Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Facelift headlight install on pre-facelift z4 - working

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Facelift headlight install on pre-facelift z4 - working

Post by mac27040 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:48 pm

As you may or may not know i installed the facelift xenons to my 2003 z4. The only issue i had was the flash to pass.

The difference between the pre-facelift & facelift lights are:

Pre-facelight:
Orange indicator hockey sticks
inner lamp acts as high beam
Outer lamp (halogen or xenon) low beam
side light bulb - which you can replace with LED version

Facelift headlight:
Clear hockey sticks
No inner lamp
Outer lamp (halogen or xenon) low beam & high beam
Angel eye (just one working around the inner fake lamp)

The only way to resolve the pass to flash until now would be to replace the LCM, so the temporary fix i did was to wire in the high beam to the xenon shutter. This ment i had to always have my lights on to get flash to work.

Solution:

Have spoken with RichardP (intravee) he coded the intravee to now function flash to switch on xenons and open shutter thus works correctly. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Below is the link for the firmware which has the feature implemented correctly, with an option to turn the Flash To Pass option on or off. Under Extras, Control, Light Control, "Dip with FTP".
http://www.muga-uk.co.uk/ivfw256exp_ext ... 2-7029.zip

Just make it clear that this build is relatively untested, but if anyone has any problems with it to let me know.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Dreamer

Re: Facelift headlight install on pre-facelift z4 - working

Post by Dreamer » Wed May 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Well done :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Another breakthough for the deginger'ing folks!!
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:52 pm

yep means you can easily upgrade your old headlights to the facelift using intravee :thumbsup:
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

GreyZed

Post by GreyZed » Wed May 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Outer lamp on pre-facelift Xenon cars does low and high beam. The shutter opens fully when you thrust your stalk forwards. The inner halogen operates when you pull on your stalk whilst flashing. Presumably this is to prevent your Xenons from firing up multiple times on a short duration if you flash without headlights on to protect your ballast from premature death.
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Yes but on facelift they used the xenon for flash, this causing a problem when upgrading.

dlp

Post by dlp » Thu May 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Can you buy facelift halogen or are all facelift+ xenon?....any ideas on the price?
3.0i, Manual Silver, MV2s, Gap-Tech+, Illuminated ZHP, CDV delete.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:59 am

Yes you can get facelift halogens, they don't come up much on eBay
Expect to pay £150 - £250 per headlight

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Fri May 24, 2013 10:53 am

Also halogens from pre to post facelift should be a straight swap.

If you want real rare headlights...

In 2005 they did have PRE facelifts with clears too !!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:18 am

How about pre facelift halogen to xenon? Straight swap? Or will I need to tinker? I don't have a nav screen in car so that puts me out of commission if I do really!
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:46 pm

halogen to xenon can be done but you need to fit headlight washers and level sensor to pass the MOT standards. Best bet is to upgrade to facelift halogens then fit HID xenon kit. this would be then plug and play.

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:48 pm

I have both washers and levellers on my headlights, so it should just plug and play, right?
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Fri May 24, 2013 12:51 pm

RJS-Z4 wrote:I have both washers and levellers on my headlights, so it should just plug and play, right?
Xenon have a suspension mounted sensor for the auto levelers which xenons have.

As you have a dial in your car... without the sensor the xenons will probably always point to the floor!

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:06 pm

Not sure if the auto level relates to if additional weight is but in the boot the headlights adjust, you still have to manually adjust them to correct alignment

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Nice work getting it coded in. If you're keeping xenon dipped on all the time then flash is fine, but if it fires the xenon each time it might cause issues for the ballast. Spec is on/off every 15 mins. Nothing to worry, but be aware.

Separately those talking about halogen to xenon, a correct conversion requires lights, self levellers. Reprogrammed of or new LCM and washers.
The cycling if halogens is not self levelling and fools many.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:26 pm

LCM is what exactly cj?

Right, as it stands my car has washers as standard and and the headlights do adjust when I turn the car on, you're saying this isn't enough? As the movement is just cycling on the halogens, not aligning like the xenons would?

So I still need to get some sort of levelling thingie m'bob also? :oops:
Last edited by RJS-Z4 on Fri May 24, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.