Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thoughts on the SMG?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
no fit state

Thoughts on the SMG?

Post by no fit state » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:35 pm

Anybody here got it?

What's it like?

Thanks.
Z4MC Imola red

Wondermike

Re: Thoughts on the SMG?

Post by Wondermike » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:09 pm

It was marketed in the UK as SSG (sequential sports gearbox).

It's based on the same SMG I as the E36 M3, so it's pretty old technology now, superseded by three later systems systems (SMG II, SMG III and M-DCT dual clutch transmission).

I'd give it a miss personally.

no fit state

Post by no fit state » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:08 pm

Wondermike wrote:It was marketed in the UK as SSG (sequential sports gearbox).

It's based on the same SMG I as the E36 M3, so it's pretty old technology now, superseded by three later systems systems (SMG II, SMG III and M-DCT dual clutch transmission).

I'd give it a miss personally.
Why give it miss, does it not work well?

The option to change gears normally is still there? Or does having this option cause problems with changing gears normally?

Is there still a clutch pedal?
Z4MC Imola red

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:53 pm

It's an automated manual transmission, so there is no clutch. There are paddles so you can change gear when you want. There are SSG owners on here so I'm sure you'll get some positive feedback too, but for me it's old technology. I'd rather have a decent auto transmission.

Don't forget, when the Z4 was facelifted BMW dropped it completely so it couldn't have been that good.
To be offered in both models as of April '03 production, the Z4's SMG differs from the M3 unit in several respects:

In its Automated shift mode, labeled D , it offers a single shift mode vs. M3's five.
In its Manual mode, there are two shift programs vs. M3's six.
In contrast to the M3's program selector, a Dynamic Drive Control button on the console selects the Sport mode for manual shifting.
The Neutral position is labeled N instead of 0 3.
Thus the Z4 SMG is engineered for performance, convenience and (above all) driving pleasure in the context of these high-performance "regular" BMWs, as contrasted to the super-performance M3s with their exotic BMW M 333-hp engine.

Yet the fundamental concept is the same: electrohydraulic shifting applied to a 6-speed manual transmission and offering the driver a choice of automated or manual shifting. In D, shifts are programmed for "normal" driving, with the accent on a relaxed, unaggressive style - though the SMG automatically adapts its shift points to brisk driving. "We worked long and hard," says drivetrain engineer René Chlumsky, "to develop the appropriate characteristics for a sport roadster."
In M, basic operation is as with the M3 SMG: The driver shifts gears at will, either by tipping the shift lever or actuating shift "paddles" on the steering wheel. As in D, electronic controls and electrohydraulic action let off the accelerator, declutch, change gears, re-engage the clutch and "step on the gas" - all in a perfectly orchestrated sequence tailored to how gently or hard the driver is driving at the moment.

Al Blue4.6l

Post by Al Blue4.6l » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:49 pm

i test drove a car with it: i personally wouldnt consider it. for me it seemed like it had all the negatives of an auto along with all of the negatives of a manual with few of the positives of either.

no fit state

Post by no fit state » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:32 pm

Ok.

Just to clarify, you can change gear with the stick just like a normal manual still? Or does it not respond in the same way?
Z4MC Imola red

no fit state

Post by no fit state » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Al Blue4.6l wrote:i test drove a car with it: i personally wouldnt consider it. for me it seemed like it had all the negatives of an auto along with all of the negatives of a manual with few of the positives of either.

What would you consider to be all the negatives of an Auto and Manual?
Z4MC Imola red

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:43 pm

no fit state wrote:Ok.

Just to clarify, you can change gear with the stick just like a normal manual still? Or does it not respond in the same way?
This is a pic of the gearshift, it's like an auto box, you put it in "D" then either use the paddles or move the stick backwards and forwards to change gear.

no fit state

Post by no fit state » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:56 pm

Wondermike wrote:
no fit state wrote:Ok.

This is a pic of the gearshift, it's like an auto box, you put it in "D" then either use the paddles or move the stick backwards and forwards to change gear.

I see, thanks :)

no fit state

Post by no fit state » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:46 am

Anybody who actually has this gearbox with their thoughts?
Z4MC Imola red

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:07 pm

I had ordered it on my first Z4, and cancelled that option when I test drove the car. I found it very inconvenient and irritating at roundabouts as it always was in the wrong gear for me, and changing it before / during the roundabout just made it very jerky.

Best 1200 gbp I saved on that option :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

GP20

Post by GP20 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:40 pm

I had an '04 3.0i SMG for a bit more than a year. I bought that car to replace my previous 2.5i with steptronic so I've had experiences with both. If you're choosing between the SMG and the steptronic, AND you want to drive the Z4 like a sports car, it's a no brainer. Go with the SMG. It's 10 times more fun to drive than the steptronic. With the SMG, you get much more control of the car and a sense of driving the car instead of the car driving you. The computer actually shifts pretty quickly in sport mode, whereas there's always a delay when the steptronic changes a gear - some people don't mind this delay, but I find it unacceptable in a sports car.

I wouldn't worry about magazines or others talking about the jerkyness during shifting and taking off from a stop. Ask anyone that has owned the Z4's SMG, that issue goes away after 1 week when you're used to the transmission. The trick is to lift your gas pedal for a brief moment when you upshift - just like you would if you were to drive a true manual transmission. When you downshift, the computer automatically does the engine rev-match for you.

But if you're choosing between the SMG and a manual tranmission, get the manual transmission. :D
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:30 pm

As stated the 'SMG' in the Z4 is the 'SMG' system badged 'SSG' in the E46 330 Clubsport. I have driven that, and personally found it bloody awful. REALLY bad. When its trying to be a manual its jerky and vague - to get it even close to smooth you have to ease off the throttle in the most unnatural way. The paddles feel flimsy and to me are set up wrong (push forward for down or pull back for up.) When its trying to be an auto, its even worse, with notchy changes and lousy kick down response. Jump into a steptronic after that and its another world; silky smooth as an auto and, dare I say it, more fun in steptronic mode. IMO if you want a compromise, buy the steptronic - it does a better job. If you want a manual, get the manual...

Having said this, SMG II in the E46 M3 is a massive improvement. After driving the 330 SSG I wanted to dump it by the side of the road and set fire to it; after driving an E46 M3 SMG for the same period, I bought it. Much, much better, with paddles that work the right way (though this is a matter of opinion - pull back left paddle for a downshift, pull back right for an upshift), fantastic manual mode an an auto mode that, at the slowest change setting, just about passes as a smooth drive. Still not a perfect compromise between auto and manual, but if they had offered it in the Z4, I would recommend it.

I suspect SMG III and M-DCT are even bigger leaps forward to close that gap, but not tried either yet.
Last edited by mikedav on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:49 pm

I created my own version that now having put a few hundred miles on it consider it to be the perfect compromise. Steptronic, sport button and paddle shift.

In full auto mode it's a dream of an auto box with either a 'lazy' steady mode or more racy 'sport' mode

Push the lever into manual and I have the 2 alternatives again, but the ability to change on either the lever or the paddles.

Why do do like it so much:
Motorway - stick it in drive and forget it for 100 miles
Traffic stick it in drive and crawl along with no clutch to mess with, no juddering SMG, etc. and we get a lot of that traffic in Birmingham
A to B quickly - sport mode and it goes like the clappers laying down traction smoothly and effectively with quicker but not jerky changes.
Roof off fun twisty road - sport and paddle shift for total control of gears and juddesless instant changes, engine braking and very close to the effects of a manual

Some will disagree - that's what boards are about.
Of course if you want a manual then nothing will ever substitute for it.
If you love autos then nothng betters them
SMG's on the Z4 - a jerky compromise that was dicontinued early in the models life. :thumbsdown:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm

mikedav wrote:...After driving the 330 SSG I wanted to dump it by the side of the road and set fire to it...
You really liked it then :lol:
cj10jeeper wrote:...If you love autos then nothng betters them

SMG's on the Z4 - a jerky compromise that was dicontinued early in the models life. :thumbsdown:
:withstupid: