Scratch-X really isn't very strong, so I can't imagine how light deep crystal is! Reading its description the AG Paint Renovator sounds like it's pretty course, so might be suitable...

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:42 pm

well the paint renovator has worked well for me - the headlights were a bit hazy, and it made them crystal clear, and has worked fairly well at removing a few scratches other people have added to my car :headbang: probably worth a try.

the deep crystal is more of a pure polish - not for cutting just for shinning the car really. But i have Clay, paint renovator, Polish, Wax, wheel cleaner, tire shine, interior vinyl and leather cleanser now lol, getting a bit into the detailing thing lately. All my products are Meguiars except the paint renovator

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:19 am

Haha yeah the detailing thing is a massive black hole! I started down it on my last car but really got into it with the Zed ;)

I'll head down the shops this weekend and see what decent cut polishes are on offer. I use Meg's NXT wash and the Tech Wax 2.0 paste, but a range of other stuff for everything else, including Poorboys and Chemical Guys.