Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Blues

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JetBlackZ

Winter Blues

Post by JetBlackZ » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:39 pm

For all those who live in climates not suited for a Z4 in winter. Chicago has been having an awful snowy and frigid winter. My car has been in storage since October and I am so missing driving it. I have an ML320 for the winter and it is a good car but driving a Z4 is so much more fun. Are there any other people who are in a similar situation and what do you do with your Z4 in the winter. I start my car once a week and dropped some seafoam in the tank. I bought the Bav Auto premium car cover and it is amazing how clean it has kept my car. I also make sure to move it enough to keep the tires from getting flat spots.

inTgr8r

Re: Winter Blues

Post by inTgr8r » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:00 am

Yeah... I hear you.
It's been very similar in Toronto & I don't think we're finished yet.

I don't moth ball the Z but I don't DD it either.
I wait for a sunny day with dry roads & get it out for a blast.
..so far it's only been 3 times this winter :cry:

enfield

Post by enfield » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:26 am

MIne has been sitting in the garage since the middle of November. Have the trickle charger going and the tires are at 40 psi to minimize the flat spots. I will start my car when I plan to drive it.... in another month or so..... :cry:

I have one more winter on the lease - do not see the point of getting a set of winter tires. I am sure I could have driven my Z through the winter except for 3 or 4 days if I had winter tires....
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:05 am

I have winter tires and so far this winter while cold we have not had enough snow to keep me parked for even one day yet... :thumbsup: :driving:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

grdz4roadster

Post by grdz4roadster » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:01 pm

JetBlackZ wrote:For all those who live in climates not suited for a Z4 in winter. Chicago has been having an awful snowy and frigid winter. My car has been in storage since October and I am so missing driving it. I have an ML320 for the winter and it is a good car but driving a Z4 is so much more fun. Are there any other people who are in a similar situation and what do you do with your Z4 in the winter. I start my car once a week and dropped some seafoam in the tank. I bought the Bav Auto premium car cover and it is amazing how clean it has kept my car. I also make sure to move it enough to keep the tires from getting flat spots.

I feel your pain JetBlackZ as I'm experiencing the harsh Chicago winter as you. I purchased my Z4 in mid-December which has made an even longer winter for me. With the couple of days in the 60's in January and the relatively few dry days in the 30's and 40's that we've had, I have been able to drive the Z4 several times. However, once springtime comes, I'll be driving it much more, but not daily as I commute over 100 miles a day. In addition to the weather, the other obstacle we face are the number and size of the potholes. I'm not going to feel comfortable driving the Z until those potholes are repaired.
2006 3.0i Mods so far: Perma Plate, OEM Wind Def. & A/W Mats, Int. Xenons, Aux Input, Stubby Ant. & BMW mobility kit Mods to be done: Silverstar Ultra Lights, Chrome tips & 18" Rims (TBD)

roadster2004

Post by roadster2004 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:12 pm

WLH wrote:I have winter tires and so far this winter while cold we have not had enough snow to keep me parked for even one day yet... :thumbsup: :driving:
+1
I'm actually disappointed we haven't had much snow this winter, but whenever the roads are covered with snow/ice, I switch off the DTC and start having fun. And I don't consider myself an especially good driver, the car is just ridiculously easy to handle. Of course if there's too much snow, the low clearance will be a problem.

epbrown

Post by epbrown » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:35 pm

Part of why I went with a Coupe this time - I never drove my roadster in the winter. Of course, you posted this on the best day we've had in weeks! I drove my roadster yesterday, only the 2nd time since I bought my M Coupe, and while I had my top up (it was still wet), I passed a TiAg Z4 with the top down and the owner smiling his head off. :)
Z4 M Coupe Production, 2006-2008
Coupes, Worldwide: 4,275, North America: 1,815.

ewans

Post by ewans » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:43 pm

we had a dump of snow here in west scotland today, pushed a bit hard through a corner and got the back end out for the first time ever.... loads of fun :)
Toyota Aygo+ for the city miles
Z4 roadster for the B road smiles :)

BrossardZ4

Post by BrossardZ4 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:39 am

this year in montreal it is a never ending winter, 14 march and still cold and so much snow, my car is tucked away on blocks for the winter, with fresh oil in the pan and showroom condition clean. I don't fully extend the car, but most of the weight is on the blocks so no worry for the tires and it eases the pressure on the suspension, i also cover the exhaust with steel wool to keep critters out. waxed and covered as well. anyway normally 1 april shoud be good to go, not this year more like april 15 or 25, anyway very excited to get it out and on the road again, i love my passat, but hey apples and oranges.

BrossardZ4

Post by BrossardZ4 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:40 am

i also put in a fuel stabalizer and run for 10 miles then put away, i change the oil also and don't drive more than 10 miles before putting away.

grdz4roadster

Post by grdz4roadster » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:23 am

More snow in Chicago today...so much for the 1st day of spring!
2006 3.0i Mods so far: Perma Plate, OEM Wind Def. & A/W Mats, Int. Xenons, Aux Input, Stubby Ant. & BMW mobility kit Mods to be done: Silverstar Ultra Lights, Chrome tips & 18" Rims (TBD)

JBZ4

Post by JBZ4 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:30 am

I am due to fly into Detroit on the 26th of this month to pick up a Z4 and hopefully I can turn right around and get on the road before any snow comes in. You guys seem to be getting blasted this year! :driving:

enfield

Post by enfield » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:53 am

The 26th may be okay. It will be cold but so far no snow forecast :D
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

JBZ4

Post by JBZ4 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:06 am

Thats good to know, it comes with the heated seats so that will be one of the first things I turn on. I can handle the cold, just not having to stay over because of snow and sleet.

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:31 am

:whistle:

Move South!
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M