Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Strut Brace.... Must have mod!!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Hotride

New Strut Brace.... Must have mod!!

Post by Hotride » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:23 am

Well I have been wanting a strut brace for a while so i bought one of the Ultra racing Strut Braces. and as soon as I got home, tools out, engine bay open, and straight to it.

I got the old struts and bolts off fairly easily, and fitted the new brace in place, and make sure it fits. All looks good, it clears the engine by about 2cm and seems like it doesn't touch the bonnet. Finally I just had to screw the nuts on with my torque wrench set to 35NM and job done.

However this is where my problem occurred. I did up 7 of the 8 nuts without issue, then when I was doing up the last nut, I hear a loud crack and the nut comes loose. After looking at it closer it seems I have broken the thread that sticks up out of the Strut!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

So I'm hoping someone on hear knows something about suspension... Can I drive my car? or is it unsafe to drive while missing this nut? Also does anyone have any idea how how to fix it? or how much its gunna cost? im sure it wont be cheap - ruining what was about to be a great afternoon testing my new brace :headbang: I think its part no.1 in the link below
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=31&fg=10

Anyways some pics of the new Brace - will take some more in the daylight tomorro

Before
Test Fit

It doesnt allow for the Bonnet sensor, I have removed mine for now and will refit it later
and job done, although iphone flash is terrible

And the problem - that has me using colourfull language and dreading tomorrow :x
Last edited by Hotride on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hotride

Re: New Strut Brace.... And Broken Strut bolts!!! Need Help!

Post by Hotride » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:58 pm

well after all the helpful posts I received on this, I went down to my local dealer to see what could be done. They say I have to buy a new part called a Guide support (p/n- 31336779613) - which the dealer quoted me $120 + 3 hours labour to fit. total Bill - $510 :headbang:

the whole strut brace cost $200 and $500 to fix a bolt, is just criminal!

So I sourced the part eventually from a wholesaler in Aus for $70 delivered, and I figured i would buy a coil spring compresser ($25) and a ball joint seperater ($15) and do it myself.

Then I called my suspension guy and told him the story, and he offered to fit the part for $75, so for the sake of making sure its done right and having someone else to blame should any other bolts shear off, I have the car booked in for early next week to get it all fixed up.

Then hopefully ill get a chance to test this new Strut Brace :driving: and refit the bonnet sensor somehow!

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:08 am

Hotride wrote:well after all the helpful posts I received on this, I went down to my local dealer to see what could be done. They say I have to buy a new part called a Guide support (p/n- 31336779613) - which the dealer quoted me $120 + 3 hours labour to fit. total Bill - $510 :headbang:
I guess as no one else has had this happen to them - But on the brightside, if someone else does they have this post to read :thumbsup:

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:57 am

I've read of this happened before and seen it posted, but looks like you have the solution. New parts and suspension strut off to fix it.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Hotride, on the bright side the new strut brace looks awesome...Hope you get it sorted. Thanks for posting the pics, sorry for the trouble. 8)

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks mate. I have managed to get it booked in for tomorrow, So I will post some better pics when its all fixed up. and let ya know any difference in the handling...

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:00 am

So I had the strut mount fixed on friday, and got the car back before the weekend.

I have to say this Brace is Great, just what I wanted. Going into medium to fast corners you can really feel the difference. the body roll has been reduced by a huge percentage on turn in, and gives you more confidence, like the car's not so on the limit. :driving:

The car just feels so flat and connected to the road, I have really been enjoying the extra stability it gave me, the car is alot less bouncy and twitchy on bumpy corners too. It could just be in my head, but I doubt it - there is definitely more grip/ tyre contact in the corners now. 8)

This Brace is 1 solid piece of steel, not 3 peices, so I think that might give it a little extra advantage over the BMW OEM option also :poke:

Mangozac

Re: New Strut Brace.... Must have mod!!

Post by Mangozac » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:22 am

I don't know how I missed this one - it just must be from being way too busy of late :x

What a pain about breaking that bolt! I can just imagine the feeling of dread that would wash over after hearing that CRACK! Any idea what caused it? Did you overtighten?

$200 for the whole brace isn't bad! Where did you get it from? I must say though the white colour looks a bit garish and rice burner (I say that knowing you used to drive a Skyline and I drove a much modified Celica). Black or even gunmetal would be better IMO.

What did you do about the bonnet sensor?

I do love your description of the better handling and it makes me think of a particular corner I love to take sideways on the way home from work when I can :driving:

Out of interest have you disclosed this addition to your insurer? If so did it make any difference to the premium?
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:39 am

well I'm pretty sure I broke it due to over-tightening, but I was using a torque wrench... the guy at the suspension shop said the BMW recommendation of 35NM is way more torque then he would ever use on one of these nuts!

I got the brace from here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 024wt_1139 Ultra racing Autosport, it arrived in just over a week. Your right White wasn't my first choice of colour, but they only make white, and I see no reason to repaint something no-one will ever see. Plus it does STAND OUT being white lol. It is growing on me tho...

As for the bonnet sensor - still not sure how I am going to get it back on, as the brace is right in the way of it mounting to the OEM location. I have been discussing with the Seller, and sent him some pics - and he said he will have his tech team look at it. They have been very helpful and responsive to my questions so far. It seems their test car, that they built the brace from didn't have a bonnet sensor so they were not aware of the issue yet.

Lol i know what you mean, I have 2 corners on the way home, that I just pray for no traffic in-front of me. The strut brace kinda makes getting the car sideways easier too - as less body roll, makes the car start to slide once you push it past the limit of the tyres grip, and its not so snappy as usual.

Im with Shannon's - they allow unlimited mods with no effect on your premium! so no insurance issues for me 8)

edit: Some better pics

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:26 am

Just curious, but how are you planning on fitting back the hood switch for the alarm?

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:39 am

BettyBmw03 wrote:Just curious, but how are you planning on fitting back the hood switch for the alarm?
Hotride wrote:As for the bonnet sensor - still not sure how I am going to get it back on, as the brace is right in the way of it mounting to the OEM location. I have been discussing with the Seller, and sent him some pics - and he said he will have his tech team look at it. They have been very helpful and responsive to my questions so far. It seems their test car, that they built the brace from didn't have a bonnet sensor so they were not aware of the issue yet.
I didn't think 35NM was that much. It's pretty crazy that you were even doing it the right way with a torque wrench and still broke it! Certainly would make mecautious!
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:21 am

Hotride wrote:well after all the helpful posts I received on this...
Ah, sorry mate, I did this - although I don't think we are alone! Mine was a torque wrench fail, I think. Glad you got it sorted though. I did think that I posted about my fiasco on here though?

Good looking brace BTW, glad you're enjoying the difference. Worth getting the geo done if you haven't already - just fitting the strut brace will more than likely see the camber change and replacing the top mount definitely will.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Shooter

Post by Shooter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Now i want one ! :headbang:
Image Roadster, Monaco blue. Stubby | ZHP Knob | M3 CSL brake discs | M3 CSL brake calipers | M3 CSL exhaust manifolds | Goodridge SS brake lines | Tuned exhaust silencers

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Me too! I think I'll wait and see if they sort out the bonnet sensor issue first though ;)

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:51 am

PawnSacrifice wrote:
Hotride wrote:well after all the helpful posts I received on this...
Ah, sorry mate, I did this - although I don't think we are alone! Mine was a torque wrench fail, I think. Glad you got it sorted though. I did think that I posted about my fiasco on here though?

Good looking brace BTW, glad you're enjoying the difference. Worth getting the geo done if you haven't already - just fitting the strut brace will more than likely see the camber change and replacing the top mount definitely will.
Well my torque wrench was actually brand new, I got it that day - maybe the wrench was faulty :o or maybe it was just human error. Either way taught me a lesson lol.

Not sure if the suspension shop did the geo or not, shall ask. But it's driving straight like it's well aligned. :?

Zac - still waiting for an answer on that, but my bonnet sensor was broken for about 3-4 months & I never missed it. I like the brace so will keep the brace either way. I'm sure I can fabricate some sort of replacement bracket tho...maybe :!: