Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Jack

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Road Trip

Z4 Jack

Post by Road Trip » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:29 pm

May car has no jack.

I would like to get the car up to remove the wheels etc, just wondered if there is a special jack you need and where to get it?

I could use a trolley jack but not sure where it's safe to jack the car from?

Dave
10 M3 V8
07 M Roadster, Imola Red, Fully Loaded. SOLD
A Road Trip must contain - a visit to another country, an overnight stay, at least 500 miles.
It's not what you drive, it's where you've driven it that counts!

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z4 Jack

Post by GAZA62 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:21 pm

There are four small jacking points like rectangular blocks but you will need a low slung trolley jack something which i need to buy myself.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

easty027

Post by easty027 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:21 pm

GAZA62 wrote:There are four small jacking points like rectangular blocks but you will need a low slung trolley jack something which i need to buy myself.
I looked into this the other day as i am in the process of doing my calipers and hubs, i had a spare jacking point (the bit under the car) and took it into halfords. The options are a small jack (i think it was draper ?) about £15, which the end of the jack fitted into perfectly. I suppose the other choice was a trolley jack which was about £25. I suppose if you know where to position the trolley jack it would be the better option.

hope this helps.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:28 am

Get a trolley jack with a decent lift height on it as you always need a bit more lift than you expect. Race type hydraulic jacks are more expensive but are made to slide under low cars so may be worth it

If you cannot get a standard trolley jack under you can always drive it onto a plank first to get and extra inch of space.

BTW - might sound obvious but get some axle stands at the same time as the car simply must be secured before any wheel is taken off. Relying on jacks alone is way too dangerous.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:36 am

Second that ...

Also the lift height - mine was struggling a bit to get the X5 wheels a decent height of the ground.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Road Trip

Post by Road Trip » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:14 pm

Thanks folks.

I do have a trolley jack and stands but am unsure where specifically to position the jack under the car?
10 M3 V8
07 M Roadster, Imola Red, Fully Loaded. SOLD
A Road Trip must contain - a visit to another country, an overnight stay, at least 500 miles.
It's not what you drive, it's where you've driven it that counts!

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:33 pm

I think there are little notches (at least on my 325 Ci there were).
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.