Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Can I swap these stock head units?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
aarkayna

Can I swap these stock head units?

Post by aarkayna » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:36 pm

Recently I replaced the center air vent unit as some of the fins inside had become busted and flopped around. When I ordered the part from the dealership they mentioned that the original part # was discontinued and superseded by a new one but that it was the same part. What wasn't clear was that the newer part came in the darker charcoal black where the original one from the 2003 year was that sort of gray color. All good, I actually like the darker charcoal black more. However, my stereo head unit no longer matches the vent unit sitting next to it and it looks odd. My stereo head unit also has a pretty badly fading LED screen so I figured I would go ahead and replace the unit and get it matching.

However, I am not sure if I can just straight swap the head units without also running into issues with the DSP, the plugs in the back of the unit or how it mounts to the console. My current unit is the Business CD and the DSP unit in the trunk. I found this head unit on Ebay and looks like the same thing but the newer year when they started to make them in the black.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08-BMW ... fresh=true

Is there any reason I couldn't directly swap these two head units? If they don't directly swap - is it possible to do it with some sort of adapter unit?

Thanks!

srhutch

Re: Can I swap these stock head units?

Post by srhutch » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:58 am

That should be fine, only issue might be the DSP but I'm pretty sure all head units are the same.

You will benefit from MP3 cd on the newer one.

Worst case is you have to swap the front panels over and use your existing head unit. It has been done before.