Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Unleaded or Super

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Unleaded or Super

Post by markeg » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:11 pm

domsz4 wrote:yay a petrol post

can you really call the quality of fuel into question in the same way you would a carrot?
Yes, IMO. So I did. :)
domsz4 wrote:... its all made to the same BS standard is it not? the only major difference being the additives and age. so fuel from supermarkets will be the same BS as that from shell.
Just because its BS, doesn't make it quality. As I mentioned, there is a lot of conflicting information out there about how supermarket fuel is blended from all the major suppliers, and then additives mixed in to raise the RON level/add detergents etc. Hence my food analogy. A carrot is a carrot, irrespective when you get it from. It meets certain standards, but they definitely taste different depending on where you buy them!
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:56 pm

The BS number just means the fuel has reached a MINIMUM standard.

It's no different to the food standards agency saying a sausage must contain at least 15% meat to be called a sausage. Would you prefer a 'butcher's choice' sausage with 20% pork or an 'extra special' 90% pork sausage - both exceed the minimum requirements.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:10 pm

mmm-five wrote:The BS number just means the fuel has reached a MINIMUM standard.

It's no different to the food standards agency saying a sausage must contain at least 15% meat to be called a sausage. Would you prefer a 'butcher's choice' sausage with 20% pork or an 'extra special' 90% pork sausage - both exceed the minimum requirements.
I'd go for the 99 ron sausage everytime, they have more detergents in them as well :)
Regards

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:45 pm

What do folk think about using fuel additives like redline ?
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

RyanB88

Unleaded or Super

Post by RyanB88 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:55 pm

I've used super in mine since I've had it, and it seems to pop nicely on the over run as a result :)
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

Paulr

Unleaded or Super

Post by Paulr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:07 pm

In 2040 threads like this will not exist. Unless it is 'Supermarket Electricity is no where near as good as Shell SuperPositive 240v with Extra Electrons'.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

thecremeegg

Unleaded or Super

Post by thecremeegg » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:41 am

Super for me I'm afraid.
I did put tank of normal unleaded in the other day as I was caught short and the throttle response was noticeably worse, as was the low range pickup.
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

Buckz

Unleaded or Super

Post by Buckz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:03 am

RyanB88 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:55 pm I've used super in mine since I've had it, and it seems to pop nicely on the over run as a result :)
I usually use Sainsbury's super and it pops loads. Have not compared it to shell or 95 thought.

derin100

Unleaded or Super

Post by derin100 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 am

I was just about to post on this topic.
We've literally just come back from a very long run (from Lincolnshire to down to the Black Forest and Switzerland). As the filler cap says "Minimum 95" and I'm a tight git I never believed in putting anything more expensive in. However, accelerating at high speed/load I noticed a slight roughness. I changed to Super and the difference was pretty much instantly palpable! Absolutely smooth running engine throughout the rev range and even accelerating up inclines at triple figure speeds.

No more 95 for me from now on.
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black