Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Roof Motor Replacement

Discount codes and service & product offerings from forum members
dell

Re: Z4 Roof Motor Replacement £600

Post by dell » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:38 pm

Another satisfied customer here, recommended!

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Damn - now you guys have got me all worried again about the noise from my new motor when closing the roof (the very last stage). I've been told that increased noise is normal with a new motor, but mine is more as described by a couple of other members in this thread - very loud and a bit embarrassing. Trouble is, it's over 12 months now and probably out of warranty. Not to mention I bought it from the States so shipping there and back would be a big PITA....
Sigh... at least it 'works' ok.
Edit - just wondering, does anyone know what the actual fault was with noisy motors that were replaced as faulty? Might be something that can be fixed without replacing it?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

cherrym

Post by cherrym » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:40 pm

My motor was changed in August 2014 and was noisy at final close also from day one.It has never gotten any louder and works perfectly so I dont worry about it.
[*]Sold,Silver grey 2007 2.5si Sport convertible.previous 03 2.7boxter,2.0 MX5,Golf R,2.9Boxster,golf gti,Now Z4 e23i and M135i

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:39 am

cherrym wrote:My motor was changed in August 2014 and was noisy at final close also from day one.It has never gotten any louder and works perfectly so I dont worry about it.
This is what I want to hear... stop worrying about the noise. But other members have had theirs replaced as faulty and don't have the overly loud noise anymore. So I still wonder what's causing it? It's the engineering side of me that wants to know, and won't listen to the pragmatist that just says get over it and move on....
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

JINGLE

Re: Z4 Roof Motor Replacement £580

Post by JINGLE » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:20 am

ive had mine for a year now, previous owner said he had motor replaced and had removed the sound deadening (said it was to stop any water that did get in there, from soaking up and sitting around the motor) and its made a noise the whole time and still works fine :)

MikeMcG

Re: Z4 Roof Motor Replacement £580

Post by MikeMcG » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:58 pm

I had the dreaded motor failure a couple of weeks ago on my Z4MR!
Put the roof down and the GF said she thought the roof went down slower than normal, but I can't say I noticed, but to be honest, I wasn't really looking. Anyway, it went down, then wouldn't go back up again. The latches still worked, but the roof didn't want to budge. After putting it up manually, I searched the forum and found the old posts from Bowser134 (Ross).
Luckily for me, this guy was 23 miles up the road, so I got in touch through the forum and managed to book my car in for the much more reasonable price of £580, using a brand new BMW motor that comes with a two year warranty.
I drove to Ross's today, left him with the car and he dropped me and the GF into his local town where we had a meal and three hours chilling in the local pub.
Ross showed me the old motor and it wasn't actually that bad, but definitely corroded. He said quite a bit of water came out when he cleared the drainage channels out.
Anyway, I now have a nice new motor, clear drainage channels and most importantly, a roof that works.

If anyone else needs this done, I can only say that I am more than happy with the work Ross did and wouldn't think twice about using him again, really decent chap.

Mike

bowser134

Is there a market for roof motor relocation?

Post by bowser134 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi,

As many of you know from experience I've been replacing roof motors for a long time now on the forum and not had one fail since. I've had a few enquiries recently about relocating to the boot and considering offering this service after deeming it feasible. Is the general consensus now that this would be preferred over the factory location and used as a preventative measure before a failure?

Your thoughts are welcomed :)

mj2k

Re: Is there a market for roof motor relocation?

Post by mj2k » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:23 pm

From my perspective, very much so.

I saw you'd worked on Wilbo's car & are local, so will be looking you up for a few things when they need doing!

Matt
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:29 pm

Pretty sure there's a market for it... My new one I had installed in the boot
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:30 pm

Most definitely! I'd be very interested depending on the price.

Re-location to the boot seems perfect. As long as it's a good looking finish e.g a piece of carpeted metal or plastic bent around the motor in the boot.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:34 pm

ben g wrote:Most definitely! I'd be very interested depending on the price.

Re-location to the boot seems perfect. As long as it's a good looking finish e.g a piece of carpeted metal or plastic bent around the motor in the boot.
Mine is fitted to the bulkhead behind the original felt... No need for any extra tidying up :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Well that sounds even better then! Definitely worth doing.

I have read that the roof doesn't need to be removed for this? Is this correct?
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

riddzz666

Post by riddzz666 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:08 pm

Yes
My motor has failed,was clearing drains but alas not enough and it died
It was replaced by previous owner in 2012 but no idea if it was a new pump ect ect
I would only replace/sort if the motor goes in the boot

Regards
Matt

jnwright71

Post by jnwright71 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi Ross,

Definitely. This would have been my preference when you did mine in the summer, so it is great news you have confirmed it is something you could offer.

This has to be the risk free option for the future, especially if you don't own a garage.

I would have gladly paid a premium as, I am sure, would others.

Cheers, James
2006 Z4 2.5si roadster - Silvergrey, oregon peal grey leather, cruise, BT

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:12 pm

If and I hope I never have to, I'd definitely prefer boot location.