Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remus exhaust fitted

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Rory

Remus exhaust fitted

Post by Rory » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi folks

So I finally got my Remus exhaust fitted, only been sitting in the garage since December! It requires cutting the standard exhaust just after the cats. A mechanic friend in the garage I work in fitted it for me in about an hour with no troubles.

So how does it sound? On idle its very quiet and you cant really tell its there, then revving it on the spot its just a bit deeper but not loud.

On the move its certainly louder, its loudest when under load between 1500-2000rpm. This was the only part I was a bit disappointed with, my car had the sound generator mod and that combined with the exhaust made for a bit much boom at those rpms, so I put the sound gen back to standard which has made it acceptable. The exhaust gets a lot louder when hot but sounds good IMO- I definitely wouldn't want it any louder, and this is for a weekend / good weather toy where Id be willing to accept something a bit more lairy than my daily driver. I don't think Id put it on for a daily driver TBH but maybe Im getting old at 34 lol.

One thing that has surprised me is its actually helped the performance a lot. Its the first sports exhaust Ive ever fitted to a car that's actually made it quicker, in fact I fitted one to a Toyota Supra which made it a lot slower!
Where it seems to really help is between 3000-4500rpm , it pulls a lot harder and seems freer , something my brother who I share the car with agrees on. So that was a nice surprise!

I will get some video on here eventually when I have the free time and a camera man to help me out :thumbsup:
2005 3.0i SE Manual Sterling Grey. Stubby, strut brace, Koni adjustables, Remus exhaust, M steering wheel, wheel spacers. Owned 9 years now 😲 summer use only
VW Polo Gt daily

pokeybritches

Re: Remus exhaust fitted

Post by pokeybritches » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:05 pm

If you overtighten the nuts on the hangers, it can lead to the boominess/drone you describe. There is a fine line between too loose and too tight. Too loose obviously you risk the nuts coming off. Too tight, and vibration will be translated to the cabin at certain resonating frequencies. Some people use rubber rings similar to washers to cancel out some of the vibrations.
Supercharged Z4 3.0i, 2x Supercharged Z4M

Rory

Post by Rory » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:12 pm

pokeybritches wrote:If you overtighten the nuts on the hangers, it can lead to the boominess/drone you describe. There is a fine line between too loose and too tight. Too loose obviously you risk the nuts coming off. Too tight, and vibration will be translated to the cabin at certain resonating frequencies. Some people use rubber rings similar to washers to cancel out some of the vibrations.
I might have a look at that, though I cant actually feel any vibrations coming through the car.
2005 3.0i SE Manual Sterling Grey. Stubby, strut brace, Koni adjustables, Remus exhaust, M steering wheel, wheel spacers. Owned 9 years now 😲 summer use only
VW Polo Gt daily

MigsAngel

Post by MigsAngel » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Rory....where did you order the exhaust from?

I need to replace my exhaust as it has now corroded....and BMW has none left....so i need to find an aftermarket option, and Remus sounds great....

Thanks...
Cheers
MigsAngel