Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bad_Pritt's Black Pearl II - Z4QP 3.0si

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Bad_Pritt

Re: Bad_Pritt's Black Pearl

Post by Bad_Pritt » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:36 pm

lol, if I ever buy a Z3, it will be the M-coupe :-)

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:16 am

So, just got me a Garmin 7 inch satnav... waaaaaay too big for the Zed! But I also have an OEM flipscreen to be built into the dashboard. The screen has already been removed and I just ordered an additional cigar lighter socket. Plan is to integrate the Garmin into the OEM flipscreen holder and run all the cables inside the dashboard. So this way I ghave Garmin for my roadtrips but still a clean OEM look. Now I just need a pair of balls to cut the dashboard open to fit the flipscreen...

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:00 am

Bad_Pritt wrote:So, just got me a Garmin 7 inch satnav... waaaaaay too big for the Zed! But I also have an OEM flipscreen to be built into the dashboard. The screen has already been removed and I just ordered an additional cigar lighter socket. Plan is to integrate the Garmin into the OEM flipscreen holder and run all the cables inside the dashboard. So this way I ghave Garmin for my roadtrips but still a clean OEM look. Now I just need a pair of balls to cut the dashboard open to fit the flipscreen...

Measure twice, cut once.
If you've got the Balls. :D

I think I'd measure twice and twice again before cutting. Good luck :thumbsup:

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:53 am

I know someone on here has a cutting stencil, but can't find it right away. Getting the screen to fit in the housing is my first concern :-)

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:56 am

PM PVR or srhutch... And good luck :cry: :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:07 am

Bad_Pritt wrote:I know someone on here has a cutting stencil, but can't find it right away. Getting the screen to fit in the housing is my first concern :-)

Always god to have a plan B in place :P :thumbsup: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bmw-z4-2001-0 ... 3aa4779b11
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Bad_Pritt wrote:I know someone on here has a cutting stencil, but can't find it right away. Getting the screen to fit in the housing is my first concern :-)
I've got a pdf of the template and still have the Heineken template I used back in 2008.

PM me your email and I'll send the pdf through.

Jimminy

Post by Jimminy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:57 pm

Lovely looking car, just wondering about a couple of things. What's a boomerang? Have you got pics of a larger number plate on the front left or right?

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:27 pm

"Boomerangs" is what we call the front indicators in the headlights.
I don't think I have any pics with a larger number plate as I never put it up, except for MOT...

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:33 pm

srhutch wrote:
I've got a pdf of the template and still have the Heineken template I used back in 2008.

PM me your email and I'll send the pdf through.
Great thanks! PM'd you

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:17 am

Soooo... update on the satnav project: the gps doesn't fit the OEM flipscreen :headbang:
I've been looking around for other options as the 7 inch screen and cables is just fugly!

So I came up with this, a part actually coming from the 1-series (part number 65902210773):

I've ordered the part and will compare to the Z4 flipscreen size and shape. If it's (roughly) the same, I'm just going for it!
It will fit a 7inch tablet as well, so I can add that in as well if I want to.

Other mods still waiting to be done: headlight lens restore, black boomerangs, new double led angel eyes, mid muffler remove for higher exhaust note, GPS traker... I just lack the time to get to it!
Last edited by Bad_Pritt on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:49 am

Interesting... Looking forward to seeing this (hopefully) fitted.
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:46 pm

well... I did it :-) :D :D

Though I'm quite pleased with the result, it wasn't an easy job. At the front it's not as flush as it should be but at the sides and the back it's a perfect fit. I'll have to take it apart again when I have more time to get the front a little better or find a way to fill the small gap. But still... quite happy :D

There was a cable that came with the part, for a 1-series. You could probably adapt it to connect it to the radio for extra features or maybe even to use the car's speakers. But I didn't bother. I just soldered an extra 12V socket to the existing cigarette lighter and installed the socket in the glove compartment. I then use the standard 12V car cable to keep the Garmin connected.

Last edited by Bad_Pritt on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:48 pm

Excuse the dirty dash, cleaning will be done tomorrow :oops:

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:58 pm

Nicely done, but why is it angled towards the driver? Makes sense, but doesn't look as good as if it sat straight.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.