Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Jingles White Z progress thread!! (PICTURE HEAVY)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:18 pm

Left field question, but what are you putting your axel stands under on the front?
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:33 pm

Worcester_spoon wrote:Left field question, but what are you putting your axel stands under on the front?
tbh i was gonna post another thread asking this, im not sure if where i put them are the safest place, i put it on the wishbone arm, not sure if its the best place or not but was only for 5-10 mins while i quickly done the fixing for the undertray up

EDIT:

here's a pic I took at the time, could somebody comment if this is a good or bad place so I know for next time?

evom3z4

Post by evom3z4 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:56 pm

Autovisiondetailing wrote:
JINGLE wrote:had slight wind noise at high speeds so tilted drivers side window glass in a little bit, using these adjusters:

under door cover caps:

covers removed and bolt adjusted:
I could do with doing this. My passenger side has a lot of wind noise at 60mph!!
I have wind noise too.. .bloody annoying, where are the adjusters located?
m3evo smg (arrrghh!)
z3m roadster
Now in a Z4 3.0 SE Roadster Silver with Red Leather, Nav, Heated Seats, Angel eyes, stubby, Cruise, hard top
2013* new addition E36 M3 Evo! (couldn't resist!) and then the engine went pop :headbang:
Audi coupe 2.6 :P

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:05 am

evom3z4 wrote:
Autovisiondetailing wrote:
JINGLE wrote:had slight wind noise at high speeds so tilted drivers side window glass in a little bit, using these adjusters:

under door cover caps:

covers removed and bolt adjusted:
I could do with doing this. My passenger side has a lot of wind noise at 60mph!!
I have wind noise too.. .bloody annoying, where are the adjusters located?
open your door and look along the bottom edge, towards the rear of the door, theres 2 plastic covers, use a pry tool and just pop them out. then just undo the bolt and tilt your window in (careful not to do it too much otherwise u will put the glass under too much pressure when shut) and then once your happy with the angle tighten it up and carefully close door and double check you have a nice tight seal and once happy pop covers back on (if you have to adjust it a couple of times to get the correct angle/seal then do it, no point just accepting the 1st adjustment if its not right)

hope that helps :)

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:52 am

JINGLE wrote:
Worcester_spoon wrote:Left field question, but what are you putting your axel stands under on the front?
tbh i was gonna post another thread asking this, im not sure if where i put them are the safest place, i put it on the wishbone arm, not sure if its the best place or not but was only for 5-10 mins while i quickly done the fixing for the undertray up

EDIT:

here's a pic I took at the time, could somebody comment if this is a good or bad place so I know for next time?

I don't think you're supposed to put jacks where you have, but I'd love for someone to tell me otherwise, as I'm looking for somewhere to put jacks, other than the two plastic jacking points either side behind the front wheels.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:15 am

That's the thing, I have 1 jack and 2 jack stands and I needed it to be high enough for me to get under for 5 mins so did that, hopefully somebody can clarify if it's wrong, if so then where's best for the future :)

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:15 am

3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

philip27

Post by philip27 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:52 am

Good days work there car is looking good.
Went to the dark side Porsche Cayman 987s
Crimson Red E89 23i - :(
Maldives Blue E85 2.5i - Sold :(

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:50 am

as my air scoop and bracket are both broken i had to replace:

broken scoop and bracket on car:

new scoop:

1st coat red:

finished in red:

new scoop and new bracket ready to go on car:

Silva1

Post by Silva1 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:22 pm

I take off wheels on a day or weekly basis and never had a problem with putting an axle stand underneath the wishbone. Just make sure its closer to the part where its connected to the vehicle rather than towards the wheel and brake assembly

ba3bas

Post by ba3bas » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:37 pm

Good work jingle, progress looks good.
Nothing beats a few days of fettling.

Regarding axle stands, why dont you jack up the car from the middle. About where the door handle is.

If you look under the car youll see a lip running across. Under that is the chassis frame.

I can do a how to video if it pleases anyone next time i jack up the car.
Untitled by Ba3bas, on Flickr

Silva1

Post by Silva1 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:15 pm

But he will still require to place the axle in a secure position where it will take most of the weight

I wouldn't work under a car where the axle isn't taking the weight of the engine!

ba3bas

Post by ba3bas » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:56 pm

Silva1 wrote:But he will still require to place the axle in a secure position where it will take most of the weight

I wouldn't work under a car where the axle isn't taking the weight of the engine!
What I should have explained is by jacking up from the middle you can place the axle stand on the axle pad then do the same on the other side.

This is all good on the basis you have a low profile jack
Untitled by Ba3bas, on Flickr

jakblade

Post by jakblade » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:36 pm

JINGLE wrote:That's the thing, I have 1 jack and 2 jack stands and I needed it to be high enough for me to get under for 5 mins so did that, hopefully somebody can clarify if it's wrong, if so then where's best for the future :)
I only have 1 jack Jingle. If you jack up on the rear plastic jacking point you should be able to get high enough to put stand under the front jacking point, then let jack off slowly and repeat for other side. I also usually slip few bits of wood under the rear wheels whilst it's up int'air gives a bit more room. :thumbsup:

Oh and make sure ground is level, my drive slopes a little bit so it can be a bit wobbly until all is supported.. :cry:
2004 2.5,clear fronts,sides,rears,stubby.Self quad conv+rear bumper, Aero's,108's,spacers, cruise, mfsw, 3.0l brake conv,m-tec discs.Modded Z4M bumper

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:19 pm

jakblade wrote: I only have 1 jack Jingle. If you jack up on the rear plastic jacking point you should be able to get high enough to put stand under the front jacking point, then let jack off slowly and repeat for other side. I also usually slip few bits of wood under the rear wheels whilst it's up int'air gives a bit more room. :thumbsup:
This is exactly what I do (except for wood under the wheels). A bit time consuming, but does the job. I also put a small square bit of wood between the jack and plastic jacking point to protect the plastic from the metal jack. A lot of US owners use a Hockey puck, but as they're not easily found in these parts, I make do with what I have :)
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport