Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pressed Plates

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Nova2k7

Pressed Plates

Post by Nova2k7 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:46 pm

OK so ive been and got some pressed plates, now they look fine but ive noticed that there is no suppliers name or address underneath. they are just blank with my reg number. is this a big thing where i am likely to be pulled over every ten minutes?

Greeno

Re: Pressed Plates

Post by Greeno » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Depends how obviously non standard they are and how eagle eyed the plod are.

There is a full standard on plates. even if the font is ok, the yellow/white back ground has to meet a certain standard for reflectivity - this is probably where you'll fail.

Plenty of people run with non standard font or no front plate. think they might be cracking down though.
"Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools"

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 pm

Nova2k7 wrote:OK so ive been and got some pressed plates, now they look fine but ive noticed that there is no suppliers name or address underneath. they are just blank with my reg number. is this a big thing where i am likely to be pulled over every ten minutes?
There is no requirement for the suppliers name or address to be listed on the plate. Provided the plate has been made to Bristish Standards your fine.
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:25 pm

Provided that the spacing and text size/format, reflection etc is ok, IMO you're unlikely to be pulled over
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:31 pm

BSAU 145D
The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics on the number plate. This includes:

Visibility
Strength
Reflectivity

The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: -

The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d)
The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.)
The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean a company whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.)
A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are optional additions.
There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

Further information about the British Standards requirements can be obtained at www.bsi-global.com.

But when all said and done I have just had my MOT carried out and plates carry no BS number or any other info but the spacing, font etc is all legal and not a word was said. Guess it just depends on how eagle eyed the plod are.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

Greeno

Post by Greeno » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:44 pm

RichardG, i think the need for info about the suppliers post code and name etc is fairly recent and wouldn't apply retrospectively to an 04 plate.
"Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools"

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Greeno wrote:RichardG, i think the need for info about the suppliers post code and name etc is fairly recent and wouldn't apply retrospectively to an 04 plate.
Sorry I should have made it a bit clearer my plates are brand new, I replaced them after fitting my new bumpers, but I take your point about it being hard to inforce retrospectively, i have just quoted the current regs with regards to legality.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

KERMIT1970

Post by KERMIT1970 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Had them on my z3 upto a year or so ago .Never pulled over,plates have correct Font & Spacing.Plates could have been made a few years ago & therefore don`t need postcode. :thumbsup:
Cars: 2016 M4 vert YMB & X3m Comp. E30 325i Sport. Z3M

Gone
: 2014 z4 35is melbourne red & black leather
: 335d M sport Coupe Black with red leather
: z4 Coupe 3.0 si Red with Black Leather 18" CSL`s
: z3 2.2 sport

Nova2k7

Post by Nova2k7 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:05 pm

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:10 pm

I reckon you'll be ok with those
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Adamski wrote:I reckon you'll be ok with those
+1 what Adamski said
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:33 pm

Greeno wrote:RichardG, i think the need for info about the suppliers post code and name etc is fairly recent and wouldn't apply retrospectively to an 04 plate.
It will also apply to any replacement plate fitted to the car after the regulations came into effect. You may get away with an obviously old plate on an old car (pre September 2001) but not new plates on an old car.

I don't even think pressed plates are legal since 2001 given that the regulations preclude 'any design, pattern or texture' or even the appearance of same.

Just been party to a long thread on a Jag forum where an owner has been ticketed for having 3D effect font on an otherwise 100% legal plate. Had to have new plates, MOT centre verification then off to the police with proof and pay his fine :(

As with all things like this you may drive for years and not be stopped or be pulled tomorrow. Personally I'd bin them and be legal and avoid the opportunity to be pulled.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills