Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bumper / Headlight Repair

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Thuzbuz

Bumper / Headlight Repair

Post by Thuzbuz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi guys,

first proper forum post here, but have been a regular visitor here since getting my 2003 2.5 in February, which I absolutely love. Am a bit of a noob mechanically (but not completely terrified of the job either), and am probably more chuffed with myself than I should be at having so far installed an aux cable and retrofitted cruise control with the help of the guide on this forum, but am now looking to deal with a rather larger issue, namely the front bumper, which was a bit damaged when I bought the car.

As you can see from the below, the front right hand side the bumper hangs a little lower than it does on the left, also the headlight is a bit recessed. Although there’s a little bit of play when you press on it, it still feels pretty firmly attached. My suspicion is that the previous owner bumped something gently (note the scuff mark on the front which has penetrated the clear coat) and broke the plastic tabs on the bumper and headlight (the ones designed to break when you whack a pedestrian, as I understand it). Have been a bit nervous of taking the thing off in case I can’t put it back together again.

Questions:
· Does this look like what’s happened to you?

· If so, is there a tab repair kit available for sensible money that a non technical expert such as me could use?

· How long do you think the total repair job would likely take?

· Any other thoughts – I’d really like to avoid forking out cash to a garage to fix something like this…

Thanks!

Charlie

2003 2.5i in Sterling Grey
Mods: Aux-in | Cruise Control

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Bumper / Headlight Repair

Post by AlanJ » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:00 am

Certainly look like the headlight has been pushed in and will significantly affect the beam aim - potentially dazzling oncoming traffic! An MOT fail...... :(

Would need to remove the headlight unit I would suggest to investigate further - perhaps the securing tabs have snapped....

Oh.....welcome to the Forum :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Thuzbuz

Post by Thuzbuz » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:46 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Had the bumper off today and the news is not great - three of the four support tabs for the light are completely sheared / broken. Interestingly the car passed its most recent MOT with the lights like this...

While my guess is that part number 63126932824 will help with repairing two of the tabs, the one shown below wouldn't be fixable.

Does anyone know whether this matters - for example this bloke on ebay seems to think his light was ok without one, but then he would say that...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-Z4-E85-He ... 19f380e6f7

I'm also going to need one of these: 51117165180 (bumper attachment bracket) and think it sensible to get some of these: 07119904288 (8mm hex screws) as the existing ones have been worn down to almost unturnable with a spanner.

Is Soper or someone else likely to be able to get these in for me, or should I look to order from the various US based websites that seem to have them available?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help! :) :thumbsup: :)

Charlie

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:02 am

Tab repair kit is about £10 or so. Sadly the upper bracket is about £27. You can get them from any dealer.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Thuzbuz

Post by Thuzbuz » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:24 am

Awesome - don't suppose you have a part number for the upper bracket replacement?
Not obvious from the realoem pages I've checked out...
Thanks!
Charlie

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:45 pm

Give me a bit of time today/tonight and I'll see if I can find the invoice. I had to replace mine as it was looking a little droopy. did both sides. You'll also want the one use plastic rivets for the wheel arch liner.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Liam-O

Post by Liam-O » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:53 pm

I've got a complete unit with all tabs in place if you decided you wanted to go with an undamaged one instead of repairing
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

Thuzbuz

Post by Thuzbuz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for the help - have ordered a bunch of parts from Soper. Will let you know how I get on at the weekend.

Liam-O, I'll have a go at fixing this one myself and if I fail will PM you to see if we can sort something on your spare headlight.

On a random note, as someone that's always taken my car straight to a garage when I find something wrong, I must say that I'm finding doing even the small fixes and mods incredibly satisfying, not to mention £££-saving! :)

Charlie