Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

faz's interior swap

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
faz_b

faz's interior swap

Post by faz_b » Thu May 21, 2015 12:50 am

ello all :)

so I mentioned a while back on my newbie thread that I planned to swap out the interior when I bought it as I hate the champagne/cream leather. Virtually at the same time as buying the car I managed to find a complete red leather interior along with trim and carpet.

Guess what the postie bought me a couple of days back? ;)

crap picture I know, and difficult to tell in it but so far I have already:

- cleaned and conditioned the leather on the seats
- cleaned and conditioned leather on door cards
- installed leather trim on the ally centre console
- installed new gear gaitor
- installed new handbrake gaitor

Once I had put these in I realised the knee pads weren't in the best condition either, so have ordered new leather covers for them, and also a strip of leather to trim the ally that runs across the dashboard. Hopefully should have them in a few days maximum.

sods law there are one or two trim pieces I am missing (one kickwell speaker cover on passenger side, gear knob, handbrake lever, seat belt upper guides and cover next to the roll hoops on both sides) so I need to source all of these as well.

point is, will update this as I go along. A week or so I hope and I should be just about done with swapping the whole lot with a bit of luck (and good weather!)
Black '07 3.0si manual / aero skirts / matt black 19" Hub alloys / black grill / ZHP / piano black trim / Red leather sport seats

Jaw

Re: faz's interior swap

Post by Jaw » Thu May 21, 2015 2:00 am

ah man there's something I've always loved about a red interior :thumbsup:
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Thu May 21, 2015 7:41 am

Good project. So how much was all that new interior and was in from a breakers yard?

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Thu May 21, 2015 8:21 am

Are you planing to make love to it, it all being on your bed? :D

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:52 am

What happened or is happening to your original beige interior? Was it just the colour your didn't like or its condition?
2.2R Toledo Blue

faz_b

Post by faz_b » Thu May 21, 2015 1:23 pm

Managed to get the entire interior for £565 Inc delivery from Leicester to London so all in not a bad deal at all. By the time I add on all the bits (extra leather trim, gear know and a few other small bits) I would probably be around the 650 to 700quid mark.

The original beige will probably be sold after I strip it. It's not in the best condition, has a small hole in the carpet on the driver side and the drivers seat bolster is quite worn. Will also need a thorough clean. But on the basis of that I'll probably let the entire interior go for 220quid. Cheap!

As for the making love thing.... I was already in the afterglow by that pic :p
Black '07 3.0si manual / aero skirts / matt black 19" Hub alloys / black grill / ZHP / piano black trim / Red leather sport seats

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu May 21, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm sure it will look fab. Other than the bed jammed into the car.

faz_b

Post by faz_b » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:42 pm

right then... here we go!!!

I used a couple of guides and youtube videos to reference how to remove certain elements of the interior so I am just going to bullet point the order in which i did things and the main basic points in how to swap it all out.

tools required:
- full socket set
- phillips screw drive ( various sizes)
- flat screw drriver (varrious sizes)
- set of torx head drivers (T15, T20, T25 and T30)
- panel release tools (ideally, can be done with out if neccessary)
- stanley/carpet knife
- superglue

Order of removal (some of these can be varied a little, some can not and must be done before the item before to get to it. This order does work for sure though so for those who are planning a complete swap it can be done this way:

1) remove old door cards and install new ones
2) remove seats
3) remove upper rear centre console
4) remove gear knob and handbrake surround
5) remove lower centre console
6) remove roll bar covers
7) remove plastic pockets behind seats (or speaker covers and speaker unit depending on what specification you have)
8) remove plastic trim behind seats
9) remove plastic trim under roll bar hoops
10) remove plastic trims on the side of each footwell,
11) remove plastic trim in upper section of both footwells
12) remove accelerator pedal
13) remove rear carpet
14) remove front carpet

putting it back together is in precisely the opposite order.

a few points to note.

- I cheated on the front carpet as removal would normally require removable of the entire dashboard which i wasn't wanting to do, so to get it out i ended up cutting a small section (about 20cm x 30cm) which sits under the dashboard and is hidden when the centre console is installed again. This does save a huge amount of installation time and effort though and makes no difference to the end result.
- I made the mistake of connecting the battery while one of the seats was disconnected (idiot!) now I have to get the airbag light re-set
- total time to swap out whole interior was about 8-9 hours with a couple of stops for tea/drinks/ciggies etc
- the most obvious point is to clean the entire new interior BEFORE you install it. makes the finish way better.

here we go then...

old door card off:

new one on:

second door card switched and seats out:

upper centre console, roll hoops and plastic trims all out (note the bottle to the roof a few inches above the locked position!)

side panel trims and rear carpet out:

everything out!!! (note the small section of cream carpet still under the dash. that is the piece that I cut around and left in position)

interior cleaned, new (valeted!) carpet front and rear in position. remember at this point to feed ALL cables through the relevant holes in carpet

bit of a jump forward, loads of plastic trims re-installed, centre console in with all new leather trims/gaitors (I had done these before)

detail shot of it:

seats back in, virtually finished:

Thats the lot for now, still have a few small bits to take care of but massively pleased with the result. only small issue I discovered is my new seats arent heated so I now need to take the heating element out of the old ones and switch em into the new one.

thats all for now folks!

thoughts and comments welcome. :)
Last edited by faz_b on Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

faz_b

Post by faz_b » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:43 pm

hmmmm. thats weird, all images were linked the right way. not sure why they arent showing???!!

Marvin-HHGTTG

Post by Marvin-HHGTTG » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:47 pm

Are your photos private? I just tried one of the URLs and it comes up with an error message (page cannot be found) on Photobucket
Current: BMW E39 M5 | Gone: '06 Z4 3.0si Coupe, '03 Z4 2.5i Roadster

Leesfarm07

Post by Leesfarm07 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:00 am

must admit id love a dark red interior in mine 8)
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5

faz_b

Post by faz_b » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:47 am

Links repaired! something to do with transfering images from my phone to laptop. just uploaded from the phone and seem to work ok now

BradleyB

Post by BradleyB » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:51 am

Great work.. Looks so much better!
'56 ///MR

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:52 am

Good work :thumbsup:

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:21 am

Looks great!
2007 3.0SI Roadster leather/auto/Carver-Logic7
stereo system/xenons/sport/108s/ LeatherZ MK4 armrest/ Ultimate
Cupholders/ GROM BMW Mini 98-06 trunk USB Android iPhone car integration adapter kit

R.I.P. Dice Mediabridge 1500. 2010-2023.