Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 roof only closing half way - (NOT THE PUMP!)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
fixit man

Re: Z4 roof only closing half way - (NOT THE PUMP!)

Post by fixit man » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:57 pm

well done, can't help with getting the cover off..not even sure which switch you're talking about,Is it at the front over the windscreen ?

pls. If you get a chance take a photo, I'd be very interested to know that switch location.

About feeling vindicated ..I don't think anyone doubted your feeling that it wasn't the motor..I didn't anyway ! :)

funandfree

Post by funandfree » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:04 pm

Yep, it appeared to be the cables leading to the two sensors above the windscreen. If I get the cover off I'll post some photos, but I'm not going to force it, and whilst it works I'm not going to fiddle too much.
I guess the vindication was against the BMW garage that read the fault codes. To their credit they read the codes for free, but then tried to say it was more than likely the hydraulic pump and would cost around £1300 to fix! Once again my faith in garages is seriously knocked!
Thanks again for all the support, everything helps :thumbsup:

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:22 pm

yeah F%&ing Stealers , they'll say anything to get some money out of us
:thumbsup: :driving:

funandfree

Post by funandfree » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Found it, courtesy of srhutch and a little searching. I found this online version of TIS that works fine with google translate :)
http://tis.bmwcats.com/doc1080897/
I found the extra 2 screws hiding at the sides of the roof only after I lowered it about 2/3rds and hey presto I could take the trim off. I checked the sensors and they seemed fine, however it appears the cable is giving me jip. So nearly there, think I need to splice in a new section but no time now, will finish the job next week.
Thanks for your advice and happy cruising :driving: :D

funandfree

Post by funandfree » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:32 pm

I'm not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but wanted to let you know that I finally got a bit more time and cut open the wiring loom in the roof around where it heads under the plastic. I found all three sensor wires were kinked, one of which was broken completely. Looks like bad manufacture of the loom. I've cut out bad bits and soldered in a new section. So pleased I worked out the problem and managed to fix it. Would never have been possible without all your help. Thanks guys. (If anyone knows how to put a few pictures on this thread let me know how and I'll gladly do so.) :driving: :D

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Well done !! There's great satisfaction in getting to the root of the cause ! :driving: :thumbsup:

Not too good at the picture loading myself..but I know you have to use http://www.photobucket.com, did it once, but I've forgotten the procedure

Edit:- just found the procedure..http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30

timmy3k

Post by timmy3k » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Resurrecting a very old thread but just wanted to say a big thank you to funandfree!

I had my motor put in the boot by Bowser (did a great job) and not long after had the same issues as funandfree. The roof has been in manual mode for months now and I had done all the poking around I knew how to. Decided to take another look on the off chance today and found the wiring loom from the latch motor and hall sensor heading down the side of the roof. Took it apart and one of the wires was completely split. 3 new connections on the 3 wires (to be safe) and hey presto, it works!

Now to treat myself to a gap tech I think.

Thanks again!!
Attachments
IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0974.JPG (223.44 KiB) Viewed 2845 times

lambo911

Post by lambo911 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:43 pm

I just wanted to say that this thread was really useful and helped me fix my similar problem.

After changing the pump the roof would open and lock ok but would only close as far as the roll over hoops. I could get it to close fully by putting 12v to the pump so I knew the pump and roof were fine. Manually locking the roof with the allen key still resulted in a flashing red light by the roof switch.

I checked the wiring and removing the top latch cover I found a kink and break in the loom where it comes up the side of the roof to the top rail. It had been squashed by the roof mechanism somehow. It was fiddly but I soldered in a short length of wire, taped it up and made routed it clear of the mechanism.

Fixed !

Thanks to the poster, funandfree !

verfum

Post by verfum » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:19 pm

I had same problem. Thanks everyone for your input on this thread. I fixed it with your help.
Key things I found were the diagram linked by funandfree for how to take off the internal roof cover, to get to the wiring loom.
http://tis.bmwcats.com/doc1080897/
The two side screws can be accessed when the roof is slightly open, or almost fully open. Just open/close roof till you can see them.

The wiring loom has two connectors. Disconnect and detatch from the two clips under the roof. I cut the loom cover from the connector end toward where the loom disappears behind the window, using side snips. At first I thought I was wasting my time as the cable was OK, but then at the place where it would have gone through the clip and before it goes behind the window it was kinked and severed.

Once some new wire was spliced, the roof worked fine.
Thanks everyone for your knowledge in this post.
I made a brief video showing my damaged wiring loom.
https://youtu.be/p0BmK21ZuN0
Last edited by verfum on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:42 am

Nice vid, thanks for posting. I think this will be an increasingly common problem on the E85 as they age. BMW should have used silicone wire there. #roof #wiring
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Lez4mg

Post by Lez4mg » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:39 pm

Had this problem today with my 2003 z4 e85 thanks to the previous contributors I was able to quickly find the broken cable solder it back together along with another cable that looked a little suspect. I did put some shrink sleeving over the joints to protect them in the future so now it should last another 16 years.
Just one point I would make is that the two hidden screws holding the front cover on are only visible when the roof is in the 2 thirds closed position this allows the side mechanism to move out of the way. I had to enlist the help of my wife to stop it closing under its own weight.
Once again thanks for all the useful information. :D

Wi11Greg

Post by Wi11Greg » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:48 pm

You know how it feels when you find the perfect post that matches exactly your Z4 symptoms? Well this one is a dead ringer for mine. I’ve been fighting this roof thing for awhile now. I had been browsing this forum without registering. It didn’t show that some of you got yours to work until I got logged in. So glad I did. I’m going to check this out tonight. The video was good to see. I’m glad you posted that. I’ll let you know if my break is in the same spot. Thanks again.

Wi11Greg

Post by Wi11Greg » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:26 am

Well no such luck. Very frustrated at this point. I started into removing the roof. As I removed the screws behind the drivers side and lifted up slightly I saw some pinched wires. I thought, “Could this be the miracle I’ve been hoping for?” I pulled back the braided covering to find two wires that had bare spots on them. They weren’t broken, but exposed. So I cut and spiced and soldered and shrink wrapped it. I was hoping that was it. I put it all back together and now I get nothing. I push buttons for up and down and nothing. So, I unhooked the battery and called it a night. I have no idea if some code has to clear or not. I am not sure if detaching the battery even does anything. I know it doesn’t if you detach and wait 3 minutes. So I will give it all night and go try in the morning. I’m doubtful it will clear codes. Not even sure if codes need to be cleared. I think if everything is working and all wires are talking to all their parts and not disconnected, the system should just work. If that’s incorrect, could someone please tell me?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:52 am

Wi11Greg wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:26 am Well no such luck. Very frustrated at this point. I started into removing the roof. As I removed the screws behind the drivers side and lifted up slightly I saw some pinched wires. I thought, “Could this be the miracle I’ve been hoping for?” I pulled back the braided covering to find two wires that had bare spots on them. They weren’t broken, but exposed. So I cut and spiced and soldered and shrink wrapped it. I was hoping that was it. I put it all back together and now I get nothing. I push buttons for up and down and nothing. So, I unhooked the battery and called it a night. I have no idea if some code has to clear or not. I am not sure if detaching the battery even does anything. I know it doesn’t if you detach and wait 3 minutes. So I will give it all night and go try in the morning. I’m doubtful it will clear codes. Not even sure if codes need to be cleared. I think if everything is working and all wires are talking to all their parts and not disconnected, the system should just work. If that’s incorrect, could someone please tell me?
With bare wires touching, I’d be checking the fuses.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Wi11Greg

Post by Wi11Greg » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:29 am

Rob, thanks for your response. Those wires were probably about to cause problems, but luckily I noticed them before they were problematic. Today was a big success. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I woke up in the middle of the night and remembered that everything stopped working after I pulled on the wire inside the roof above the drivers side window. Back when the roof was stopping about a 1/3 of the way up, The roof started to move after loving that loomed set of wires then stopped completely. So I went back and investigated further. I checked the wire near the clip because that’s where one of the forum members showed it in his video. My problem was further back from the clip. I cut the loom and about 3” before the wires dropped down into the frame, a broken wire revealed itself. Two other wires looked a bit kinked like they’d be breaking soon. I was so excited. For anyone reading. Make sure when you solder or put these wires together. Remember that solder will cause the wires to be much stiffer so they won’t flex as well. Just take care in how you mend them. I recommend being light on solder and maybe double up on the heat shrink. The goal is to keep the wires in tact. They will be in an environment where they can be pinched again obviously. Anyway, I was so excited that the roof is now working perfectly. I’d put in a lot of time before I found the break. I was beginning to think I wouldn’t find it. Yeah!!! Good day! Oh I wanted to mention that there is no reset required. Once all the wires are connected and sensors/limit sensors are working, the roof just works. I wasn’t sure about that while I went through this process.