Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Snapped Wing Mirror Advice

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Danderton

Snapped Wing Mirror Advice

Post by Danderton » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:13 am

Hi All

Came out to my zed this morning to find my drivers side wing mirror has been snapped off. It must have been hit with some force as its broken right through what looks like metal.

It was parked on my driveway, which has my neighbours drive next to it. Either my neighbour is very clumsy and has smashed it, or someone has gone out of their way to walk on to my drive and smash it off.

Anyway, I'm after some advice on the best way to repair it. It's an electric folding mirror. Currently its only held to the car with the electric cable.

Is there a way to repair? Or do I need a whole new mirror?

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

Thanks in advance

Dan
Model: Sterling Grey 3.0i Z4 Roadster
Upgrades: M Steering Wheel : ZHP : 224 Alloys : Black Kidneys : Clear Repeaters : Pioneer X580DAB : Stubby

-Tom-

Re: Snapped Wing Mirror Advice

Post by -Tom- » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:18 am

complete bodge but araldite the frame with the cover off, then reassemble. or fibreglass. Otherwise mirror from a breakers and see if you can transplant the innards into the frame.
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:31 am

Seem to remember a thread from someone with the same problem who had it re-glued. Unfortunately I don't think the repair lasted very long as you've got weight and vibration at the end of a relatively slim fixing. I tried to search, but all I got was lots of returns for wing mirrors dropping out...
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

Danderton

Post by Danderton » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:35 am

Any idea which part of the mirror is the folding part? I could try and glue but worried ill press the fold button and it will have a fit.
Upgrades: M Steering Wheel : ZHP : 224 Alloys : Black Kidneys : Clear Repeaters : Pioneer X580DAB : Stubby

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Don't use Araldite , use this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/32095849 ... 0&ff14=108

really good stuff, strip the mirror down and this will fuse it back together, i had the same problem and this worked for 12 months before i replaced the unit .

Dewi

Post by Dewi » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:16 pm

Try this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... quid-metal

The key to using any adhesive to repair a break is preparation. The surfaces will have to be 100% clean and grease free so you'll need a good degreaser, I go to my local auto paint shop and get a tin of "Panel Wipe", I buy it in 5 litre tins as it has many uses around the garage - wear protective rubber gloves with it though. It'll degrease most things (including your skin) without damaging the surrounding area and it'll leave a 100% grease free surface ready to bond to.

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:01 pm

don't use any normal adhesive, use this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PVOdRx4SSA

its awesome :)

Danderton

Post by Danderton » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:22 pm

Thanks for advice. I've bubble wrapped it in the mean time so that it doesn't knock against the car in the wind.

Annoying when something happens like this that was no fault of my own, yet it's going to cost me £300-£400 to fix properly. You'd think your car would be safe tucked up on your own driveway well away from a road. But obviously not. :(

If anyone has a spare wing mirror going or spots a sterling grey one on ebay let me know.

Thanks

Dewi

Post by Dewi » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:38 am

Pity you don't live nearer,

Danderton

Post by Danderton » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:18 pm

Dewi wrote:Pity you don't live nearer,
Why's that?