Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Key out of Battery

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
benben

Key out of Battery

Post by benben » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:05 am

So the E85 key has suddenly stopped working, assuming it has run out of battery. The second key looks like it has never been used but still does not work so I am assuming that one is also out of battery somehow.

I realise you can charge the key by taking the car for a long drive, but i don't really want to spend $100 on petrol and drive around all day. Is there another way?

I have also considered opening the key and replacing the battery/enegizer. Does anyone know what sort of battery needs to go in?
03 2.5i E85

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Key out of Battery

Post by ben g » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:30 am

It's a panasonic vl2020 that you need. I replaced mine last week. Cost £4.50
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Spikey

Post by Spikey » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:11 am

Try this first it may just have lost its settings ( esp if the other key is same)

http://youtu.be/3YcFN3Ns0yI

benben

Post by benben » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:28 am

ah thanks ben g, Ill order it on ebay and sort it out if nothing else works.

Spikey Ill try that with both keys but I doubt it will work.
I have even hear ideas like, " if you put it in one of those wireless chargers like the ones for toothbrush, it will get charged up " :o
03 2.5i E85

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:51 am

benben wrote:I have even hear ideas like, " if you put it in one of those wireless chargers like the ones for toothbrush, it will get charged up " :o
My keys have stopped working twice - the first time I charged them up again by resting them on a toothbrush charger; the second time I had to reprogramme them using the method in Spikey's link.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

benben

Post by benben » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:47 am

WOW so it actually works? how long would you leave em in the toothbrush chargers?
03 2.5i E85

tertius

Post by tertius » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:40 pm

benben wrote:WOW so it actually works? how long would you leave em in the toothbrush chargers?
It *can* work as they both operate by inductive charging. I would guess a few hours would do it. However, if the battery in your key is knackered then it won't work.

Zmachine

Post by Zmachine » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Could be your module relays seems to be a common fault on BMWs of this era.

On this note is the key fob battery easy to change? Any instruction guide available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

RussellP

Post by RussellP » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:15 pm

benben wrote:So the E85 key has suddenly stopped working, assuming it has run out of battery. The second key looks like it has never been used but still does not work so I am assuming that one is also out of battery somehow.

I realise you can charge the key by taking the car for a long drive, but i don't really want to spend $100 on petrol and drive around all day. Is there another way?

I have also considered opening the key and replacing the battery/enegizer. Does anyone know what sort of battery needs to go in?
I am fairly certain there is no battery in your key, the keys use a capacitance method of charging from the ignition so if you put the key in the ignition and turn until the dashboard lights come and you leave it there for an hour or so it will charge up. Your key is more than likely not working because it has lost it's charge, as with your spare, there is a sequence with the buttons once you have charged it up to get it working again, I will see if I still have the details somewhere...

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:08 pm

benben wrote:WOW so it actually works? how long would you leave em in the toothbrush chargers?
I left it overnight. Careful not to brush your teeth with it in the morning.

Agree with the others that it's more likely to have been "forgotten" by the car though.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 4
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm

RussellP wrote:
benben wrote:So the E85 key has suddenly stopped working, assuming it has run out of battery. The second key looks like it has never been used but still does not work so I am assuming that one is also out of battery somehow.

I am fairly certain there is no battery in your key, the keys use a capacitance method of charging from the ignition so if you put the key in the ignition and turn until the dashboard lights come and you leave it there for an hour or so it will charge up. Your key is more than likely not working because it has lost it's charge, as with your spare, there is a sequence with the buttons once you have charged it up to get it working again, I will see if I still have the details somewhere...
I'm fairly certain you're wrong as I just changed mine :lol: next please.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Well wrong as ben g says..

and here is said battery.

Frankly at this stage I'd not be cutting up the key, just stick it in the ignition, drive the car a bit (not 00's of miles) and if it doesn't work then think about changing batteries.

Key needs splitting and battery soldering in so more than a 5 minute job.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

benben

Post by benben » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:53 am

Thanks guys so here is what happened.
I left the main Key in the wireless toothbrush charger over night with no luck. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that the keys are 10 years old now and it cant hold charge anymore. I'd say the only thing that would work on it now is to change the energizer inside (panasonic vl2020 ).

So what I did is i went and got the second Key which is dead aswell since its been un-used for 10 years and looks brand new. So I put that in the ignition and let the car idle for 2 to 2.5 hours (is this bad for the car?) and the key was all charged up. It still didnt work though, but I did that programming thing where u turn it 5 times and hold the unlock key and press the lock key 3 times and now it works perfectly. Happy days.

This should last another 10 years, if not, new battery it is.

Thanks
03 2.5i E85

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:17 am

what make/model electric tooth brush would I need to charge my keys?

benben

Post by benben » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:45 am

haha I dont think its worth getting a toothbrush charger for your keys.
Best thing is to either recharge it by idling the car or just get the panasonic vl2020 for like 5 dollars and put it in. Plenty of videos on youtube, its not hard to do.
03 2.5i E85