Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alpina question

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
dave_alp

Alpina question

Post by dave_alp » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:10 pm

I really must get round to joining the alpina register... but in the meantime I have a question.

I know Alpina's have two VINs - but in my case, the VIN on the MOT and the VIN on the HPI check do not match. Is this normal or do I need to be having a stern word with my local BMW dealer in South West London who supplied the vehicle?!

In any case it will be going back because the alignment is way out and it has developed a lovely whining noise when steering lock to lock e.g. parking - brakes on or off...

TIA

Dave.
DRIVING DAILY: F20 120d Sport, many toys
AND AT THE WEEKEND: 2006 Alpina Roadster S (because petrol is best)
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 125i SE, jet black, 142s, cruise. No other fancy toys, except the straight six under the hood!!

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Alpina question

Post by markeg » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:14 pm

The VIN on the MOT should match the VIN on the V5 document. If they don't, then DVLA can issue a replacement (last year my MOT had the wrong code on it and was reissued).

BTW - RAC inspections have been known to recommend against purchasing an Alpina because of the 2 VINs :roll:
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Alpina question

Post by Stuart Truman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:21 pm

The DVLA frequently screw it up. There's the BMW VIN on the windscreen and the one on the suspension turret under the bonnet.

BMW frequently have trouble finding info on my car unless I give them both numbers. The warranty for mine is under the original VIN and not the Alpina one, but when I registered it for warranty they knew it was an Alpina.

When I HPI'd mine I think I did it by registration number and the Alpina VIN

It's the one real embuggerance about owning one of these otherwise wonderful cars

My cars steering occasionally groans if you turn it from lock to lock, but I'm waiting for it to be booked in for a new steering column to fix the dreaded sticky steering syndrome so I'm hoping this will get fixed at the same time

Tapatalking...
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

dave_alp

Post by dave_alp » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:21 pm

markeg wrote:The VIN on the MOT should match the VIN on the V5 document. If they don't, then DVLA can issue a replacement (last year my MOT had the wrong code on it and was reissued).

BTW - RAC inspections have been known to recommend against purchasing an Alpina because of the 2 VINs :roll:
Thanks mate - quick answer! In that case I'll wait for the V5C to come through in my name and double check back against that.
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 125i SE, jet black, 142s, cruise. No other fancy toys, except the straight six under the hood!!

dave_alp

Post by dave_alp » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Stuart Truman wrote:
It's the one real embuggerance about owning one of these otherwise wonderful cars

My cars steering occasionally groans if you turn it from lock to lock, but I'm waiting for it to be booked in for a new steering column to fix the dreaded sticky steering syndrome so I'm hoping this will get fixed at the same time

Tapatalking...
Thanks Stuart - yes they are pretty wonderful!

I'm hoping that any steering issues will be covered under BMW AUC warranty, I've read either on here or on Alpina Register a bit of a mission with Carrs in East Anglia but at least it sets a precedent for the rest of us :driving:

micz4

Post by micz4 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:01 pm

Embuggerance is an excellent word and i would like to steal it for my own use.
2010 2.3i ,Sapphire Black,Kansas Red Leather,2 years of joy,replaced by Porsche Boxster 2.7

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Alpina question

Post by Stuart Truman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:27 pm

micz4 wrote:Embuggerance is an excellent word and i would like to steal it for my own use.
Help yourself!

Tapatalking...
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon

dave_alp

Post by dave_alp » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Update on the crappy steering issue - should have known better. Have been to check tyre pressures, front offside was down at 12psi - way to go BMW, who not only should have checked but also fitted four new tyres before delivery?!?!

Suffice to say it steers true and good now, much less slop in it and in a straight line with the wheel straight. Still groans when dry steering, though!

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Alpina question

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:14 pm

I had a bit of a tank slapper on a hoon that put the wind up me and scared my passenger sh1tless. Same thing as you, one tyre well down, the other three inconsistent. Sorted and now drives well. My own dumb fault for not doing pre flight checks

dave_alp

Post by dave_alp » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:56 pm

So... the V5 has come through :)

BUT the VIN on the MOT and the VIN on the V5 do not match.

Have you guys seen / heard this before? Which VIN is the right one for these documents and how should I get the erroneous document changed? :evil:

Thanks in advance

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Alpina question

Post by markeg » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:57 pm

V5 vin is the correct one - at least it should be. The last 3 numbers of the vin match the release number of the car - mine in #108 and the last 3 of my vin match that. If they don't match then the v5 is your BMW original vin, and you should get the v5 changed by DVLA.

Once you have the right v5 vin, DVLA will change your V5 for you - again, give them a ring. And next MOT point out the correct vin to the testing station!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."