Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How do I change the headlamp direction>

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
bras0782

How do I change the headlamp direction>

Post by bras0782 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:40 pm

Need to change the dipping direction for driving on the other side of the road in Europe. Can't find anything in the manual except how to replace the bulbs and set the auto-headlamps.

Thanks
2004, 53 plate, 3.0 Roadster, Sterling Grey

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How do I change the headlamp direction>

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:38 pm

Didnt know you could,, I just thought you had to get the transfers from somewhere like Halfords to stick on the headlight to stop dazzling other drivers.
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Mattt

Post by Mattt » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:26 pm

AFAIK from other cars, xenons involve a switch, but halogen require the blanking plates.

BlackSapphireZ

Post by BlackSapphireZ » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:13 am

you either need new set of projectors or headlights, OR new shield. but getting new shield would be near impossible. you'd be better off finding the projectors.

should look into EBAY USA for LHD units. plenty of them out there for cheap. PAIR of bi-xenon projectors cost around $150. remember, ones from MAXIMA, E55 and E60(5 series) fit the Z4. Same projectors.

GP20

Post by GP20 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:24 am

Why couldn't you just manually adjust the headlights from the engine bay so your passenger side points lower and the drive side points higher?
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:18 am

What are ya'll talking about willis?
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

bras0782

Post by bras0782 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:18 pm

BlackSapphireZ wrote:you either need new set of projectors or headlights, OR new shield. but getting new shield would be near impossible. you'd be better off finding the projectors.

should look into EBAY USA for LHD units. plenty of them out there for cheap. PAIR of bi-xenon projectors cost around $150. remember, ones from MAXIMA, E55 and E60(5 series) fit the Z4. Same projectors.
That's overkill for a 1 week trip. Most cars will either need ugly headlamp converters like this, or you can change the direction of the lights. I'm hoping for the latter.
GP20 wrote:Why couldn't you just manually adjust the headlights from the engine bay so your passenger side points lower and the drive side points higher?
Aha - can you elaborate on how?

Thanks

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:27 pm

OK - so UK lights and things are different for lights here to anywhere else in the globe.

If you have Xenon open the flap in front of the wheels. Remove ther rear spring cover off the lamp and wiggle the cover out of the way. (lights off obvioulsy else you will hurt real bad witha 20k shock...) By the side of the projector there is a lever. Sliding up or down and it will cut off the elevated left side of the beam, making them legal in Europe. Reassemble ensuring the cover seats well. It's less than 5 mins per side and can be done before oyu leave home as they would still be UK legal but poorly illuminate the left verge.

The halogens I have dismantled have the same lever in the UK but if not, then it's blanking / diffusers / beam deflectors from Halfords/AA. Do not use black tape as the heat build up can easliy melt/scar the plastic lens and guessing the cut offf location would be tricky.

LHS and RHS lights do not point higher or lower - a myth/not correct for the UK. Just look at your current beam pattern on a wall or garage door.

Hope this helps.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

bras0782

Post by bras0782 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:30 pm

Found out how to do it with standard lights - it's on pg86 of the maunal. Thanks to GAZA62 for the tip.

There is a lever in the engine bay which you push in or pull out for the different settings. This must be what GP20 was referring to.

I was looking at copy of the manual I had on my computer - turns out that's the American version and so no reference to the lights :oops:

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:57 pm

as far as I can see this only shows yu how to access the bulbs it doesn't say anything about changing the angle of the beam?
2.5se Roadster - First Z
3.0 si Sport Coupe - now sold :cry:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm

mason storm wrote:as far as I can see this only shows yu how to access the bulbs it doesn't say anything about changing the angle of the beam?
The lever I refer to does not alter the angle of the beam at all. It lowers a blanking plate (well actually raises it as the light source is inverted by the lens but that would confuse...lol) that cuts of part of the beam. Very different to adjusting the headlamps for normal and correct alignment and direction.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

bras0782

Post by bras0782 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:26 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
mason storm wrote:as far as I can see this only shows yu how to access the bulbs it doesn't say anything about changing the angle of the beam?
The lever I refer to does not alter the angle of the beam at all. It lowers a blanking plate (well actually raises it as the light source is inverted by the lens but that would confuse...lol) that cuts of part of the beam. Very different to adjusting the headlamps for normal and correct alignment and direction.
Ok, getting confused now.

Can someone confirm that those levers referred to on pg86 of the manual are all I need to to make my lights legal in Europe. Sounds right to me :?

Thanks

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:41 am

bras0782

I cannot get to my handbook to check what you are referring to, as it's 500 miles away at home.

If you mean the knurled adjusters they are for beam alignment on Z4 headlights (up, down left, right). They will not blank off the beam that points left and up, which in the UK of course illuminates the pavement/hedge and in Europe would dazzle oncoming drivers.

All adjustment for Europe is through the rear access panel as mentioned above.

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:31 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
Interesting, how did you find this out as the manual just says you have to move the lever (if we are talking about the same thing) to gain access to the bulbs? Was it just a case of finding this out by accident?
2.5se Roadster - First Z

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:33 am

cj10jeeper wrote:bras0782

I cannot get to my handbook to check what you are referring to, as it's 500 miles away at home.

If you mean the knurled adjusters they are for beam alignment on Z4 headlights (up, down left, right). They will not blank off the beam that points left and up, which in the UK of course illuminates the pavement/hedge and in Europe would dazzle oncoming drivers.

All adjustment for Europe is through the rear access panel as mentioned above.
I don't think he was refering to any knurled headlight adjusters, I think he is refering to a lever which is used to access the bulbs in the headlights
2.5se Roadster - First Z