Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Unleaded or Super

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Unleaded or Super

Post by Ewazix » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:52 pm

I think it's valid to re-visit this from time to time, fuel additives and industry standards are changing constantly and the RON rating is only a small part of the equation as certain brands definitely differ. They may be the same RON and come from the same producer but apparently have different additive specifications for some retailers.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Stu Boy

Post by Stu Boy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:56 pm

jan_tekin wrote:I mix with mine but tend to use super a lot more then normal. I remember when i was in Germany last year and they had 102 Ron which I had to try it out :D
Did you notice any change?
2007 Z4 ///M Roadster, Black Sapphire, Nav, Deflector, Eibach's, Bilstein B6's, OEM CSL's 6 Pot BMW Performance Calipers

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Adamski wrote:Oh Lordy - a thread about Unleaded vs Super....

Allow me to be more helpful, with a few reading suggestions :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12594

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20487

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12463

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73683

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13459

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54734
I raise your triple facepalm given the number of other threads on the matter

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:32 pm

NeilP wrote:
Adamski wrote:Oh Lordy - a thread about Unleaded vs Super....

Allow me to be more helpful, with a few reading suggestions :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20487

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12463

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73683

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13459

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54734
I raise your triple facepalm given the number of other threads on the matter

:? :roll:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

BrianD

Post by BrianD » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Its not just ///M related adamski :P

I see nothing wrong with revisitng the topic from time to time for the benefit of new members. If people disagree or have issues with it being revisited again, then they don't have to read it.

Rant over :)
70 plate Z4 M40i - Alphine White, Magma Red trim plus all the toys and an OAP behind the wheel :D
Gone 62 Z4 35is sDrive Auto in white with 169K miles

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:53 pm

I would like to try rocket fuel in mine. But I fear I'd never be able to stop.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

BrianD

Post by BrianD » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Bing wrote:I would like to try rocket fuel in mine. But I fear I'd never be able to stop.
:driving: :) :driving: :D :driving: :thumbsup: :driving: :lol:
Last edited by BrianD on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
70 plate Z4 M40i - Alphine White, Magma Red trim plus all the toys and an OAP behind the wheel :D
Gone 62 Z4 35is sDrive Auto in white with 169K miles

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:59 pm

I usually use BP Ultimate or Shell V Power.

To be honest, on the rare occasions it's been fed "normal" I never noticed any difference.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Personally, I use V-Power every time, as I don't do much mileage.

But run a tank of 95 RON through your car and log the timing correction. You'll see barely any at all. Your BMW is designed to run on whatever sh*t fuel the country the car was delivered to would just so happen to pump out and has to be able to run on the poorest quality fuel that's been in the tanks for weeks of the most desolate un-used petrol station on the planet without causing damage to the engine.

That said and done - If you love the car, give it the best fuel :)

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:31 pm

nfbr wrote: If you love the car, give it the best fuel :)
Totally agree :thumbsup:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:39 pm

BrianD wrote:Its not just ///M related adamski :P

I see nothing wrong with revisitng the topic from time to time for the benefit of new members. If people disagree or have issues with it being revisited again, then they don't have to read it.

Rant over :)
Rant away Brian - we all need a rant somtimes :wink:

On a constructive note - I did offer lots of background reading so that the OP could read some of the previous discussions to better inform the decision making process :thumbsup:

'Cos I'm helpful like that innit 8)
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

AlexZ4-CZ

Post by AlexZ4-CZ » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:01 am

I do fill my Zed with 98+ octane fuel... Preferably "OMV MaxxMotion 100" (Czech, Germany, Austria) or any 98+ octane anywhere else. I did fill it with 95 octane fuel a few times and noticed slightly uneven run when idle... otherwise not much difference. But I love the car, so what the heck, I give him the best available... I want to eat the best, why shouldn't my car :)
2007 BMW Z4 2.5si Roadster, Monaco Blue, New England/Beige leather heated seats, Fine wood trim, SatNav, HiFi, Stubby...

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:29 pm

Super :fuelfire:
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:51 am

There is also a school of thought on the standard of the fuel, as well as the RON - and particularly referencing additives. You can spend a lot of time researching, asking questions, getting confused..... but in the end it all boils down to personal choice.

Here's my logic; I don't shop for food in certain supermarkets as the quality isn't as good, and I like food to be best quality, not a filler. Food is a pleasure, and I prefer to pay more to eat and savour food. Others would differ, and that's their choice. My choice is to go for quality, as IMO life is too short to scrimp on the pleasures, and I pay for the quality that I can afford.

Its similar for my car - the DD gets supermarket fuel, as its a high mileage cruncher and if it goes I replace it with another. My zed, however, is a different matter - its a performance car, a hobby, one of my (main) pastimes, and one of my pleasures so I take care with it and invest in it. It gets serviced at reputable garages, by mechanics I know and trust. Parts are always OEM or better, and fluids are highest quality - including petrol. Financially it might not make sense, and I may not get the mileage/performance/investment returns out of it, but that's not what I am looking for.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:33 pm

yay a petrol post

can you really call the quality of fuel into question in the same way you would a carrot? its all made to the same BS standard is it not? the only major difference being the additives and age. so fuel from supermarkets will be the same BS as that from shell. maybe the age is different. i did read alot about the supermarkets buying on a market that was basically fed by the big producers when their fuel is a certain age. cant remember the specifics but its something daft like the base fuel from shell is made on day 1and used only by shell then on day 7 whats left in a tank at the refinery is then sold on the open market to everyone else. respective additives are added at the point of it going into the transport tanker.

As for the ron rating the hand book for my 3.0i says 95 or higher. i believe the N52 is 98+. just to add confusion my filler cap says 92-100!
Proud Whip owner ;)