Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Amp ignition switch on wire in the boot?!?!?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
nicollow

Amp ignition switch on wire in the boot?!?!?

Post by nicollow » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Im putting a sub in the boot of my Carver equiped 3.0i and am looking for the ignition live switch on cable. Ive searched and found there is a Z4M solution of a thick gauge white wire, but there is no such thing I can find in mine. Does anyone have any info as to where it is in a non M car? I dont really want to plug into the fuse box, but it looks like it might have to, to be on the safe side :cry: ASomething in the boot would be great!

bcworkz

Re: Amp ignition switch on wire in the boot?!?!?

Post by bcworkz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:18 am

There is not a switched power wire from the ignition switch in the boot per se (at least for audio), all switched power comes from the radio, it's really more of a signal than a power lead. The main power arrives at the amp unswitched, if there's enough voltage from the radio, the amp turns itself on, and opposite for off. I don't exactly know your plans, so the existing wires may or may not be adequate for your needs.

Unswitched power to the amp should be a thicker red/yellow wire, pin 5 at the amp connector, one of the fat pins closest to the little pins. (my ability to translate german color abbreviations is highly suspect, verify this info before starting any work) The switched radio wire is a thin yellow/red wire at pin 38 of same connector, on the opposite side from pin 5. The last pin is 42. Good luck!

Source: http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/e8385/

Edit: I should note that the the carver system has no traditional line level input to the amp, it's digital :cry: , so you may need to get creative to get an audio signal to drive you sub.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

Cyscrofer

Re: Amp ignition switch on wire in the boot?!?!?

Post by Cyscrofer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:47 pm

I have just posted a load of details on the audio side of the forum.

OK so you want a switched 12 volt hassle free scource.

The best and safest place is the fuse box back of the glove box, second row of fuses very left hand side, top contact
fit a flat blade and a flying fuse say 5 amps that should be more than adequate to kick over you amp.

Have you sucessfully tapped in to the BMW audi system, without it tripping the whole system out?
My Slick A7 Proc Comp amp put the BM system in to mute.
I ended up running a 5 seocnd timer and relay system to get around the BMW systems checks.
Works a treat.

If your worried about how to get a cable from the front to the rear - heres how...

Fuse box, drop cable out of the back and down the left hand side of the center consol (if you crafty no need to undo any screws or trims, cafeully push the cable behind the trim - the carpet will easily hold it in place.
Follow to the back (you have to move the seats about a bit to get it to the joint in the plastic near the up right plastic moulding.
Remove the plastic holder in the back of the consol, work holer out from the rear to the front end then pop out.
this give you a hole for access use a tig rod or similar to get a way of pulling the cable from outside the consol to the inside, make sure you push the rod on the outside of the carpet trim in the hole.
Attach cable and pull through.
Remove the plastic trim from behind the hinge of the flip down lid this just pops out.
feed cable through in to this area.
OK theres a hole on the right hand side of this area where the cable for the phone clip cable again use a tig rod as a guide wire and carefully poke through this hole about 8"
OK in the boot open and fold carpets out the way, you may have to open a hole by making a small slit in the carpet to allow the roof removal botton to be pushed through.
once the carpet is up you can see the mass of wires and the back of the DVD player.
With your hand fumble about under the DVD player, this is where the tig rod should be found.
Pul through pulling your remote wire.
do with as you wish there after.
Total job takes half an hour to an hour.
The good thing is you now have a fully working wire that isn't going to bu**er up you BM loom, it took me half a day to try all the other option but to no avail, ans this includes the pin 13 /10 on the back of the stereo - it isnt worth it.
For reference this fuse holder is switch directly on / off with the ignition switch - no timers no system shut down just a striaght on / off,

Hope this helps
Cysty