Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carver/DSP Delete - easier than expected

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
superiormirage

Re: Carver/DSP Delete - easier than expected

Post by superiormirage » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:35 pm

It's close to Halloween, so I am going to resurrect this thread from the dead. :D

Sk93, what crossovers did you use? I'm having trouble finding a three way crossover from a reputable company that falls within the frequency ranges for the speakers.
2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
:D

mrjmt

Post by mrjmt » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:39 pm

superiormirage, I just completed a similar install (stock speakers with aftermarket amp and HU). I struggled to find 3 way passive crossovers, settled for the only ones I could find, the Phonocar ones on ebay from caraudiodirect.

The build quality of them seems good, they're certainly weighty. Sounds fine to me too although I never got to hear the system with the original DSP HU / amp.

superiormirage

Post by superiormirage » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:15 pm

mrjmt wrote:superiormirage, I just completed a similar install (stock speakers with aftermarket amp and HU). I struggled to find 3 way passive crossovers, settled for the only ones I could find, the Phonocar ones on ebay from caraudiodirect.

The build quality of them seems good, they're certainly weighty. Sounds fine to me too although I never got to hear the system with the original DSP HU / amp.
Thanks for the tip Mrjmt, I appreciate it. I will check those out tonight.
2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
:D

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:16 am

tbh.. I can't remember.
I believe I bought two-way crossovers, then added a cap in for the tweeters separately.
:zzzz:

neo

Post by neo » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:50 pm

I'm a new owner to Z4 ownership bought the car 3 days ago and the radio lit up and said all the right numbers but no sound on cd or radio thought it was a dodgy volume button but when i checked the amp in the boot it has burnt out inside looks like its over heated and melted part of the board and hence it was disconnected from the system..

After reading all the posts and what not im pretty peed off that its a massive job to actually get some music in my car, ive read the posts regarding changing the amps and such but to be fair i cant make sense of what you clever guys are talking about,,

im not sure if i might just have to live with no sounds at all forever as £800 for new amp from bmw is not in my budget used ones are still lots of money and the after market idea ive no idea what to do..

The easy job i thought is a nightmare by the face of it..

anyone got an amp for dsp after a upgrade going ??

[email protected]

cheers guys

Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Have just posted a separate topic but interested to know how best to install 6x9s into the OE Carver sub locations behind the seat backs.

Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:07 pm

mrjmt wrote: ....
Other option would be to replace the carver subs with a pair of 6x9 subs, then use a 4-channel amp as described above?
Did you ever get to the bottom of this ? Thinking that's what I would like to do.

CrazySmurf

Post by CrazySmurf » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi,

My amp was destroyed by water, and a new one is about £400 from BMW.

So I was looking to replace the BMW amp with an OEM amplifier and if need be an OEM head unit, but I want it all to cost around the £200 mark otherwise I might as well just buy a new BMW amp which I'm not going to do.

I'm not sure what amp I would need to replace the BMW one, for example, how many channels do I need and power output?

If someone could suggest an amp that isn't out of my budget that will work that will be great, or even an amp/head unit combo that will work with the existing speakers.

Thanks.

Tusk

Post by Tusk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:19 am

Interesting reading - I'm having issues getting my Bluetooth conn cation working via DSL. This is the next step!

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:36 am

Ordered:

Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB head unit.

Alpine PDX-V9 - AMP.

Phonocar 5/343 3-Way Passive Crossover.

Alpine RUX-KNOB.

Got a fascia and some lead to convert the aerial and a harness. Will I need any speaker wire or RCA leads or shall I just drop it off at my local audio place and let them take care of the rest?

Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga » Wed May 04, 2016 3:05 pm

Wow! Looking forward to seeing the results.

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Scaramanga wrote:Wow! Looking forward to seeing the results.
My wallet has been officially emptied.

What was meant to be a <£200 simple change of a head unit only has turned into a £800 job.

I hope I can sell the DSP carver amp and the original head unit for £300. (£200 amp and £100 head unit). But I have no idea what they are really worth. I know new amps are £400 so £200 seems reasonable for a fully working second hand one. The original head unit with all the special programmed DSP settings, etc must be worth more than a normal one. I need to find out what they usually go for, is there even a market for OEM head units? They are so limited.

Also part of the stock system was a 6 cd changer. Which are known to be problematic. I hope they can either remove this so I can sell it for £50 or make it work with the new head unit rather than it just sitting there for show.

Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga » Wed May 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Tell me about it. I spent (read: wasted money) trying to improve the carvers. Now buying some kenwood subs to replace the stock carvers, just like in my E46. Annoyed I didn't trust my own judgement and do this in the first place.

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Scaramanga wrote:Tell me about it. I spent (read: wasted money) trying to improve the carvers. Now buying some kenwood subs to replace the stock carvers, just like in my E46. Annoyed I didn't trust my own judgement and do this in the first place.
You not happy with the carver sound system? :w00t:

I think the DSP carver system is insane. The head unit however is far too old for todays modern world. I want bluetooth, DAB, USB, etc.

In order to upgrade the head unit however you need to change amps, which is ridiculous.

I'm in awe every time I put a CD I think it's the best sound I've heard in a car and my dads merc has a £2000 BOSE system in it

Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga » Wed May 04, 2016 4:01 pm

My carver subs don't seem to make any noise. Installed the kenwoods into my E46 which sound amazing for the money.