Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carver/DSP Delete - easier than expected

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Carver/DSP Delete - easier than expected

Post by jimbo1958 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:31 pm

Great work Ian.....you the Man!!! :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

jasonf14

Post by jasonf14 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:17 pm

Hi im in the process of carrying out this Mod and have been identifying the wires on the DSP amp plug. So far i make them:

RH Driver side:
Front Sub Blue/White +
Blue/Brown -

Door Mid Blue/Red +
Blue/Brown -

Door tweeter Blue/Black +
Blue/Brown -

Rear Mid White/Black +
White/Brown -

Rear Sub Thick Brown +
Thick Blue -

LH Passenger Side:
Front Sub Red/Yellow +
Red/Brown -

Door Mid Blue/White +
Blue/Brown -

Door Tweeter Yellow/Red +
Yellow/Brown -

Rear Mid Yellow/Black +
Yellow/Brown -

Rear Sub Thick Brown +
Thick Yellow -

These wires are all twisted pairs and a labelled primary colour first second colour is the stripe.

Additional wires are:

Line out left Yellow/Red +
Brown/Orange -

Line out Right Blue/Red +
Brown/Orange -

The all white wire is switched 12v so good for remote

Thick red +

Thick Brown -

Hope these are all accurate i spent a lot of time identifying them.

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Just received confirmation that my amp was delivered today...hoping to hear back from you on this so I can proceed with the install.

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:14 pm

Great job on the wire ID...im going to compare your ID with my US harness to see what similarities they share (if any)

jasonf14

Post by jasonf14 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:52 pm

The only crazy thing about the wiring i found is that the tweeter and door mid wires swap colours when the get to the door. I learnt this because i first tried identifying the wires by just looking at the back of the speakers. I found my mistake when i tested each speaker individually. This might due to cars being built in LHD and RHD sharing the same door loom just reversed.

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:21 pm

Today is the day!

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Ok I'm confused...Ill number my questions for ease of tracking them and finding answers.

1) when I turn on my head unit it's sending power to 8 total wires...all are pairs as follows. (Yellow/black and brown/Orange) (yellow/red and brown/orange) (blue/black and brown/orange) (blue/red and brown/orange)

Im assuming these are the wires to be converted to rca and plugged into the amp? If so, how do they combine?

2) I have 10 total pairs of speaker wires. The amp has 4 channels and + 1 sub output. How do you consolidate the speaker wires into those 4+1 outputs?

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:16 am

Ok my install...overall not bad.

Cut the factory harness at the clip.

Then I began identifying speakers and inputs etc

At this point I had to research how to properly splice speaker wires to an rca plug

I'm done for now but I still need to find a source for the 12v remote power cause for some reason the solid white wire is dead back at the amp...maybe a mis wire in the front when I wired the new head unit

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:18 am

I will note that the alpine amp is a complete power house...even at mid level gain I could hardly hit 5 on the head unit volume scale without blowing insane sound out of the speakers

jasonf14

Post by jasonf14 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:26 pm

There is another switched 12v its a white wire with a stripe on its own not twisted. I will take a look at my loom later and see what colour the stripe is.

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:30 pm

Thanks, I found the issue...my original wiring of the new head unit to remote wire was a poor connection. I pulled the head unit back out and tracked down the location where the connection issue was...once repaired im now all set.

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:33 pm

Threw a spare 12" kenwood sub in the trunk and wired it to my sub channel off the amp. Had to run a separate rca off the back of the head unit, under the steering column, under the front carpet, up through the rear trunk wiring port. Once that was done the sub was easy : )

Certainly completes the system sound...I love it.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:05 pm

03z4 wrote:Threw a spare 12" kenwood sub in the trunk and wired it to my sub channel off the amp. Had to run a separate rca off the back of the head unit, under the steering column, under the front carpet, up through the rear trunk wiring port. Once that was done the sub was easy : )

Certainly completes the system sound...I love it.
Did you use the low level connection on the head unit in one of the smaller plugs, which head unit do you have an what year.
Thanks
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:44 am

I removed the stock carver and installed a Sony with bluetooth...I used the low level to power the alpine amp and speakers and then ran a separate set of RCA from the head unit to the amp in order to power the sub

mrjmt

Post by mrjmt » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:06 pm

Looking at this with interest as my Z4 is missing the Carver amp and also has an aftermarket headunit fitted.

Is there something special about the PDX-V9 amp that makes it suitable to power the Carver subs? I believe their coils are 10 ohm impedance?

If not, can I just use any 4-channel amp, use 2 channels for the subs and the other 2 for the front components via crossovers?

Other option would be to replace the carver subs with a pair of 6x9 subs, then use a 4-channel amp as described above?

Edit: just re-read the original post, makes sense to parallel up the Carver subs to give a 5ohm load, still unsure about the actual configuration of the way the speakers connect to the amp? Are these connected to the dedicated sub channel on the amp, then the rear mids to 2 of the 4 normal channels followed by the fronts on the other 2 channels via the passive crossovers?