Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carver/DSP Delete - easier than expected

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Carver/DSP Delete - easier than expected

Post by sk93 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:15 pm

GuidoK wrote:You don't have block A fully pinned?
You're missing the rear speakers?
(pin 1,4,5, 8 )
That is really strange :?

This is my block and is fully pinned (also b and c block):

My car has all options (tv, hifi prof dsp, navi, bluetoot etc etc etc), so I also have the subs and speakers behind the seats (hifi professional)
Hifi professional is option S677A in the bmw vin options check.
What are the last 7 characters of your vin? I have LR90594
I'm not sure but it looks like your dsp system is totally differently wired than mine :scratchhead:

based on your picture, and the text in the sticker, you've got navigation?
Do you have a picture of the top of your headunit with all the stickers and part numbers?
This is mine:
:zzzz:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:37 pm

sk93 wrote: based on your picture, and the text in the sticker, you've got navigation?
Yes, I have navi prof.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:40 pm

sk93, which pin are you using to turn on your amp?
YouTube channel with car vlogs in my zed!
Please subscribe and share my videos with fellow enthusiasts!

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:43 pm

Hi I just installed a new head unit in my 03z4 yesterday only to find out that I have dsp and this have no sound from my system with the new head unit. Based on the title of this thread im wondering if I can install a different amp and get my stock speakers working with the new head unit I installed?

Thanks,

Nate

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:56 pm

03z4 wrote:Hi I just installed a new head unit in my 03z4 yesterday only to find out that I have dsp and this have no sound from my system with the new head unit. Based on the title of this thread im wondering if I can install a different amp and get my stock speakers working with the new head unit I installed?

Thanks,

Nate
sure can

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:57 pm

igeak691 wrote:sk93, which pin are you using to turn on your amp?
there's a pin in the main amp plug that is 12v switched. I'm using that.
What pin it was, I can't remember, but it's definately available in the standard amp plug.

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:05 pm

sk93 wrote:
03z4 wrote:Hi I just installed a new head unit in my 03z4 yesterday only to find out that I have dsp and this have no sound from my system with the new head unit. Based on the title of this thread im wondering if I can install a different amp and get my stock speakers working with the new head unit I installed?

Thanks,

Nate
sure can
That's great news...so you took apart the harness where it plugged into the amp and then wired it yourself into the new aftermarket amp? No custom wiring up front from the stock harness to the aftermarket head unit?

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:12 pm

03z4 wrote:
sk93 wrote:

Thanks,

Nate
sure can
That's great news...so you took apart the harness where it plugged into the amp and then wired it yourself into the new aftermarket amp? No custom wiring up front from the stock harness to the aftermarket head unit?
exactly. ZERO wiring required up front, as everything you need is contained within the AMP loom plug.

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:22 pm

I Hate to bother with so many questions but I'm no electronic pro...I've done probably 10 amp/ sub installs and countless head unit installs but this dsp elimination is a first for me

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:35 pm

03z4 wrote:I Hate to bother with so many questions but I'm no electronic pro...I've done probably 10 amp/ sub installs and countless head unit installs but this dsp elimination is a first for me
Tis quite alright. It was my first too, and I really wish I'd taken photos of the plug decomposition.

If memory serves, the power and IBUS wires are obviously different to everything else, and the four remaining thicker wires are the subs.
From the rest are two lineouts (one + and one -), and then the remaining (10 wires remain I believe) are all speakers.

To discover the two lineouts, I used a spare speaker, turned the headunit on, and put one wire to a terminal on said speaker, then went through the other wires tapping them on the other speaker terminal until it made some noise.
If I went through all the wires without any noise, I'd mark the current wire as a 'speaker wire', stick another wire on the terminal and repeat the process.
It didn't take all that long to find both lineouts :)
You could probably take each wire through the speaker, then direct to ground to find them even quicker maybe?

For detecting the speakers, I used a 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack cable plugged into my iPod.
I then repeated the process for finding the lineouts, marking each pair.
You could probably use a multimeter here, but I was getting spurious results which I put down to a dodgy meter and/or dodgy ground somewhere...

Once I'd got the pairs sorted, I used a single AA battery to work out the speaker polarity.
This involved taking the speaker covers / doorcard off, but wasn't too much effort.

Then it was just a case of wiring it all up - INCLUDING the passive crossovers for the tweeters.

As I say, it took about 4 hours from start to finish. The old amp was already out, but the wiring was still in the factory location and condition (eg, I'd not pulled apart the plug yet).
Knowing everything I do now, I reckon it's a 2.5 - 3 hours.
Having a pinout would drop it to less than an hour :)

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:49 pm

Wow thanks so much...I can't wait to get digging into this! Do you still recommend the alpine amp you purchased?

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:53 pm

absolutely!

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:12 pm

Alpine PDX-V9 order placed...once that gets here I can finally work on getting my speakers working again! Been forced to take my blue tooth speaker to work with me and set it in pass seat so I don't have to deal with silence during my 1 hour commute!

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:53 pm

did you have to put RCA cable ends on the signal wires from the head unit so they could plug into the amp?

03z4

Post by 03z4 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:40 pm

@ SK93